News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's one thing to expand access - it's another to subsidize companies to provide cheaper alcohol.

If someone suggested the government provide subsidies for $1 bread I'm sure plenty on the right would accuse them of being a left wing commie.

Yeah, alcohol. A highly addictive and toxic substance.

Meanwhile they'll throw bricks and ruin lives of people dealing with non-addictive and non-toxic psychedelics.

Fu**ing pigs.

'Come alive for a dollar five - do it again for two ten'

That and 25 cent draft at the Algonquin, Jolly Miller or the men's room at the Skyline Hotel.

Someone on our floor likes his cheap booze. I see it in the recycling bin a lot.

There are some food products where you should pay more for them to ensure the best quality. Alcohol is one of them.

Wonder when Dimebag Doug will do the dimebag challenge post-legalization. "Hey folks, just in time for the 4/20 weekend. 'Member when dimebags cost a dime? Neither do I, but whatever. The first cannabis producer to offer $0.10 weed will win a free evening with me. Intimidate party members in my escalade, tape-finding ridealongs with 23 Div down Windsor Dr. It'll be a blast."

Four Aces or Old Sailor, bringing back bad youth memories.

What's the word? Thunderbird!
We were never that desperate, we were more sophisticated: Paarl wine...
http://www.bumwine.com/

Wonder when Dimebag Doug will do the dimebag challenge post-legalization.
Sell it by the lid...

One which it could sell for a buck. No weird enticements. Just get the gov't to brew it. Or maybe work with No Frills or something for a No Name beer. Imagine that, Prov of Ontario official beer. Would certainly help the coffers.

And saved the best til' last:
On the buck-a-beer sham front, which I haven't been following, wonder if it would be wiser for Dugly to have the gov't craft its own beer. One which it could sell for a buck. No weird enticements. Just get the gov't to brew it. Or maybe work with No Frills or something for a No Name beer. Imagine that, Prov of Ontario official beer. Would certainly help the coffers.
"Would certainly help the coffers" Make that *coughers* with the as yet unannounced "buck a pack smokes". Coz Doggie really cares about our well-being...

Last edited:
Wow, this bum wine got me thinking: I no longer feel so bad for taking my lysergics with 3L jugs of Carlo Rossi when I was 20.

You guys seem to forget Toronto goes past Bloor Street? He won 11 seats in Toronto, the same as the NDP, so really I find it rather disingenuous saying Toronto did not vote him in, they played a role. You guys make it seem the NDP won Toronto in a landslide.

I think you meant OLD Toronto knew better.

VOTES not seats. You guys and the big word like disingenuous, where have I heard this before? I remember Doug during his dismal tenure at city hall was full of disingenuousness, and sure Old Toronto who gave Doug the Dollerama Beer King the seats is also the area that drinks the kool-aid that keeps Mammoliti, Ford, Holiday etc on council. BTW before you start assuming I am an NDP-er, sorry to disappoint you, I hold no membership, however I know what's needed for this city.

My bet is that after a few months the will have a hard time finding any brewer interested in this.

My bet is that there will likely be no companies participating for Labour Day. Why would they? What do they have to gain?

1. Ontario already has one of the lowest prices for beer in Canada. The average price of a 2-4 in 2015 being $33.31 (vs $33.86 in QC, $38.11 in AB, $40.39 in BC).

2. The only companies that might afford to do so are the big three (AB InBev, Molson-Coors and Sapporo), and they fully understand the tribalism that runs deep in suburban and rural beer drinkers. How many people reading this know of at least one dog named "Labatt" or "Molson"? I've known a few, and grew up in the heart of conservative Ontario (Orangeville). Those companies can maybe make a few nickels on a 24-pack of beer if they sell at $1/beer at today's costs. That's not gonna happen selling their flagship brands, as cheaping out on those means potentially doing a lot of brand damage. So they'll be special "one off" brands, that likely won't make big gains. Is it worth it creating new branding and promotion for a low-end product that's likely to fail and only sell to alcoholics?

3. The market isn't right for this. It's a time when the big 3 are fighting against the rise of Craft beer, Radler and Cider. So, yet another reason to try not to compete. It's a market that wants premium product, not cheap product.

4. The above all said, the "premium placement" Doug is offering is likely at the LCBO only. The province doesn't have that much control over the Beer Store. And the LCBO can't sell 12- or 24 packs, only 8 packs or less (usually 6-packs). So, someone wanting a 2-4 of buck-a-beer is gonna have to go to the Beer Store, where Doug's promotional help means nothing. Most Beer Stores keep product in the back anyhow. Those that have product on the floor are under agreement with the province to give fair share and placement to craft breweries; and I don't see Doug being *that stupid* to eschew local breweries for the foreign-owned big 3. It would backfire spectacularly. But then again, it's Doug.

5. This is the worst time to try this. Labour Day is a big one for alcohol purchases. The Big 3 are gonna push their product with the biggest margins, not the lowest. And a larger share of the beer purchases will be made in 12/24 packs. A 2-4 of Labatt's Blue on sale will still make more money than 24 $1 beers, guaranteed.

Doug Ford—who doesn't do market research, costs-benefits analyses or even bothers to think things through. And the GTA believes he's a great businessman capable of handling billions in provincial money? Pffft.

^One company already announced they will participate.

Also, where are you getting $33 for a 24?

Right now the cheapest I can find is James Ready Light at $35.75. And that is the CHEAPEST. Most of the regular brands are in the mid-$40's. $33 is certainly not the average. a 24 of Molson in bottles is $37.50.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/james-ready-light

I would be very interested to see if someone is willing to make a 24 pack for $25.20 outside of a promotion, but we will see.

Last edited:

Back