News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I had breakfast at the new Fran's last week, and despite the fact that it's a mediocre chain overall this space is nice. The walls facing the park open right up onto what will soon be a patio. The decor inside is very nice, clean, and modern, and it's going to do very well in that space considering all the tourist traffic.

And never fear, the Corned Beef House is moving to a new location 270 Adelaide West, in the space across from Hooter's that used to be the Avalon Restaurant (and later that Spice Safar place that has apparently failed).

I don't know why people love Fran's. This city has such a treasure trove of excellent brunch spots that are cheaper and more inventive with their food. The only saving grace for Fran's, I guess, is that it's open 24 hours.

On the above, Superior Restaurant has gone under, so has Golden Electronics, both icons of that block for many years.

On a totally diff note, South Street Burgers is coming to the Shops of Don Mills.

^ I saw Superior the other day with posters all over the window. I believe it's going to be a middle eastern place called Paramount. Kinda sad, they've been on Yonge a long time and the family was thrilled when they restored that location. I think they finished that restoration around the same time the Eaton Centre re-did their Yonge St. streetscape. The whole thing was supposed to be a kind of rebirth on that part of Yonge St.

^

superior1.jpg

They have a couple locations ... actually better then your typical middle eastern joint.
I don't really think it's a loss - I personally never really liked superior but the timing is rather odd ... just redeveloped ... you have to wonder, why?

I don't really think re-paving the sidewalks or adding new light fixtures will lead to revitalization in any way ... not in Toronto - in the sense that there are many other successful areas (up and coming areas) - the majority of which have never been repaved or anything of the sort ... don't forget, Toronto is an ugly city at street level (particularly when you look down) ... we're used to it ...
I do hope things change for this block ... funny enough the segment north of Dundas to Bloor (big segment I know) seems to be doing a lot better relatively.

Here's another general comment / question ... has anyone noticed Yonge street as a whole has been less busy this summer compared to last (I'm referring to weekends / Fridays only actually)? - I can't really comment on say Bloor or Queen really.

This is for the old TD Bank at Christie & Dupont.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M6G 1Z4

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 10 247112 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Aug 25, 2010

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal to convert existing bank to 'Starbucks'. Proposal includes interior alterations to ground and basement floor.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.671681,-79.421181&spn=0.000462,0.001363&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.671657,-79.421302&panoid=De4SRRubc3Eq9QWBq7Lqlw&cbp=12,175.54,,0,0.57

I am sad to see Superior go, and hope that the new owners don't tamper too much with some of the heritage interiors, but I suspect they lost a lot of business once the non-food court restaurants at Metropolis (whatever it is called now) and the 3 Brasseurs opened.

I will miss Superior. With so many crappy chain restaurants in the area, Superior stood out, it was the best spot in the area to dine before a show at the one of the near by theaters.

^ Superior was on Yonge St. for a very long time. Here's a short history from their website.

The building at 253 Yonge Street, built just one year after confederation, originally housed a druggist and a milliner. At the turn of the century, it was converted into a candy factory. It was 1947 when the building was reinvented by Tom Alexopoulos - Lexovsky as “The Superior Tea Rooms”, which he operated with his two children Jean and George. The Superior Restaurant was a popular Yonge Street institution during the “hey day” of this area south of Dundas that was part of the “going downtown” experience.

After a 24-year hiatus and many reincarnations the building was reclaimed and fully renovated by Tom's grandsons.

The bar today is the original 1868 building. The dining area and a kitchen were added in 1907 and 1947, respectively. The most modern renovation is tribute to integrating the old and the new. The warmth and inviting coziness of the exposed bricks and beams are integral to the feel of this eclectic and colourful renovation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting banner on their website says "Look for a new concept from the Superior family in Winter 2011".

Last edited:
Dark Horse

Dark Horse is opening another location at Euclid and Queen West and looks to be a few weeks from opening.

Back