News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Last edited:
Fedeli promises budget will include a massive expansion of beer and wine in Ontario
Fedeli did not mention that under the 10-year master framework agreement signed with the Beer Store — the 450-outlet retailer mostly owned by the parent companies of Labatt, Molson, and Sleeman — the province could be on the hook for tens of millions of dollars of penalties.
That carefully worded accord — hammered out by former TD Bank chair Ed Clark, who was former Liberal premier Kathleen Wynne’s privatization guru — is in place until 2025 and Queen’s Park would owe the Beer Store damages if it is broken.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...ve-expansion-of-beer-and-wine-in-ontario.html

But we can’t afford to support families with autistic children. Priorities. :rolleyes:

I'm in complete agreement with the above.

BUT

I would say, I fail to understand why the previous government offered any incentives or guarantees to 'The Beer Store' to permit the loosening of a monopoly to which it has no right; and which would be illegal under competition laws
but for the enabling legislation passed to allow it.

I don't believe it was ever necessary to enter into the contract in question.

The only 'penalties' that I think might 'reasonably' be on the table would be to grocers who bid for the licenses to sell based on an understanding of how many would be in the market.

In such case, a partial refund would be in order.

That all said, I will come back to @PinkLucy 's original statement, with which I agree. I think the opportunity to broaden choice is there by simply releasing all the outstanding licenses already agreed to, (another 200-300)
all at once, not charging for them either.

In addition, it is the gov't prerogative to loosen other restrictions on licensees such as selling only Ontario product or only wine priced at or above $10.95 a bottle. These changes can be made penalty-free.

I also expect that the Beer Store, in a hurry to redevelop many of its downtown properties, and unlikely to invest in a lot of replacement locations when their monopoly would end in 10 years anyway, might be open to cracking the downtown Toronto market a bit wider, a bit sooner, without penalty. Though that is only speculation on my part.

ie. no need to incur penalties in the process of giving more choice to consumers.

Star has now changed the headline:
...a massive expansion of beer and wine in Ontario
to say:
Fedeli promises an expansion of the sale of beer and wine in Ontario

"the sale of". Damn...forget blessing the fishes...

I am in favour of broadened sales venues. I travel quite a bit and very much enjoy being able to pick up a bottle of wine or a couple of beers wherever I happen to be shopping. But given a choice between continued or enhanced funding for something like autism support (and many other services I could name, including health) and losing money through expanded sales, I pick the services over the convenient booze every time.

With The Beer Store owned:

Molson Coors Brewing Company - 50.9%
Labatt Brewing Company (AB InBev) - 44.9%
Sleeman Breweries (Sapporo) - 4.2%

Maybe the non-Beer Store owners should be given the right to sell directly to the chain stores, big box stores, and convenience stores.

Interesting, however maybe it's just the craft breweries that will be able to stock their usually premium priced beer at the corner store? Or maybe The Beer Store stakeholders have an agreement with these small breweries for their products to be sold only at their outlets and large grocery chains. Interesting to see how they will go about implementing this newly hatched plan. From the likes of it so far The Ford Circus is not so good at planning and thinking and their Seals have no input, as many are by the book Christians and the CONsumption of alcohol is frowned upon (medicinal purpose only).

Theo Moudakis: Ford's subways
theo_moudakis_ford_s_subways.jpg

From link.

Back