News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think it is also important for the landscape architects to pay attention to the current and future changes to the precinct (Faculty of Law, Faculty of Music, Planetarium, Women's College Hospital, Bay Street intensification, etc. As a side note, there is a vast amount of "lawn" space as indicated in the report at U of T that's not part of the UOS (University Open Space). These spaces are often degraded but could add so much to the urban experience if properly maintained and redesigned (the area right around the LD Pharmacy Building is one that came to mind - having lost a significant amount of trees over the years and have this general denuded feel to what's a prominent corner of the city).

Also, what's not mentioned is the awkwardness of the Queen's Park complex and the awkwardness QPC W south of Wellesley, and as well as the uninspiring legislative forecourt. This exercise should really aim to tackle the entire area at least conceptually.

AoD

Last edited:
Did you at least *try* to read the linked PDF?

AoD

Queen's Park is relatively a more pleasant park downtown, but I was never able to thoroughly enjoy it due to the fact that at any spot in the park itself, you always see and hear fast moving cars not too far from you in every direction, and to walk from one green space to another involves crossing a one way four lane semi-highway. Not exactly the kind of urban park I have in mind.

Queen's Park Crescent really makes the park a lot less pleasant than it could be.

Queen's Park is relatively a more pleasant park downtown, but I was never able to thoroughly enjoy it due to the fact that at any spot in the park itself, you always see and hear fast moving cars not too far from you in every direction, and to walk from one green space to another involves crossing a one way four lane semi-highway. Not exactly the kind of urban park I have in mind.

Queen's Park Crescent really makes the park a lot less pleasant than it could be.

You came from locales with far more traffic and other negative externalities affecting parks - please, that's a rather poor justification.

AoD

A decent sized water fountain in the centre of the park (as proposed) could help with drowning the sound out.

Also, what's not mentioned is the awkwardness of the Queen's Park complex and the awkwardness QPC W south of Wellesley, and as well as the uninspiring legislative forecourt. This exercise should really aim to tackle the entire area at least conceptually.

AoD

There's also the fact that Queen's Park South still lacks a proper pedestrian promenade from College St. I'm amazed that more people haven't been hit crossing QPC over the years.

You came from locales with far more traffic and other negative externalities affecting parks - please, that's a rather poor justification.

AoD

I usually have a lot of respect for you, but this comment of yours makes absolutely no sense. I came from locales with more traffic and noises, so I can't comment on Queen's Park being too noisy and less than ideal? At least the locale I am from has the justification of having 2/3 of Canada's population in one city for being noisy. Toronto doesn't.

There is a a 140 hectare urban park (similar to the size of High Park) 5 subway stops/15 minutes from the core in where I am from, where there is absolutely no car traffic, with plenty of manicured garden, water feature (music fountains, lakes etc.), various interesting architecture (pavilions, pagoda etc.), mini-golf, cafes, as well as a science museum and a open theatre for people to enjoy. Trust me, I have seen tranquil large urban parks in large noisy cities and I happen to think Torontonians deserves one.

I usually have a lot of respect for you, but this comment of yours makes absolutely no sense. I came from locales with more traffic and noises, so I can't comment on Queen's Park being too noisy and less than ideal? At least the locale I am from has the justification of having 2/3 of Canada's population in one city for being noisy. Toronto doesn't.

There is a a 140 hectare urban park (similar to the size of High Park) 5 subway stops/15 minutes from the core in where I am from, where there is absolutely no car traffic, with plenty of manicured garden, water feature (music fountains, lakes etc.), various interesting architecture (pavilions, pagoda etc.), mini-golf, cafes, as well as a science museum and a open theatre for people to enjoy. Trust me, I have seen tranquil large urban parks in large noisy cities and I happen to think Torontonians deserves one.

Sounds like someone has never made it out to the islands...

the islands cost $7 and it is far from a well designed urban park. Most of what you see are just trees and grass.

$7 return, which is no different than taking the subway to an urban park, which is exactly what most would do if it were located on the mainland.

It has EVERYTHING you listed, and a lot of potential to become even more. You're just too dense to see that.

First, don't butter me up with this respect talk - flattery gets you nowhere, and I am not sure if that was the intent anyways. Second, every city is structured differently - and no amount of redevelopment will get you a High Park sized space in an already built up downtown (and certainly, talking about QPN as a comparator to that is comparing apples with oranges, which makes absolutely NO sense). As Tuscani as pointed out, you also have the option of the Islands if so desired - and heck, you had to pass through parks and a lake to get to tranquility. Not sure if where you're from offers that.

AoD

Last edited:
Well in page 29 of the pdf it did mention plantings between the road and the running path as an idea. Perhaps a short hedge wrapping around the park would provide for more enclosure?

Well in page 29 of the pdf it did mention plantings between the road and the running path as an idea. Perhaps a short hedge wrapping around the park would provide for more enclosure?

Maybe, though public maintenance of hedges could very well be a hit and miss thing. Short cast-iron gates sympathetic to the period design might be an alternative.

AoD

Maybe, though public maintenance of hedges could very well be a hit and miss thing. Short cast-iron gates sympathetic to the period design might be an alternative.

That too. There are actually examples of either across the street. A hedge in front of Regis College and a gate around the St. Mike buildings further up QPC E.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back