News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Hmmmm. 🧐

I see potentially useful, if belated movement:

From The Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...cle_0b973e50-9521-11ee-b0ba-5b0c543a06c1.html

1701978836676.png

In respect of limiting the number of study permits, Miller has this to say:

1701978885166.png

Fun Fact: In the same announcement Miller actually extended the permission to work unlimited hours, while studying full time, til April 30 (it was going to expire Dec 31st)

The limits on permits will be the key number, along with what form they take (for instance will they vary by degree/diploma type, and program of study............which they should)

Hmmmm. 🧐

I see potentially useful, if belated movement:

From The Star: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...cle_0b973e50-9521-11ee-b0ba-5b0c543a06c1.html

View attachment 525432

In respect of limiting the number of study permits, Miller has this to say:

View attachment 525433

Fun Fact: In the same announcement Miller actually extended the permission to work unlimited hours, while studying full time, til April 30 (it was going to expire Dec 31st)

The limits on permits will be the key number, along with what form they take (for instance will they vary by degree/diploma type, and program of study............which they should)
Trudeau's trying to tamp down the obvious CPC talking points. The colleges will soon be crying poor to their respective premiers. And what about my food wala? Who's bringing my lunch and Amazon packages?

Last edited:
The U.S. broke up Standard Oil (what we think of as Esso here. A portion of that survived as Exxon in the U.S. But the U.S. broke it up into 43 discrete companies. (many have since re-merged)

They also broke up AT&T, much of that along regional lines.
But Standard Oil and AT&T were far more dominant from an antitrust perspective.

There should be more rhyme or reason to forcing divestment. Is the logic that grocery store chains shouldn't also own pharmacies? Great, then close them in Costco, Walmart, Loblaws, Sobeys, etc. Or force all standalone pharmacy chains to be divested, such as Lawtons Drugs, Jean Coutu, SDM. as well as Rexall to be divested by McKesson (who is the dominant prescription drug distributor in Canada). If not going to that extreme, I can see market-by-market caps on share. If a company's family of stores exceeds a certain share in a given market/trading area, they should be forced to divest locations or pay some penalty. Similar logic can be extended to other chains, like Starbucks, etc. Of course, rules like these may lead to unintended consequences in rural markets where they may be underserved due to marketshare caps.

The alternative to the big grocery retailers is grocery wholesalers like C&S in the US. Small chains won't be competitive from a scale and efficiency standpoint (particularly as the industry moves towards billon dollar highly mechanized warehouses), and will be at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating with large multinational food processors and CPG companies. I suppose we should be working on breaking up Procter and Gamble, Kraft Heinz, Pepsi Frito Lay, Cargill, etc. etc.

Trudeau's trying to tamp down the obvious CPC talking points. The colleges will soon be crying poor to their respective premiers. And what about my food wala? Who's bringing my lunch and Amazon packages?
We'll see some post secondary institutions collapse because of this.

The small, for-profit ones, I have no issue with, let them go.

For otherwise decent colleges and unis, Ontario may just have to step and fund them at the same level as every other province; that would solve the problem.

Either way, it may also result in some conversation (Which I think it should) about whether Nippising and Laurentian and Algoma should all exist separately, or instead consolidate as the University of Northern Ontario (or otherwise under 1 banner)

Separate campuses may be able to maintained, but one administration/payroll dept etc.; and one set of faculty deans would make them much more cost-efficient.

Some other re-arranging may also make sense.

Last edited:
The small, for-profit ones, I have no issue with, let them go.

For otherwise decent colleges and unis, Ontario may just have to step and fund them at the same level as every other province; that would solve the problem.

Either way, it may also result in some conservation (Which I think it should) about whether Nippising and Laurentian and Algoma should all exist separately, or instead consolidate as the University of Northern Ontario (or otherwise under 1 banner)

Separate campuses may be able to maintained, but one administration/payroll dept etc.; and one set of faculty deans would make them much more cost-efficient.

