News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Despite my earlier comments to the contrary, Chinatown does seem to be suffering. Since the fire, several businesses have vanished from Broadview south of Gerrard.

Broadview is starting to look quite barren.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I suspect Chinatown East will continue to vanish. Still, there's not that many "business districts" this close to downtown with higher-end retail strips just north and south of it (Danforth & Queen) that is still sort of frozen in time. Basically, I'd expect a funky bar to open here within a year or two, followed by 20 more. ;)

I really hope you're not accurate with your prediction of the demise of Chinatown East. It's part of the reason I want to move into the area.

I'm not sure what the exact demographics of the area are, but my guess is that they have changed profoundly since Chinatown East first developed, and that the resident population of Chinese descent is likely much smaller than that time. I think it is inevitable that Chinatown East will become less Chinese, just as the Danforth has become less Greek over the years as well.

I really hope you're not accurate with your prediction of the demise of Chinatown East. It's part of the reason I want to move into the area.
Not claiming it to be my wish, but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while. On the plus side, there's about five restaurants and one market that continue to do well, so I don't think it will be completely wiped-out, at least anytime soon.

Pretty sure it will indeed slowly lose loose its Chinese heritage ... I think this is OK / inevitable ... the real question is will anything replace the shut down shops ... or will the area decline ...

The are won't decline. The location is too good - proximity to the DVP, Riverdale, Leslivieville, cool bike paths and parks down in the valley, the Danforth, proximity to downtown relative to Leslieville or the Beach, access to the Broadview streetcar up to the Danny or down to Queen and/or Corktown. I expect renewal. It'll go more polyglot. More bars and restos, yeah. And more mid-rise, replacing some of the sadder, more neglected buildings. The same thing that's creeping up on Little India, really. It'll take a few years to build out - quite a few, but I just don't see it becoming any shabbier than it currently is.

I'm not sure what the exact demographics of the area are, but my guess is that they have changed profoundly since Chinatown East first developed, and that the resident population of Chinese descent is likely much smaller than that time. I think it is inevitable that Chinatown East will become less Chinese, just as the Danforth has become less Greek over the years as well.

Not claiming it to be my wish, but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while. On the plus side, there's about five restaurants and one market that continue to do well, so I don't think it will be completely wiped-out, at least anytime soon.

I think the comparison with the Danforth is apt. While WASPs continue to move into the Danforth area, and the number of Greek-owned businesses along the strip (kids' clothing stores, shoe stores, etc.) keeps dropping, there continues to be a successful number of Greek restaurants along the strip, primarily serving souvlaki to the WASPs. Jason is likely correct - there is a good chance that there will continue to be a cluster of Chinese restaurants/markets along this strip (although not necessarily the ones that exist today), and people will likely have reason to keep calling the strip Chinatown East, but as the area continues to gentrify, the Chinese character, much like the Greek character of the Danforth, will be more a matter of marketing and folklore than actual demographics.

there is a good chance that there will continue to be a cluster of Chinese restaurants/markets along this strip (although not necessarily the ones that exist today), and people will likely have reason to keep calling the strip Chinatown East, but as the area continues to gentrify, the Chinese character, much like the Greek character of the Danforth, will be more a matter of marketing and folklore than actual demographics.
I'm totally fine with this as long as the food continues to be good.

My guess is that this marks the end of Chinatown II which had already contracted considerably since its heyday in the early 80s, especially after the Vietnamese influx. That building housed the last best produce store as well as a great place to pick up Chinese dishware etc. The SW is already pretty derelict and almost all boarded up. That giant archway on Gerrard opposite the jail will be all that remains, a relic of the past.

I expect a condo proposal sign any second now ...

View attachment 15653

View attachment 15654

And now this.

I just hope we don't lose Bill's Lobsters!!! I've bought five pounders there.

While I mourn the lose of the rather handsome old brick building, I can't say I feel much sadness at, as I predict, the end of this strip. It's way past its prime. Even the Pearl Court doesn't do it for me anymore -- and I used to be a regular back in the day when it was a hole in the wall on the north side.

With the gentrification of Leslieville and Riverdale since the 80s, this area is ripe for redeveloment, as we have seen with the establishment of places like Batifole, Great Burger Kitchen etc.

... as I was saying ...

A decade ago I was telling friends that, if I won the loto, I'd be buying up real estate on Gerrard ....

I've seen the transition of the Danforth as well. Restaurants that went from greasy open kitchens (Zorba's is the only one left, I think) to mezes places and gift shops that disappeared. But a couple of great bakeries remained. I lament the loss of Sun Valley and the Greek Food Market (real Greek yogurt!) more than anything.

Gerrard will be fine. It's between Leslieville and Riverdale. How much more desirable can you get? Real estate will be cheap. Transit is good. And, as long as zoning cooperates, it's perfect for towns and low-rise condos -- although folks on First Ave and Simpson will flip out. (We used to live on Simpson.) I just hope it doesn't go the way of Queen E with way too many trendy little restos and not enough real shopping.

Doesn't seem likely, but neither did Ossington itself ten years ago.

No, Queen East has enough bars and restaurants.

Gerrard will have some, yes, but it will also have condos and some serious shopping, indie apparel stores etc.

Riverdale and Leslieville are too pricey for young people on the club/bar scene and, for young couples buying in, they'll be too house poor to eat out. I wish I could invest in low-rise condos there.

There's a new country-themed bar/restaurant (Boots and Bourbon Saloon) that has opened in the space of the old Riverdale Public House

I think the comparison with the Danforth is apt. While WASPs continue to move into the Danforth area, and the number of Greek-owned businesses along the strip (kids' clothing stores, shoe stores, etc.) keeps dropping, there continues to be a successful number of Greek restaurants along the strip, primarily serving souvlaki to the WASPs. Jason is likely correct - there is a good chance that there will continue to be a cluster of Chinese restaurants/markets along this strip (although not necessarily the ones that exist today), and people will likely have reason to keep calling the strip Chinatown East, but as the area continues to gentrify, the Chinese character, much like the Greek character of the Danforth, will be more a matter of marketing and folklore than actual demographics.

Is it fair to call the professionals gentrifying the Danforth WASPs? Usually in gentrification, it's a mix of white people: Catholics, Jews and Protestants. However, calling all these people WASPs is inappropriate. What's happening on the Danforth is that the ethnic group that settled in the area, originally working class, is mostly leaving. A few Greek Canadian professions will probably return in time, but not in any recognizable concentration.

Back