News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That thinking is why we put Japanese Canadians and other ethnicities into internment camps.

By not disclosing details, I suppose the government's push, intentionally or otherwise, is for all Canadians to question the loyalties of any Canadians of Indian or Chinese origin.

It's a long leap to go from acknowledging the reality of one's adversaries' tactics to proposing and accepting wholesale internment as a valid solution. Not only was the latter unjustifiable - it was also counterproductive.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
It's a long leap to go from acknowledging the reality of one's adversaries' tactics to proposing and accepting wholesale internment as a valid solution. Not only was the latter unjustifiable - it was also counterproductive.
Heavens, I'm not proposing it. I'm making a connection to where the government of yesterday and today are both spreading wholesale suspicion upon entire groups of Canadians. This lack of info is entirely unnecessary.

A damning report showed interference of foreign governments with members of parliament. The federal government says they will not reveal the names of the MPs.

Government won't commit to releasing names of MPs who allegedly conspired with foreign actors​

If members were named, it would preclude any hope of a successful criminal prosecution and likely tie the government up in civil litigation into the next century. The Deputy PM says it is up to law enforcement (read: RCMP) to investigate. Less hope the government doesn't interfere with them sourcing evidence.

Only if you let go that the last 8 years is the only reason we're in the situation were in and not the previous decade of governments across the board.
I don't imagine the world was all sweetness and light before 1946. Those damned Victorians and Edwardians gave us WWII with their Treaty of Paris!

It only stands to reason that those who precede us define our history.

If members were named, it would preclude any hope of a successful criminal prosecution and likely tie the government up in civil litigation into the next century. The Deputy PM says it is up to law enforcement (read: RCMP) to investigate. Less hope the government doesn't interfere with them sourcing evidence.

I don't imagine the world was all sweetness and light before 1946. Those damned Victorians and Edwardians gave us WWII with their Treaty of Paris!

It only stands to reason that those who precede us define our history.

No, but a public evisceration, character assassination and inevitable spotlighting on these influence actions might be more productive and punitive than a never-ending court case to potentially nowhere.

AoD

Last edited:
Only if you let go that the last 8 years is the only reason we're in the situation were in and not the previous decade of governments across the board.
Of course Canada is not in the situation it's in only because of the last 8 years. Heck, even Justin's been in power six months past that. But it's not only because of the Boomers either. Many of Canada's inequalities and injustices we see today go back to its very 19th century foundations and before. It was the Lost Generation and their Victorian-era parents, that doubled down on the cultural genocide of our indigenous people that continues to today, for example. 59-year old Doug Ford (who I claim as a fellow Gen-X even though he's 40 days short of the 1965 cut-off) has been ripping apart our healthcare, education and rights, and deserves no free pass due to his age.

It will be tricky for those F#CK Trudeau and Okay Boomer types to reconcile their angry retorts when the Conservative Party of Canada's 46 year old Pierre Poilievre becomes PM in 2025 and his cabinet of GenX and Millennials begins to tear the country asunder.

Whenever you activate your kneejerk Boomer dismissal you give a free pass to those generations who before and after them have also had significant impact on Canadians quality of life.

Last edited:
Heavens, I'm not proposing it. I'm making a connection to where the government of yesterday and today are both spreading wholesale suspicion upon entire groups of Canadians. This lack of info is entirely unnecessary.
I am quite sure that if 'the government' started putting out lists of MPs who were SUSPECTED of working with foreign governments there would (and should) be a huge uproar. They can really only name names if there are charges or proof. As G&M headline sas:
1717617685617.png

I am quite sure that if 'the government' started putting out lists of MPs who were SUSPECTED of working with foreign governments there would (and should) be a huge uproar. They can really only name names if there are charges or proof.
Then the smarter thing would be not to name the suspect countries of origin then. If I was an honest MP of Chinese or Indian descent I'd be demanding I be immediately, formally and publicly exonerated.

Then the smarter thing would be not to name the suspect countries of origin then. If I was an honest MP of Chinese or Indian descent I'd be demanding I be immediately, formally and publicly exonerated.
I think it is common knowledge that China and India have tried to use their nationals as 'supporters' in many countries so even if the parliamentary Report had not said which countries I doubt anyone would NOT have thought of India or China as BY FAR the most likely and would have thought it must be the Swiss, the Irish or the Peruvians.

Maybe not the Swiss, but other countries like Iran and Russia also do this. But the "supporters" are not necessarily the people holding MP offices. They could be party officials, members, staff, etc.

Reactions: DSC

We can acknowledge the mistakes of past governments and still judge the past 8 years of this government.

Boomers? I think we need to start blaming ourselves rather than our grandparents and parents.

The PM and most of the MPs and MPPs across Canada are Gen-X (born 1965-1980) or Millennials (born 1981-1996). For example, the average age of all the MPs in Ottawa is 54. Those in government these past years and today making decisions on Canada's immigration, housing, taxation, infrastructure, rights and freedoms, foreign policy and environmental issues are for the most part Gen-X, not Boomers. Danielle Smith, Premier of Alberta and a thorn in the side of many progressives is 53 years old. Outside of government, who's screwing over Canadians on food prices? 51 year old, Gen-X Galen Weston and his crowd, not Boomers.

You're going to have let your obsession with the Boomers go. By the end of the 2030s most of them will be gone, and even the most ardent boomer blamers will need to look into the mirror and recognize that the middle aged person looking back at them is now responsible for both their own success and the country's.

Pass. And I say this as a tail end Gen X'er. Who cares if it's mostly X'ers making the decisions? That fundamentally misses the point that policy is heavily skewed towards the benefit of Boomers.

That's because there's no witty phrase, and as we age we all become more conservative and less connected with the wants and wishes of the next generation.

You know this has proven to be false right? The Greatest Generation utterly sank this theory by consistently pushing for social programs. Meanwhile, it was actually Boomers and X'ers that mostly voted in conservative icons like Reagan and Thatcher. Indeed, we're seeing a repeat of this now. Millennials are not becoming more conservative with age. But Zoomers and Alphas do seem to actually be more conservative than Millennials (at least on social politics).

The defining characteristic seems to be what happened during their late teens and and twenties. Greatest Generation put up with the Great Depression and WWII. That formed their economically liberal views. It's the same for Millennials who have come of age during the greatest recession since the Great Depression and never-ending wars (mostly fought by Millennials). Gen X and Zoomers seem like contrarian reactionaries to the generations that preceded them.

No, but the modus operandi of both countries is to work through the diaspora.

AoD

Just a reminder the last high ranking official we caught spying, wasn't a member of the diaspora.

I don't actually think it's necessarily diasporic MPs. I think there's possibilities of others looking for a pay off. It's a bit easier to target members of the diaspora. The MICE model would predict vulnerability. But there's more than a few MPs with bad vices.

Just a reminder the last high ranking official we caught spying, wasn't a member of the diaspora.

I don't actually think it's necessarily diasporic MPs. I think there's possibilities of others looking for a pay off. It's a bit easier to target members of the diaspora. The MICE model would predict vulnerability. But there's more than a few MPs with bad vices.

No, it doesn't have to be a diasporic MP - but in a democracy you don't have to - the pathway can simply flow through the diaspora to the elected representative through influence peddling - and we know that there are state-infrastructure devoted to that sort of grooming.

AoD

Last edited:

Back