News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm not so sure I would agree.

The glass it self, coupled with what's to come at the RITZ site created a somewhat unique look for Toronto, seeing how we don't have that many glass towers concentrated together.

Moreover, what solution would you propose?
Building something with a closer form to the bank of America building so it would fit in?

Please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about construction or building logistics or anything like that... I think RBC would have had greater impact by chosing a cladding that has a contrast to the glass roof of RTH so I guess that would mean stone or brick or some other relatively opaque surface. Of course that doesn't preclude beautiful glass windows and such but would still give an overall impression that would play off of RTH and dialogue with it. This would be the opposite effect of what you see in the Distillery where the towers are light and glassy to contrast with the industrial brick of the buildings that surround them. RBC could then have incorporated a dramatic flourish at its roof line to make its statement on the skyline that would be well apart from the iconic RTH. As for the Ritz I think it is fine as is because it is separated from RTH by RBC, and an RBC as described above would provide the added benefit of playing well off of the glassy Ritz. All three buildings would have stood out in the contrast. Instead, my impression is that the designers of RBC and Ritz didn't consult with each other and didn't visit the site (i'm sure thy did, but you get what i mean). Just my thought.

3242582992_810b242c4b_b.jpg

It's too early to judge but for awhile I did think the glass was going to look too similar (yet not quite the same) on RBC and Ritz. I thought it was too much of the same, and that it should be identical if that's the look they really wanted.

But Ritz is shaping up to be its own unique style. I think it might work out nicely.

Anything on the lantern fill-in yet?? From that shot it looks like nothing's changed.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but they have added visor like things on the north face of the podium section coming down in three (I think) sets of rows. I personally dont like it as it seems needless and just busies it up what had otherwise been really clean and modern looking.

Not to mention we have pictures and discussion showing the "visor like things" a few pages back :)

I wasnt arguing they werent on the rendering or as planned - I am just pointing out they are new on the actual building and that I think they look crap.

Actually, it looks quite depressing: the convention centre loading docks, Crown Plaza Hotel, convention centre Front St entrance, and those Conservatory Group condos all have one thing in common: they're very suburban in thinking. Is it possible to rejig the entire area to make it pedestrian friendly? Perhaps Toronto should rehire some of those Victorian era builders?

Back