News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It has been reported on Reddit too. Some people are getting invoices for more.

The consensus is that it violates laws pertaining to mail delivery and possibly involves Elections Ontario.

It is in violation of the Canada Post Corporation Act, Solicitations by Mail Regulations (C..R.C., c. 1295) Paragraph 2 which states:

Where a letter or other mailable matter that is not a bill, invoice or statement of account due is in such a form that it has the general appearance of a bill, invoice or statement of account due, it shall have endorsed on its face the following notice:

“This is a solicitation for the order of (goods, services or goods and services, as the case may be) and not a bill, invoice or statement of account due. You are under no obligation to make any payments on account of this offer unless you accept this offer.”

See here:
What's not clear to me yet from reading the reddit threads if this is actually coming from the ford government, or if another group is using the PC name to scam people. Its beyond scummy regardless of who's doing it and has to be illegal, but I dont think people should jump the gun just yet on who's responsible. Scams try to impersonate legitimate companies or groups all the time.

That still doesn’t say anything. They are investigating, as they should. I want to know if someone is actually sending them, and if so, who. There are many possibilities of what is happening.

From CP24

image.png

Kingston resident Greg Gies received one such letter, instructing him that he owed $800 to the party.
“Just above the address box window, in red letters, it says ‘Important Invoice Enclosed,’ right under the Ontario PC identification on the upper left-hand side,” Gies told CTV News Toronto on Wednesday.
The envelope included the fake invoice, alongside a letter written by Ontario Fund chair Tony Miele, stating that the PCs are readying their "war chest" to continue the good work and the good fight and claiming that's why invoices have been sent out.
I have a very elderly relative who would be exactly the type to believe she must pay that.

From CP24

image.png

I have a very elderly relative who would be exactly the type to believe she must pay that.

Scams of this kind tend to be aimed at older folks. Televangelists have been notorious for this type of sleaze over the years. And the elderly make up a not insignificant part of the Cons' base.

And never has the shortened nickname "the Cons" seemed more appropriate. They're certainly taking their sweet time in addressing this, aren't they? Which looks pretty bad all by itself, even if they're completely blameless...which I wouldn't bet on at this point.

Back