News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

they do work safely....

Really you are a child....

safety is paramount over anything, a delayed building is nothing compared to a dead or injured worker.... :rolleyes:
But you don't understand! We could have made it taller!! That low-wage immigrant worker who fell to his death -- that could have been another floor! That contractor who was crushed -- another floor!!

(I'm doing the reverse-Schindler's List thing here, with regard to Mystery White Boy's shocking lack of concern for human life, in case none of that made any sense)

Buildings in general were built much quicker in those days. Plus they didn't have the equipment we have today. I just think workers are lazy today and take way too much time to complete buildings. A glass tower should not take so long, there's no intricacy in the detailing.

Well, time for you to get your butt over there and help out the lazy workers. Show 'em how it's done.

But you don't understand! We could have made it taller!! That low-wage immigrant worker who fell to his death -- that could have been another floor! That contractor who was crushed -- another floor!!

(I'm doing the reverse-Schindler's List thing here, with regard to Mystery White Boy's shocking lack of concern for human life, in case none of that made any sense)

I don't hack a lack of concern for human life. I just think buildings take too long to be completed for this day and age. I'm sure there were plenty of buildings completed quickly in the 20s, 30s, etc...with no casualties. And remember the casualties back then were not necessarily caused by working too fast but lack of safety measures and careless walking on beams. We have more safety now so things should get built quicker. How is it that the Freedom Tower in New York which is going to be 1776 feet tall only going to take maybe a year longer than this tower? Sure they have more workers but I think there other things that cause the slow pace.

I don't hack a lack of concern for human life. I just think buildings take too long to be completed for this day and age. I'm sure there were plenty of buildings completed quickly in the 20s, 30s, etc...with no casualties. And remember the casualties back then were not necessarily caused by working too fast but lack of safety measures and careless walking on beams. We have more safety now so things should get built quicker. How is it that the Freedom Tower in New York which is going to be 1776 feet tall only going to take maybe a year longer than this tower? Sure they have more workers but I think there other things that cause the slow pace.

Example: 3400 workers built the Empire State Building, 5 died. Excavation began Jan. 22 1930, and the building officially opened on May 1 1931. That's how buildings got built so fast back in the day.
I don't believe any developer wants to build a building slowly, they have tens of millions (and more) financed for these projects. It's about strict safety regulations, Union & Labour regulations, the amount of hours in a 5 day workweek that a site can be active and surely a host of other constraints.

Example: 3400 workers built the Empire State Building, 5 died. Excavation began Jan. 22 1930, and the building officially opened on May 1 1931. That's how buildings got built so fast back in the day.
I don't believe any developer wants to build a building slowly, they have tens of millions (and more) financed for these projects. It's about strict safety regulations, Union & Labour regulations, the amount of hours in a 5 day workweek that a site can be active and surely a host of other constraints.

They should be working 8 days a week.

Construction of the Empire State was particularly rapid because the owners were in a race with the builders of the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall Street to see who would construct the world's tallest building first, and how long they would hold the title for.

Construction of the Empire State was particularly rapid because the owners were in a race with the builders of the Chrysler Building and 40 Wall Street to see who would construct the world's tallest building first, and how long they would hold the title for.

The Chrysler Building was completed the year the Empire State Building began construction. It wasn't really a race. Just a response.

Exactly.

No amount of money/pressure/complaining can take the place of pure competition and bragging rights.

The structures built today are much more complex then those built in the past. The OBC alone is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was only a few decades ago. The mechanical systems in place require highly specialize labour and not everything always goes perfectly smoothly - a developer is much like a conductor or a complex orchestra with many many different sub-contractors and different companies completing specialized tasks within very specific time frames.

The construction process and the structures built today have very little in common with those built 80 years ago.

The developers are going as fast as they can with this and most other projects - afterall time is money, taking out tens if not hundreds of millions in loans results in very high interest payments - it is in no one's best interest to delays the completion of a new office or condo tower.

Back