News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From link:

Ontario brewers that offer buck-a-beer may get LCBO incentives: source

Breweries that offer buck-a-beer this summer could get lucrative incentives including prime shelf space and free advertising with the LCBO, CTV News Toronto has learned.

Sources with direct knowledge of the plan say that other enticements may include limited product discounts and in-flyer LCBO promotions for companies that lower beer prices to $1 in time for Labour Day.

The province is set to announce Tuesday that it will lower the minimum price of beer from $1.25 to $1, fulfilling a campaign promise made by Premier Doug Ford.

When asked whether participating brewers would be subsidized to make up the difference in price, CTV News Toronto was told there would be "zero" financial incentives.

At least one beer-maker, operating out of Prince Edward County, has promised to sell a specialty brew for a loonie. Barley Days Brew, which is set to host Ford for the buck-a-beer announcement, says it's discount lager is "not going to compromise" on quality.

However, a popular Etobicoke-based craft brewer took a public stand against the initiative, saying they wouldn’t want to dilute their brand.

"We don't want to devalue our brand.' said Troy Burtch of Great Lakes Brewery. "To make a quick buck, it doesn't make sense."

Burtch said with the newly announced 10 per cent aluminum tariffs from the United States, canning beer has become even more expensive and the margins are smaller than they once were.

Beer bloggers are also questioning the quality of any brew priced at a dollar.

Ben Johnson, who operates London-based beer review website Ben's Beer Blog, believes that only large multi-national companies will be able to sell cheap beer because of the volume they produce. He also believes those companies may turn to extracts instead of quality ingredients to get the best bang for their buck.

"Essentially, if anyone does it, I predict that dollar beer is going to taste like it's worth about a dollar," Johnson said.

Buck-a-beer will still be subject to a 5-cent deposit and tax.

"Buck-a-beer will still be subject to a 5-cent deposit and tax." Will they be reducing the deposit down from 10¢? Or is it a typo?

This is so bullshit. Buck-a-beer.

People can't find places to friggin live and these dicks are preoccupied with selling shitty beer for a dollar a small can. Piss off.

And now they're going to give a form of corporate welfare to these loser brewers who produce this rubbish?
This is enough to make me go on a Pilsner Urquell bender, honestly.

These corporate welfare shills are a joke. "Good for business", my eye. I don't think they know how capitalism works, the swine.

From what I can see here from the burbs, people are concerned about some of Fords action however his style seems to have a lot of fans as well.

What style is that?

Being shit at maths?
Lying?
Being greasy af?
Liking shitty beer?

Those are all a poor look, if you ask me.

I find it remarkable the new government is so against a health curriculum that teaches about consent and responsibility while putting so much effort into ensuring people have access to $1 beers.

Bizarre priorities.

You're surprised?
The whole gang are some sort of psychologically dented hypocrites who can't count.

Shut down safe injection sites but provide corporate welfare to producers of ethanol which is a highly addictive, toxic, and potentially lethal drug.
If you're feeling like their priorities don't make sense, it's ok, it's not you, it's them. Trust me.

You know what I think of when someone talks about paying a buck a beer? Homeless people and bum wine, or those drunks paying for single cans of Laker Ice.

Ehh, Laker Ice isn't fully bum beer. I buy it sometimes. Well, it's thrown in the wide array of tall cans that I buy on summer wknds - the majority of which seem to be German, Czech, or Polish. But imo Laker Ice can be as good as some of them, and the price is right. Brewed in Waterloo at a medium-sized facility.

On the buck-a-beer sham front, which I haven't been following, wonder if it would be wiser for Dugly to have the gov't craft its own beer. One which it could sell for a buck. No weird enticements. Just get the gov't to brew it. Or maybe work with No Frills or something for a No Name beer. Imagine that, Prov of Ontario official beer. Would certainly help the coffers.

From the official announcement today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-announces-buck-a-beer-1.4775959

"Increased consumption can in turn lead to increased alcohol-related problems, including impaired driving," said MADD Canada.

Ford, when asked about this research during the news conference, said his number 1 concern when drafting this legislation was responsibility.

"I think people in Ontario are mature enough, they're mature enough to know when they've had one too many," he said.

Ford's lack of self-(or in this case familial-)awareness is astounding. His brother had several impairment related charges and incidents.

I like the TV interview of a craft brewery rep - (paraphrased): 'the beer you're going to be able to buy for a dollar is going to taste like dollar beer'. I'll hold out for dollar wine; Four Aces or Old Sailor, bringing back bad youth memories.

It's one thing to expand access - it's another to subsidize companies to provide cheaper alcohol.

If someone suggested the government provide subsidies for $1 bread I'm sure plenty on the right would accuse them of being a left wing commie.

I like the TV interview of a craft brewery rep - (paraphrased): 'the beer you're going to be able to buy for a dollar is going to taste like dollar beer'. I'll hold out for dollar wine; Four Aces or Old Sailor, bringing back bad youth memories.

What's the word? Thunderbird!

Well yes "from the subs" things look hunky dorey, your local council is safe and will remain so as long as you don't organize resistance to Herr Ford's policies. Toronto knew better and didn't vote him and his circus in. Just you wait until the "buck a beer" slogan runs dry and Doug's folks join AA, or perhaps when Doug starts meddling in your council affairs or finding efficiencies in the OHIP budget. Maybe then you can tell us whom you support.

You guys seem to forget Toronto goes past Bloor Street? He won 11 seats in Toronto, the same as the NDP, so really I find it rather disingenuous saying Toronto did not vote him in, they played a role. You guys make it seem the NDP won Toronto in a landslide.

I think you meant OLD Toronto knew better.

Last edited:

Back