News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is just a disgusting form of head tax to fund our bloated post secondary institutions. Bring in indentured servants who work to pay off their head tax (tuition) in exchange for the possibility of becoming a citizen in time.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with education as a business. What makes this exploitive, is making it a scheme to effectively get these young people to pay for PR. We aren't bringing these kids to educate them. We are bringing them here to fund our bloated academic sector and prop up housing.

As someone who does hiring, I definitely make the distinction between people who have relevant degrees from Canadian (or Western) institutions vs a degree from India with a 1 year business diploma in Canada. My struggle with the latter group is that some of them might be good candidates but it is very hard to determine if they are BS'ing you, especially if there is a bit of a language barrier.

And this is exactly the problem with all those useless 1 yr diplomas. Not enough time to learn a useful/hireable skill or even improve language skills. 1 yr diplomas used to be reserved for people who had relevant education prior and just wanted a new concentration. Now they are an immigration scheme. I'm surprised you even look at their resume.

1 yr diplomas used to be reserved for people who had relevant education prior and just wanted a new concentration. Now they are an immigration scheme.
That was me. In 1995 I graduated from uni in Ottawa with a 4yr BA in polysci and international relations. I followed this up with a 1yr post-diploma in international trade from George Brown College. The latter included everything I needed to join the workforce in the field, including international payments/finance, logistics, etc. plus two co-op terms in the field. From there I got my first job in freight forwarding, and from there moved to managing the international sales for a mid-sized food company, leading to roles that have taken me around the world.

I remember in 2019 sitting in the buyer’s office at Sam’s Club HQ in Shenzhen, just me and the translator, negotiating their big purchase, and reflecting on my path from immigrant to global sales guy. The university/college combo was perfect for me. Of course Sam‘s Club in China got destroyed by Costco’s arrival, but that’s not on me, lol

Trudeau needs to quit and announce a leadership campaign now. That’s what saved the OLP from destruction after McGuinty…. And conversely delaying the same was what destroyed the OLP after Wynne. Same goes for the PCs after Mulroney, waiting too long and then choosing Campbell for a glass cliff.

The trouble is, who would replace Trudeau? No Quebecers seem competent or notable enough, and I’m not sure the party can find success without one as leader. Certainly not since Pearson. Though I’d give Freeland or maybe Anand a fair shake.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with education as a business. What makes this exploitive, is making it a scheme to effectively get these young people to pay for PR. We aren't bringing these kids to educate them. We are bringing them here to fund our bloated academic sector and prop up housing.
The nominal education is just a fig leaf for a head tax/work permit for sale scheme. As evidenced by all the post secondary education located in dead big box stores or empty storefronts in small towns, with most students "attending" online education.

Trudeau needs to quit and announce a leadership campaign now. That’s what saved the OLP from destruction after McGuinty…. And conversely delaying the same was what destroyed the OLP after Wynne. Same goes for the PCs after Mulroney, waiting too long and then choosing Campbell for a glass cliff.

A lot of Liberal partisan don't even want to acknowledge that there is a problem. Just see @picard102 's posts in this thread. If there is no problem at all, why should Trudeau leave?

That said, I don't think the problem is just Trudeau. I think the party itself is listless and lacking vision right now. They clearly have no idea how to build a productive and high value added economy. And are completely unwilling to let housing take a hit. So that leaves them stuck. All capital in Canada goes to resources or housing. The CPC won't be better. But at least the LPC will get a shot at an honest reboot while they are on the Opposition Benches. They really need to do some soul searching and ask themselves if sacrificing the country's future to protect the overleveraged landlord class was really worth undermining every other policy goal they had.

The trouble is, who would replace Trudeau? No Quebecers seem competent or notable enough, and I’m not sure the party can find success without one as leader. Certainly not since Pearson. Though I’d give Freeland or maybe Anand a fair shake.

Who wants to be the next Kim Campbell? It's a terrible position to be put in.

Also, Freeland and Anand are in two very different positions. Freeland is way too tied to Trudeau to ever be electable again. Anand has a decent reputation and decent French. I think she has a shot when they are really in the post-Trudeau reconstruction phase.

The media are really turning on the immigration issue, in particular, the Foreign Student and TFW streams.

Its extraordinary to watch, as most outlets were on the opposite side of this issue for many, many years.

Many of the stories I've posted have been from the Globe and Mail. Where for some year John Ibbitson, among others regularly led a charge for growing Canada's population.

