News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I know NDP voters who are voting Conservative, simply because they hate Justin Trudeau and want him gone. They know their guy won't win, however don't want Jusitn Trudeau to win, and they are willing to roll the dice by voting for Pierre Poilievre.

Think deeper. What are their reasons for hating Justin Trudeau?

Why are the Liberal and NDP numbers sinking, while the Conservatives are surging? In a Liberal riding.

Because voters are fed up with a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP. Changing leaders won't make much of a difference. It's the policies that are the problem.

I'll go back to my original question. You are saying you know people whose preferences have changed from NDP to CPC because of Trudeau. You never asked them what specifically about Trudeau they disliked and whether a change of LPC or NDP leader would bring them back? Seems strange to stop the conversation there.

One posbsac
Because voters are fed up with a minority Liberal government propped up by the NDP. Changing leaders won't make much of a difference. It's the policies that are the problem.

I'll go back to my original question. You are saying you know people whose preferences have changed from NDP to CPC because of Trudeau. You never asked them what specifically about Trudeau they disliked and whether a change of LPC or NDP leader would bring them back? Seems strange to stop the conversation there.
The carbon tax is the problem. Both Trudeau and the Carbon Tax need to go. The problem is that Trudeau's ego won't allow him to consider alternatives to the carbon tax, even though it is costing them big time in the polls.
Also, people are sick of Justin Trudeau's leadership. A simple question? "Are their Liberals MPs named in the NSICOP report"? Trudeau-doesn't answer the question.
People are sick and tired by his bullshit.

The carbon tax isn't really the whole problem. If you eliminated the carbon tax tomorrow, it would do near enough to nothing for affordability as to be irrelevant.

Incumbents are getting ousted across the developed world.

The carbon tax isn't really the whole problem. If you eliminated the carbon tax tomorrow, it would do near enough to nothing for affordability as to be irrelevant.

Incumbents are getting ousted across the developed world.
Canadians hate the carbon tax. 80% of Canadian want it gone, and it is killing them in the polls. What is worst is that it goes up every year. It is stupid politics.
I agree with you on affordability, but the carbon tax is horrible optics.

One posbsac

The carbon tax is the problem. Both Trudeau and the Carbon Tax need to go. The problem is that Trudeau's ego won't allow him to consider alternatives to the carbon tax, even though it is costing them big time in the polls.
Also, people are sick of Justin Trudeau's leadership. A simple question? "Are their Liberals MPs named in the NSICOP report"? Trudeau-doesn't answer the question.
People are sick and tired by his bullshit.

Again, you seem to assume that all policy comes from Trudeau and that it would completely change if he left. For example, I don't think you understand how deep support for carbon pricing run in the LPC.

The argument on carbon pricing has been lost. In no small part due to LPC incompetence. All the things they are doing now, like sending rebates quarterly and forcing banks to properly rebate it should have been done earlier. Heck, they should have had monthly rebates after $50/t. And they most definitely shouldn't have given an exemption to some fuels and then openly admitted it was about electioneering.

More broadly it's hard to make climate policy a real focus and not have it get blamed when they pursued several other inflationary policies at the same time.

Lastly, in hindsight, perhaps the only way to actual implement a carbon price system that won't be repealed is to do what Stephane Dion proposed with the Green Shift and replaces other taxes with a carbon tax. His mistake was pledging to reduce income tax and increase family benefits.

I would argue they should replace one consumption tax (GST/HST) with another (carbon tax). Once that is done any government that wants to scrap it will have to reimpose GST/HST something that will be highly unpopular. Something the Liberals suck at is making the Machiavellian moves that preserve their policy long term. Not much of what the Trudeau Liberals have done will survive.

Again, you seem to assume that all policy comes from Trudeau and that it would completely change if he left. For example, I don't think you understand how deep support for carbon pricing run in the LPC.

The argument on carbon pricing has been lost. In no small part due to LPC incompetence. All the things they are doing now, like sending rebates quarterly and forcing banks to properly rebate it should have been done earlier. Heck, they should have had monthly rebates after $50/t. And they most definitely shouldn't have given an exemption to some fuels and then openly admitted it was about electioneering.

More broadly it's hard to make climate policy a real focus and not have it get blamed when they pursued several other inflationary policies at the same time.

Lastly, in hindsight, perhaps the only way to actual implement a carbon price system that won't be repealed is to do what Stephane Dion proposed with the Green Shift and replaces other taxes with a carbon tax. His mistake was pledging to reduce income tax and increase family benefits.

I would argue they should replace one consumption tax (GST/HST) with another (carbon tax). Once that is done any government that wants to scrap it will have to reimpose GST/HST something that will be highly unpopular. Something the Liberals suck at is making the Machiavellian moves that preserve their policy long term. Not much of what the Trudeau Liberals have done will survive.
It's not helping them in the polls.

Seems like a miscalculation to me. Even if he succeeds in pushing Trudeau out, the Liberals are cooked in the next election. I don't see why he would want to become leader just to go down with the ship, unless he wants to be in the books as a PM for a few months along with the likes of Campbell.

I disagree. If Mark Carney comes in with new policies, he could do well in the new election, or at least hold the Conservatives to a minority government.

If Justin Trudeau's polls numbers don't improve over the next few months, I wonder if the calls to replace him with get louder. Right now he is a dead man walking.

I disagree. If Mark Carney comes in with new policies, he could do well in the new election, or at least hold the Conservatives to a minority government.

Go ask your friends if they'd vote red for Mark Carney. That little poll should tell you the chances of holding the CPC to a minority.

Back