News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Photo taken today January 14 they have completed the podium portion of the tower and are now rising above it. You can see the top of the podium in the upper right hand corner and they are continuing to install more glass.

2194413008_f49cd77abb_b.jpg

current provided this update on SSC..

Thank you caltrane74 for posting the photo and this is from the RBC web site

January 2008

Construction continues on schedule. Concrete slabs will be poured for floor levels 13, 14, 15 and 16 in the tower area. Forming and pouring of the ground floor slab in the south half of the podium will continue. Forming for the second floor slab in the north podium area will commence this month. The area south of the podium does not continue above the street level but becomes a paved Courtyard. Elevator installation will begin with the installation of the first rails in the shafts. Preparation will start for installation of the floating floor system on the 11th floor mechanical rooms. The installation of the base building permanent lighting will continue throughout the parking levels. The adjacent Ritz-Carlton project will continue forming and pouring the ground floor slab.

what is this floating floor system? Anyone care to explain? Is that just jargon for 'elevator'? Luckily I'll be in a class for construction as part of the real property program I'm taking so if no one knows, its all good, ill find out eventually.

Floating floor is when the floor is built as a platform, creating a void between the underside of floor and the top of slab, which allows for easy running of pipes and cables. Almost like a drop ceiling in reverse

Floating floor also called raised floor. Very common in the financial district for many years. Comprised of interlocking steel panels 24inches to 36inches square which makes for easy access to wiring, cable etc. between the slab and raised floor. Makes for very flexible workstations as changes made in office layouts can be accommadated with relative ease with regard to power and computer cabling requirements. Removal modular carpet (18" squares) is installed on the raised floor to facilitate easy access to underfloor wiring.

Are there problems with the raised floors and heavy loads? i.e. I know our firm's library required special bracing to hold the extra weight of the books (in a regular steel frame building (not raised floor)).

The loading for floors that have a Library, an Archives or a records centre will need to be around twice the normal ratio.

You can't see it too well in this picture but the opaque glass on the right section is darker than the one on the rest of the building.

2194413008_f49cd77abb_b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You can't see it too well in this picture but the opaque glass on the right section is darker than the one on the rest of the building.

Little Update, Been a really long time since I ventured in this part of town and I must say I like the progress on RBC and Ritz, even though the ritz remains very hard to photograph.
DSC_2973copy.jpg

DSC_2974copy.jpg

DSC_2975copy.jpg

DSC_2977copy.jpg

DSC_2978copy.jpg

Thanks.
Paul

question to anyone:

i moved to toronto in 1991 and was not here for any of the major construction booms.
in other cities, i am used to seeing only concrete construction (but mostly witnessed building 40 stories and under being built).
i notice that the BA tower is steel frame with a concrete core.
how common is that?
are most of the big towers steel with a concrete core?

Back