News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yesterday, there was a large truck parked on Ferrier, next to the old Mr Greek space, and large equipment was being unloaded (kitchen equipment?).

Just noticed over the weekend new posters for that space noting "Opening soon... ANESTIS". Looks like another Greek restaurant is coming into this space.

According to the Toronto Building application status site, someone has applied for a zoning review to convert the old It's My Party space to a fitness studio.

The maternity store Evymama, located in the same plaza as Café Florentina (at Danforth and Playter), has closed (moved to St. Clair W. IIRC), and I noticed The Great Canadian Sox Co. has quickly opened in its place (but I haven't been in yet).

Greek City on the danforth closed its doors on Sunday. Was a great store for a long time sad to see it go.

I'm surprised Greek City lasted as long as it did. I'm sure it was a lovely store, but I suspect the internet simply has a much better selection of Greek-language products, and second and third generation Greek-Canadians are likely buying far fewer such products than their parents and grandparents.

Noticed on the weekend that the former Canadian Tire Express/Mark's Work Warehouse is finally for lease.

Just noticed over the weekend new posters for that space noting "Opening soon... ANESTIS". Looks like another Greek restaurant is coming into this space.

Nice to see the Danforth "replenishing" the Greek restaurants. I'm dreading the inevitable invasion of Joey's, Milestones etc.

I'm surprised Greek City lasted as long as it did. I'm sure it was a lovely store, but I suspect the internet simply has a much better selection of Greek-language products, and second and third generation Greek-Canadians are likely buying far fewer such products than their parents and grandparents.

It's not all bad news, we have Greek world across the road and they stock a lot of the same stuff Greek city did, should pick up a bit of business now.

Greek city made a name for itself by being the main go to place for Greek music and dvds, with the ability to download off the internet, YouTube etc the incentive to go to such a store now ain't all that high for the younger generations. Honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a cd there, but they had lots of cool other stuff. Shattered I missed the closing down sale.

Nice to see the Danforth "replenishing" the Greek restaurants. I'm dreading the inevitable invasion of Joey's, Milestones etc.

well Omonia went out and anestis is in, they tend to even themselves out over time. Don't know who is behind it but I hope they do well, I'm just surprised someone would even bother to open a new Greek resto considering the competition on the strip with so many other established Greek restaurants. If you're gonna do something Greek you may as well go down the path of a more casual cafe type setup, the danforth is very heavy on Greek restos but only has a few genuine Greek cafes.

It looks like things might be slowly moving along in respect of the William Harris House at the NW corner of Pape and Riverdale. Owned by the Salvation Army for years, Councillor Fletcher tried unsuccessfully around 2010 to turn it into affordable housing for artists (but it did get designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in the process). At one point, it was floated as a possible new home for the Red Door shelter. The post-Salvation Army owners lost the property when it turned out they'd stolen money from diet spokesperson Stanley Bernstein. Earlier this year, the new (and current) owners briefly listed the house for sale for $1 ("We're just putting it out there and seeing what potential it has"). I'm guessing they didn't get an acceptable offer, because the owners have now filed a PPR/zoning review for the 28-unit condominium they have been talking about for so long. Baby steps.

the danforth is very heavy on Greek restos but only has a few genuine Greek cafes.

I have no idea whether it was genuine or not, but I see the short-lived Caffè Greco (just west of Logan) has died.

I also noticed this past weekend that the Jamba Juice/Yogurty's Froyo combo near the SW corner of Logan and Danforth has also vacated the premises.

It looks like things might be slowly moving along in respect of the William Harris House at the NW corner of Pape and Riverdale. Owned by the Salvation Army for years, Councillor Fletcher tried unsuccessfully around 2010 to turn it into affordable housing for artists (but it did get designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in the process). At one point, it was floated as a possible new home for the Red Door shelter. The post-Salvation Army owners lost the property when it turned out they'd stolen money from diet spokesperson Stanley Bernstein. Earlier this year, the new (and current) owners briefly listed the house for sale for $1 ("We're just putting it out there and seeing what potential it has"). I'm guessing they didn't get an acceptable offer, because the owners have now filed a PPR/zoning review for the 28-unit condominium they have been talking about for so long. Baby steps.

Is there a render for the condo project? Tearing down the addition and restoring the original house was always a pet project of mine for when the lottery funds kicked in. Maybe a 1/28 share would be OK?

The only rendering I've ever seen is the one in the first link I provided in my post above (it's image #2 on the Catherine Nasmith page). Just a concept drawing.

Back