News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A small detail for me, but I personally think it's very important for VIA to have substantial Venture service on Corridor East before the HFR RFP winner is announced. I believe it contributes to confidence in passenger rail service and shows the average Canadian what is possible.
Most definitely.
Conversely, VIA cannot afford any sort of bad press or situation where the trains are pulled from service due to an emerging glitch or manufacturing deficiency. I’m sure that this is one reason why they are going with such a “soft” launch.
One does hear about small teething troubles with the new trains - nothing major or unsolvable, but the media and the public may not bother to put these into context. So until all the bugs are out and there is proven strong performance, it’s like they aren’t even here yet.

- Paul
Agreed, and that’s why I find VIA’s reluctance to restore #650/651 rather puzzling, as these trains are crucial in keeping those communities happy which nominally (i.e., in terms of frequencies running through them, even if not necessarily stopping there) stand to lose under HFR…

Last edited:
I'm not sure that VIA needs all 32 sets in service by the time HFR decisions are made... it may be enough to have put some number of sets in service and have been able to celebrate their arrival and confirm that they are working well.. Certainly good if there is positive buzz among VIA riders, but a certain number of voters will only be reacting to videos or photos. The more people who see them out on the Corridor, of course, the better.

I was hoping for Corridor East to be converted. Not necessarily the delivery of the whole order. I would guess that would be somewhere around 20 trains. I am thinking of the comms/PR strategy. It's good to be able to say, "Look at what we've done for Corridor East and what is on the way for Corridor West in a year. Now imagine what we can accomplish with HFR." That announcement will be less punchy without Corridor East converted.

Given that VIA is no longer involved in HFR, do they care how their operations benefit the HFR proposal?

I would hope so. It's still one team at some level. I can understand why some might feel that Ottawa kicked them in the teeth by carving VIA into two business units, and forming a new team for the most exciting part of the future - but one would hope they would remain professional and committed to the success of the overall enterprise.

I'm sure that more than a few have prepared their CV's for possible career moves to the new venture once a vendor is chosen.

More importantly, if the Corridor has a poor reputation, the remaining functions of VIA are probably even more at risk. HFR is a good set of coat tails to ride on.

- Paul

I would hope so. It's still one team at some level. I can understand why some might feel that Ottawa kicked them in the teeth by carving VIA into two business units, and forming a new team for the most exciting part of the future - but one would hope they would remain professional and committed to the success of the overall enterprise.

I'm sure that more than a few have prepared their CV's for possible career moves to the new venture once a vendor is chosen.

More importantly, if the Corridor has a poor reputation, the remaining functions of VIA are probably even more at risk. HFR is a good set of coat tails to ride on.

- Paul

I didn't mean to imply that they would intentionally sabotage HFR; rather that they might not go out of their way to optimize their current operations for it (i.e. not take short term pain for long term gain).

I didn't mean to imply that they would intentionally sabotage HFR; rather that they might not go out of their way to optimize their current operations for it (i.e. not take short term pain for long term gain).

I do fear the bureaucratic mindset will set in - ie "let's stop all changes and improvements because the vendor may not want them and HFR will pay for them anyways".

- Paul

I do fear the bureaucratic mindset will set in - ie "let's stop all changes and improvements because the vendor may not want them and HFR will pay for them anyways".

- Paul
yup they go full CN/CP and just give the bare bones minimum without going out of the way to put the extra effort into optimisation.

Question for those who know. How does GO's electrification fit for future HFR/HSR schemes?

Do intercity trains have to use the same voltage the whole way? Is it possible to simply switch when entering a new zone?

Question for those who know. How does GO's electrification fit for future HFR/HSR schemes?

Do intercity trains have to use the same voltage the whole way? Is it possible to simply switch when entering a new zone?
I'm pretty sure everyone is designing for 25kv since its pretty much standard for intercity and heavy commuter rail. Correct me if I'm wrong though

I'm pretty sure everyone is designing for 25kv since its pretty much standard for intercity and heavy commuter rail. Correct me if I'm wrong though
Nope, you're on the ball here.

The architecture of how the actual overhead network can differ, and phase breaks will be required between different providers, but what is presented to the train ends up being the same 25kV ac.

Dan

Since we are building the system from the ground up, it makes sense to standardize on a single voltage, but even if there were different voltages in use, multi-voltage trains are used in Europe to seamlessly transition between the different track voltages in different countries. For example, the original 17 Thalis trains can run on the 4 voltages used in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany.

Europe rail electrification en
Original: Jklamo Vector: N299
This SVG map includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this map: Blank map europe.svg (by RedHotHeat)., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Since we are building the system from the ground up, it makes sense to standardize on a single voltage, but even if there were different voltages in use, multi-voltage trains are used in Europe to seamlessly transition between the different track voltages in different countries. For example, the original 17 Thalis trains can run on the 4 voltages used in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany.

Europe rail electrification en
Original: Jklamo Vector: N299
This SVG map includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this map: Blank map europe.svg (by RedHotHeat)., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
There is zero need to look to Europe on this.

It happens every single day on the North East Corridor, where 3 different voltage systems are used.

Dan

There is zero need to look to Europe on this.

It happens every single day on the North East Corridor, where 3 different voltage systems are used.

Dan
I have zero experience on the NE Corridor. Would you consider that line(s) to be the model for what the VIA corridor could become? The distances and population numbers are not quite comparable, but equipment could, may or might be. Without taking up your time, as this may have been discussed other places previously, a yes, no or maybe would be good for me! Thanks. I'll need to go for a ride myself.

Back