News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's a great patio - I'm glad it opened in summer to take advantage of. And a much better use of space than the Shopys IMO.

This video is a little creeperish.

Wondering what's up with that old Toronto fake Chinese nugget, Lichee Garden - after a spell in Thornhill for a few years, they announced they were finally moving back downtown, to the Theatre district. Earlier in the summer, I saw their sign on a building on the south west side of King and Peter, but when I went back a month and a half ago, it was nowhere to be found. Then last weekend during Nuit Blance I noticed that the sign had re-appeared, but I couldn't tell if the place was up and running yet. I have never, ever tasted battered shrimp as good as theirs anywhere, so I've been kind of desperate to visit them again, but they're making it a very frustrating process!!

17 October 2010: Beautiful Fall day in the market, where's my lawyer?

dsc01256t.jpg

dsc01257e.jpg

Marc Thuet's Conviction restaurant on King West near Portland is history. The hustle and bustle of Freedville has become too much for Thuet and his wife. They've decided to open something in Rosedale. There are still Thuet bakery/cafes at 1 King West and on King Street East past Sherbourne.

I thought I read that the Conviction restaurant shut down temporarily just so they could film the second season of the convicts-as-restaurant-workers show in B.C.

No, I think it's gone for good.

You should all try Buca across the street: delicious.

What used to be Montana at Richmond and John, is re-opening. I've seen the work going on now for over a month, and I spotted the building permit signs and looked them up. Here is what I found:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Inspection

TORONTO ON M5V 1W2

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 10 276564 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Oct 19, 2010

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to ground floor and 2nd floor of existing restaurant for new tenant. (revisous tenant - "Montana's and new tenant - "Pin-Ups Restaurant". Occupant load - Second floor 435, including 80 on Low roof patio, and Ground floor - 696. See PAL 10 265058.

What used to be Montana at Richmond and John, is re-opening. I've seen the work going on now for over a month, and I spotted the building permit signs and looked them up. Here is what I found:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Inspection

TORONTO ON M5V 1W2

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 10 276564 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Oct 19, 2010

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to ground floor and 2nd floor of existing restaurant for new tenant. (revisous tenant - "Montana's and new tenant - "Pin-Ups Restaurant". Occupant load - Second floor 435, including 80 on Low roof patio, and Ground floor - 696. See PAL 10 265058.

Do you know if this will be "MontanA" or "Montana'S" restaurant? Previously, it was an independent Montana restaurant. I am HOPING it will be the chain restaurant "Montana'S" - see link below.

http://www.montanas.ca/

I ate at the Montana's out near York U once, and I can say - without hyperbole - that it was by far and away the worst food and service I have ever, EVER, experienced in my life, hands down.

That's true, and Montana's is no worse than those.

I guess it shouldn't amaze me that there's actually demand for this crap. The area is heavily patronized by 905ers, who I suppose are intimidated by cool King/Queen St restaurants and perfer this freeway offramp SuperCentre bigboxes just like they have at home. Comfort zone thing.

That's true, and Montana's is no worse than those.

I guess it shouldn't amaze me that there's actually demand for this crap. The area is heavily patronized by 905ers, who I suppose are intimidated by cool King/Queen St restaurants and perfer this freeway offramp SuperCentre bigboxes just like they have at home. Comfort zone thing.

I'm pretty sure the previous tenant in that building was a restaurant called Montana (without the 's) and it was not related to the suburban restaurant chain. Still, either way, it wasn't very good. This new bowling alley sounds kind of cool, though I expect their clientelle will consist of an equal combination of downtown hipsters and pre-club 905ers. It will be the ultimate clash of cultures, avec ping pong. I think we need that.

Back