News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

"Best" is not an objective measurement. It is a subjective opinion, of which you are trying to use a single, biased statistic to support the whole while claiming you're being objective. It boggles my mind that you can't seem to recognize the flaw here.
I said "arguably the best", and based on the facts and arguments I put forward, I believe it has been adequately proven.

Here's another data set if you like (although this one does not take into account the economic times, so it is similar to yours in terms of relevance).
The other thing that is not captured is the fact that the Federal government was greatly cutting transfer payments during and after the recession in the mid 1990's, while they were maintained and increase during the 2008/09 recession and thereafter.

1. Consider economic conditions at the time. My data compares Ontario to its neighbours within the same economic times. Your data compares leaders data from one era to another. Considering that global economic conditions must be considered, your data makes no such provisions.
  2. Measure truly looks at Ontario influenced data. Similar to above, my data compares Ontario to neighbours, yours does not. Do other provinces graphs look identical? Is this related to federal policy and all provinces follow the same trend.? My data appear far superior by this measure.

Okay, master of statistics and economics…

Even just touching on these two and your "job creation numbers are the 'best' metric", you completely ignore the nuances involved. Comparing province to province doesn't really work either when dealing with recessionary periods. Natural Resource economies are far more stable during recessions, and Ontario has the second-lowest resources-as-a-%-of-GDP of all the provinces. It's intentionally disingenuous to say a political party is the cause of poor job numbers during a global recession, when due to the very nature of our economy, ANY political party in power in Ontario would see similar numbers compared against pretty much every other province. Few companies grow jobs during a recession, period, and because we are so reliant on income outside of natural resources, we will more strongly feel its effects.

The problem is you are *actively* ignoring those data.

The well being of the middle class is a far better indicator of the overall economic impact on the people of a province than how many jobs were created. Which is why I used the graph I did. It uses long-term numbers, and even factoring out governmental overlap, the decline of upward mobility very obviously overlaps with the PCO in power. What's worse is it takes a lot of active destruction to make that happen during a non-recessionary economy. Using "job numbers" as the only indicator of economic stability or growth, each Ontarian having two part time minimum wage jobs and looking for a third would seemingly make us the best economy on the planet.

I said "arguably the best", and based on the facts and arguments I put forward, I believe it has been adequately proven.

Here's another data set if you like (although this one does not take into account the economic times, so it is similar to yours in terms of relevance).
The other thing that is not captured is the fact that the Federal government was greatly cutting transfer payments during and after the recession in the mid 1990's, while they were maintained and increase during the 2008/09 recession and thereafter.
View attachment 198343
Repeat after me, governmental debt is NOT THE SAME AS HOUSEHOLD DEBT.

When Doug Ford talks, use air quotes.

Doug Ford Is Once Again Asking Ontarians To Call Him For Legal Aid Help
But the premier has not responded to dozens of requests for help.

From link.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford doubled down on his promise to help anyone who calls his office get legal aid Friday, even though he’s already ignored dozens of requests for assistance.

“We’re going to try to help everyone on legal aid,” Ford told HuffPost Canada after a transit announcement in Kitchener, Ont. “I try to help everyone and I’ll continue to help anyone who calls. I do my best.”

But Michael Spratt, a criminal defence lawyer in Ottawa, says he’s contacted Ford’s office more than 40 times on behalf of his clients who have been denied legal aid and hasn’t gotten any help.

Spratt says the only response he’s received came from the Ministry of the Attorney General. The “patronizing” email said that Legal Aid Ontario, the agency that provides legal aid services with funding from the province, operates independently from the government.

“The premier guaranteed that anyone who needed legal aid would get it. That was a disingenuous lie,” Spratt told HuffPost Friday.

Ford promised in April that anyone who needs legal aid could get help through his office. His government had just announced it would slash funding for the program by about 40 per cent — or $164 million — by 2022.

Legal aid provides legal advice and representation to people who can’t afford lawyers. It helps low-income people fight illegal firings and evictions, and people charged with crimes they can’t afford to fight in court. Legal Aid Ontario also used to help refugee claimants make their case for residency in Canada, a program Ford’s government has eliminated entirely.

“If anyone needs support on legal aid, feel free to call my office. I will guarantee you that you will have legal aid,” the premier said on April 22.

Since then, the premier has done “nothing” to follow up on that guarantee, Spratt said.

He worked for free to help one of his clients he had written to Ford about, a man who lives on Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) income. He was charged with impaired driving and failing to provide a breathalyzer sample, even though he only has one lung and can’t physically blow enough air to provide a sample.

