News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hahaha. So the Ontario government is going to be making the decisions for every municipal budget in the province?

Doug Ford tells @MercedesGlobal #Toronto is only the start: “We’re going to hold governments accountable in over 460 towns in this province to make sure they maximize their budgets in the best way they can to respect the taxpayers.”

Maybe something has changed, but last I checked, per Wikipedia, there are 444 municipal governments in Ontario..................He'd going to hold 15 more place to account than there are places? Hmmmmm

Another 15-20% in Toronto? Good luck with that!

I don't know, I think there's still a significant proportion of people who simply don't listen to the news, or have little stake in city politics, and who can be persuaded that what the PCs are doing is 'improving government'.

Remember that this is a city that elected Rob Ford, and that a significant majority continues to support Tory's conservative-lite agenda. Don't let the chattering classes on Twitter persuade you into thinking that Ford is already done for.

I don't know, I think there's still a significant proportion of people who simply don't listen to the news, or have little stake in city politics, and who can be persuaded that what the PCs are doing is 'improving government'.

Remember that this is a city that elected Rob Ford, and that a significant majority continues to support Tory's conservative-lite agenda. Don't let the chattering classes on Twitter persuade you into thinking that Ford is already done for.

Ford got 1/3 of the vote municipally and the PCs got 1/3 of the vote in Toronto. I don't think he's done a thing to expand his support, and he seems to be doing everything not to expand his support base.

I'm not sure if the OLP has a "Justin" waiting in the wings. Bob Rae also played an important stewardship role as interim leader of the federal party.

But with Ford being so polarizing, it's hard to see the Liberals evaporate completely. There needs to be a safety valve for the "too educated to vote Ford, too bourgeois to vote NDP" demographic.

Though enough Liberal recovery could be good enough for a coalition--even if that stop-the-Cons gambit has never quite made the mark...

Let's hope that in the former's case, she does and loses.

Never forget, she holds responsibility for the Scarborough Subway and consequently a lot of the popularity of Ford Nation to begin with.

However, if one presumes she'd be running to replace John McKay (who's 70), I can't see much chance of her losing unless the Justin Liberals bomb like the Wynne Liberals...

I think it must be beginning to dawn on the OPC caucus and ministers that they now own, and are responsible for the success and failure of the Scarborough subway, Toronto's “failing infrastructure, housing crisis, and public transit crisis”, since the premier last night said his government is going to fix all these issues, and more.

So, when Tory, post election then turns to the province for transit funding, housing support, etc. DoFo can hardly refuse without looking more stupid. This must be coming to the realization of the caucus, that they will now be held accountable for a burst water main, a delayed subway, etc, etc. in Toronto. That’s not what those MPPs outside the 416 signed up for, nor their constituents.

The amount of political capital the Cons are blowing on this one issue is incredible.

I predict DoFo’s future move is when newphew Mickey runs for mayor. If his wins, DoFo changes the mayoral system to a strong mayor system. He can’t do it while Tory is mayor.

But only in Toronto, because that's what he's obsessed with. I don't think he knows or cares what happens in Brantford or Belleville.

I predict DoFo’s future move occurs when nephew Mickey runs for mayor. If Mikey wins, DoFo changes Toronto city hall to a strong mayor system. He can’t do it while Tory is mayor.

The time lines don't really line up though, unless Ford wins a second majority in 4 years.

So, when Tory, post election then turns to the province for transit funding, housing support, etc. DoFo can hardly refuse without looking more stupid. This must be coming to the realization of the caucus, that they will now be held accountable for a burst water main, a delayed subway, etc, etc. in Toronto. That’s not what those MPPs outside the 416 signed up for, nor their constituents.

The amount of political capital the Cons are blowing on this one issue is incredible.

You are presuming that the electorate will have perfect memory - if they even know about this instance of overrreach. He already looked stupid - but that didn't prevent him from getting elected.

AoD

Back