But now, perhaps more notable..........The STAR is turning on the issue.

Get a load of this headline discussing TFW's in the agriculture sector, which is the one sector where this program has been a consistent force for decades.......

1699135159303.png

From the above:

1699135234079.png

1699135273031.png

When The Star is on blast against the gov't on this issue; you know they're being buried; to be clear, justly, but what a shift.

The media are really turning on the immigration issue… When The Star is on blast against the gov't on this issue; you know they're being buried; to be clear, justly, but what a shift.
When the Toronto Worker turns against the Trudeau Liberals you know you’re kippered. I’m reminded of LBJ…

"President Lyndon Johnson said after the Feb. 27 broadcast, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."

We’re all just waiting for Singh and his NDP to pull the trigger. And now might be their time, since votes will flood outward from the middle to both the CPC and NDP.

Last edited:
The media are really turning on the immigration issue, in particular, the Foreign Student and TFW streams.

Its extraordinary to watch, as most outlets were on the opposite side of this issue for many, many years.

Many of the stories I've posted have been from the Globe and Mail. Where for some year John Ibbitson, among others regularly led a charge for growing Canada's population.

But now, perhaps more notable..........The STAR is turning on the issue.

Get a load of this headline discussing TFW's in the agriculture sector, which is the one sector where this program has been a consistent force for decades.......

View attachment 517876

From the above:

View attachment 517877

View attachment 517878

When The Star is on blast against the gov't on this issue; you know they're being buried; to be clear, justly, but what a shift.

Though n this case the Star had been on the agriculture worker issue for years - it's nothing particularly new.

AoD

Isn't wage a provincial issue? The reason why there is a labour shortage in Canada in healthcare, is because Doug Ford capped wages at 1%.

Isn't wage a provincial issue? The reason why there is a labour shortage in Canada in healthcare, is because Doug Ford capped wages at 1%.

Minimum wage is predominantly a provincial issue (there is a Federal Minimum Wage, that applies to Federally regulated workers, which is about 6% of all workers in Canada)

But market wage is as least as much, if not more a function of supply of labour vs demand for labour.

Ergo, the choice to boost labour supply, which is entirely federal in as much as its immigration policy, is the driving factor.

There's a reason so many Mexican Americans are Trump supporters and vociferously opposed to illegal immigration.
To be fair, I expect that only a small % of non-US born Mexican Americans emigrated to the USA legally. The vast majority overstayed visas or otherwise entered or remained illegally. In their case they support Trump through what I would equate with Stockholm Syndrome, passing or selective memory, identifying with WASP America and denouncing Mexicans who just want to do what their own parents, grandparents or selves did.

As someone who does hiring, I definitely make the distinction between people who have relevant degrees from Canadian (or Western) institutions vs a degree from India with a 1 year business diploma in Canada. My struggle with the latter group is that some of them might be good candidates but it is very hard to determine if they are BS'ing you, especially if there is a bit of a language barrier.
Easy - don't hire them. Over the years, I've been involved in interviewing quite a few people whenever our department had a need to hire staff. There have been several examples of candidates just like the one you mentioned of someone with what appears to be a solid resume, but when they come in to interview, their English sucks. For myself and my colleagues, that was always an immediate disqualification, no matter what. Why would I endorse someone to directly work with me who I can't understand, thereby doubling or tripling my daily workload, with a huge slice of perpetual frustration on the side? That totally goes against my interests, and I'm not into abusing myself.

Easy - don't hire them….but when they come in to interview, their English sucks.
Whenever I call for whatever customer service over phone and the ”agent” speaks clear Canadian English I want to reach through the phone and hug them.

Easy - don't hire them. Over the years, I've been involved in interviewing quite a few people whenever our department had a need to hire staff. There have been several examples of candidates just like the one you mentioned of someone with what appears to be a solid resume, but when they come in to interview, their English sucks. For myself and my colleagues, that was always an immediate disqualification, no matter what. Why would I endorse someone to directly work with me who I can't understand, thereby doubling or tripling my daily workload, with a huge slice of perpetual frustration on the side? That totally goes against my interests, and I'm not into abusing myself.
Unfortunately, a huge percentage of the candidates I interview are ESL so it's always a degree of assessing how strong their language skills are. I have employed a few people who clearly had their resumes and email correspondence written by someone else (partner, etc.) during the interview process.

Back