The charges were withdrawn.

That “never would have happened” if a lawyer wasn’t present, Spratt said.

He added that he and other lawyers will keep doing as much pro bono work as possible, but they simply won’t have the time to do all the work that’s being impacted by the Legal Aid Ontario cuts.

“Criminal defence lawyers and frontline workers aren’t going to stop helping people in need,” he said. “Unlike the premier and this Conservative government, we are incapable of turning our backs on people who need help.”

It's more proof (if any was needed) that he's, at heart, strictly a small-time shit-artist. He doesn't understand that these gimmicks that kinda-sorta worked when he and his idiot brother were city councilors (to the extent that they did work, natch) can't succeed when he's operating at his current level of power. It looks tacky as hell, and of course, when it doesn't work as advertised, the optics are just terrible. He comes off as a childish amateur.

It's more proof (if any was needed) that he's, at heart, strictly a small-time shit-artist. He doesn't understand that these gimmicks that kinda-sorta worked when he and his idiot brother were city councilors (to the extent that they did work, natch) can't succeed when he's operating at his current level of power. It looks tacky as hell, and of course, when it doesn't work as advertised, the optics are just terrible. He comes off as a childish amateur.

Rob Rod returned calls... at 2 o'clock in the morning. People may set their smartphone for a "do not disturb" when they sleep, so end up playing telephone tag. Better to use 3-1-1.

Back in 2018...

Ford Conservatives ready to hit the brakes on electric vehicle rebates

See link.

Ontario is getting ready to hit the brakes on rebates of up to $14,000 for motorists buying electric vehicles like the new Honda Clarity and Chrysler Pacifica hybrid.

The purchase incentives, which were established years ago by the recently defeated Liberal government to kick-start a shift to low-emission cars, have been funded in part by the cap-and-trade program the incoming Progressive Conservatives are scrapping...

This year...

Why electric vehicle owners are urging Ford government to fund charging stations

See link.

Electric vehicle (EV) drivers revving up for a road trip won't find any charging stations at OnRoute stops in Ontario this summer.

According to drivers and experts in the industry, it's partly because the Ford government has all but stalled on efforts to encourage people to adopt electric vehicles...

This week...

GM, VW forsake hybrids, go all-in on EVs
Other automakers believe hybrids still have room for growth.

See link.

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, both automakers voiced confidence that EVs represent the better long-term bet and will help keep up with fleet-averaged emissions regulations.

"Our strong preference is to go all-in where the market is heading, as opposed to hybrids as a way to hedge our bets," said VW chief Scott Keogh.

GM president Mark Reuss agreed, noting that it makes more sense to allocate development funds to "the answer that we all know is going to happen." The automaker hopes the decision will help it quickly establish a more competitive position as EVs take center stage.

Other automakers apparently disagree, viewing hybrids as a critical element in the transition from internal-combustion powertrains to all-electric vehicles. The hybrid-focused strategy is likely rooted in skepticism that mainstream buyers will readily embrace EVs out of the gate.

"We can't say to the customer 'You have to take an all-electric vehicle,'" opined Ford (not Doug) powertrain engineering VP Dave Filipe.

Ford (not Doug) is still quietly working to bring the F-150 hybrid to market, yet the company has already kicked off a teaser campaign for its all-electric pickup. The F-150 has long held the crown as the best-selling nameplate in the country. The company consequently faces a significant risk if it expects truck buyers to be anti-EV despite the performance and durability advantages offered by battery power.

Removing the EV rebates and charging stations shows how out-of-touch with the rest of the world Doug Ford is.

Taylor Swift paid off someone's college tuition. She was the victim of OCED cuts.

For now, I'll put this here.

Some sort of announcement coming tomorrow from the province re: transportation. Being held on the UPX platform.

Could be UPX or GO changes for fall......or something else..........

Media Advisory
Minister of Transportation to Make an Announcement

August 14, 2019 3:30 P.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, and Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation, will be joined by Phil Verster, CEO of Metrolinx, to make an announcement.

The PC's aren't so hot about Ontario News Now as they used to be.

And judging from the report, the people aren't biting that which is "for the people"

And of course, it has to be party brass to throw down the gauntlet; because DoFo's natural mode is to blame outside forces for his own failures. To actually *admit* failure is, in his eyes, a sign of weakness.

Has he ever admitted failure? *Ever*?

Back