News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Teachers have been one of the best paid government workers in Ontario and Ontario teachers are among the best paid in North America.
Of course they need to strike. They need more. They always need more or they will strike.
And. As I believe I’ve already pointed out to you here, in this thread, a teacher of 30 years has the exact same title as a teacher of 6 months. There are no titles of “teacher manager” or “executive teacher”. From teacher, there are few “upgrades” to the job. At best, a teacher can become a vice principal or principal, but there are few of those positions, and many don’t want a bureaucratic job.

And so, the teacher who’s had 30 years of pay increases gets lumped with the newby straight out of teaching college. And because many teachers are older, it skews average teachers pay dramatically on the high end. New teachers make far less, and it’s all dependent on how much schooling they themselves have had.

I find it interesting that Doug's brother was a drunk, yet he wants tailgating and more places that sell alcohol.

Ontario has a tailgating culture? I wonder if this is building up to yet another pitch for an NFL team in Toronto (and presumably, a purpose-built stadium up Woodbine way or something, where's there's plenty of space for tailgating)

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that ever since the election, we've been party to virtually nothing of the Ford family soap opera (except, maybe, Kyla's contraband cannabis product hawking)? It's like the pre-election Renata lawsuit was the last gasp of anything--and then nothing: dead silence. Including whatever might be up w/Deco these days. Almost like Dougie threatened "action" against anyone who tried.

Thus, Ford opponents have had to settle for posting and reposting that several-year-old G&M piece on Doug's drug-dealing past; because there's nothing fresher out there...

The "fine print", from this link:

Tailgating parties will be made possible by amending a regulation that sets out the terms for special occasion liquor permits.

What about picnics or family BBQ's in parks or at places like Maple Leaf Square?

So, like most here, I am no enthusiast for the Ford government.

That said, I strongly believe in giving credit where due, even to people who are eminently dislikable.

Today's leak is that Thursday's budget will include free dental care for low-income seniors, as promised in the moderate Brown-era PC platform.

It will cover seniors who have less than $19,300 in taxable income (which is roughly the GIS phase-out point); and cost 100M

Its not enough, but it is a good measure.

The biggest step forward for dental coverage since low-income youth began being covered at the province-wide level.

It also reduces the distance (cost and logistics wise) to universal dental care. Something I support.

Story here:

Last edited:
The "fine print", from this link:

What about picnics or family BBQ's in parks or at places like Maple Leaf Square?

Amending the terms for SOPs is a minor regulatory tweak because the parking lots are private property. Think beer garden or outside wedding reception. The devil will be in the details, such a physical perimeter control, sale of liquor vs. bringing your own onto the property, etc. Consumption on public land is more of a legislative leap.

Why do I feel the tailgating and child care subsidy "leaks" are meant to distract from tomorrow's TTC announcement?

Re: the Open for Business for commercial vehicles. Today I saw a semi with a Nova Scotia plate (not the conventional one, it was yellow and red), and it said Open for Business. I dunno, thought it a huge coincidence. And seemingly something the media hasn't picked up on. Googled it and it was short lived in NS, but wonder if the PCs are aware the lame slogan has been done already.

Back