Some other re-arranging may also make sense.
I think the English Unis in Quebec may see this as a double whammy. First the province essentially kicks out Canadian Anglos, and now Ottawa does foreign ones too.

I'm pretty okay with this. Current students will be able to finish out the academic year without major disruption, and the glut of domestic students entering the summer job market should cushion the blow for employers to a certain degree.

Employers should have been planning for the December 31 expiration. However, from what I'm hearing through the grapevine, many employers are finding the staffing challenges this will create greater than expected. This extra breathing room should help, at least for those organizations forward-thinking enough to tackle the issue.

The public colleges and universites are a massive part of the problem. Virtually every single college in Ontario has contracted some strip mall school in the GTA to provide a program they can sell to foreign students. They do this just to raise revenue. They don't worry about having space on campus to teach them or having housing. Universities and colleges are all creating one year programs targeting foreign students. And these are usually designed to push students through rather than really provide a high standard of education and skills relevant to the Canadian market. Ontario is among the worst. But the problem is definitely national. Just look at the more well known cases of how ridiculous this abuse gets, like Cape Breton University.

Yes, we should close down those for profit colleges. But exempting the public colleges and universities will not solve the problem at all. They'll more than make up for any reduction in the private education sector.

If they can't survive without offering sham programs for backdoor PRs, I am not sure those institutions were ever viable to begin with.

I'm pretty okay with this. Current students will be able to finish out the academic year without major disruption, and the glut of domestic students entering the summer job market should cushion the blow for employers to a certain degree.

Employers should have been planning for the December 31 expiration. However, from what I'm hearing through the grapevine, many employers are finding the staffing challenges this will create greater than expected. This extra breathing room should help, at least for those organizations forward-thinking enough to tackle the issue.
Pretty hard to have sympathy for businesses who have designed their business model around cheap labour from foreign students. And it becomes exploitive broadly when we (as a country and society) design a system that requires them to pay up $30k in fees just to have access to a $15/hr job. If we need cheaper labour, the government should just be honest about it and bring in TFWs. But then the wage suppression game would become more obvious.

If they can't survive without offering sham programs for backdoor PRs, I am not sure those institutions were ever viable to begin with.
I'm not saying I think this is a bad thing. But withdrawing this source of funding is going to cause a lot of budgetary holes for post secondary institutions which have inflated into a bit of a bubble. There will need to be a shakeout of the education sector. Lots of administrators (good riddance) and instructors will be canned. This was basically a kind of export industry. Really a shameful state of affairs we have allowed to develop. And after inflating this bubble, the provincial government is going to be left holding the bag trying to keep the salvageable part of the sector afloat.

Many immigrants I know either regret or are ambivalent about coming here; this is especially the case for homeowners and those with good jobs in the professions back home. They sell everything to raise enough money to come here, but have to start from scratch with respect to jobs and property.

This is often the case for people from the second world like the Eastern bloc. Sure, people from much poorer countries might be better off here, but we're not the world's charity.

Moreover, as NL stated, they're seen as cheap labour. I would also add as a cash cow to create more demand for goods and services, including housing. There's no incentive to recognize their credentials and experience. So they end up languishing in menial jobs, becoming resentful and creating a lose-lose situation for both the immigrants and Canada.

That's almost exactly the year Trudeau began the surge.

Moving my reply to the politics thread.

The paternalism is making the decision on behalf of immigrants that they are better off not coming here, rather than letting them exercise some agency in the matter. Those migrants who regret coming here can generally return home.

The paternalism is making the decision on behalf of immigrants that they are better off not coming here, rather than letting them exercise some agency in the matter. Those migrants who regret coming here can generally return home.
Well yes, but they’ve been actively mislead by DFAIT’s quota chasers on the Canadian dream.

At great expense, to them, their family, and our society.

I'm not sure why we should facilitate that.

You have yet to articulate a case why slave labour is good, and phony educations at exorbitant prices are wonderful for anyone.

You've merely lobbed on to the idea that not facilitating same is somehow paternalistic.

Back