News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Man struck by vehicle in the city’s St. Lawrence neighbourhood suffers serious injuries while exiting streetcar.

https://www.cp24.com/news/man-struck-by-vehicle-downtown-while-getting-off-streetcar-1.4831555
"Police have not said if any charges will be laid against the driver."

Under what circumstances can charges possibly not be warranted? On the CRLVs the driver would sometimes activate the doors well before the stop and then the doors would open with people getting out unexpectedly, startling car drivers. But there's no way to miss the flashing lights of the Flexcity.

How To Make Every City Walkable in Three Infographics
America doesn’t need an ambitious pedestrian-safety target. We need seven of them.

From link.

asheville-pedestrian-with-bags.png

German-pedesrian-goals-infographic.png

Avoid-Shift-Improve-Approach.png

Avoid-Shift-Improve-Flow-Chart.png
If the TTC could get me to work faster, I'd consider leaving my car at home. I live at Sumach and Carlton and work at Dufferin and Supertest (just south of Steeles). I leave for work at 7:15am and leave for home at 4pm. My drive door to door can take about 35-40 mins in the morning at 45-60 min in evening. The car is paid for, I park it in my driveway, insurance is about $120 a month ($1,440 a year), annual maintenance and season tire swap is about $1,500 a year. So my commute costs me about $3,000 a year.

There are about 260 working days a year, minus 20 days vacation makes it 240 days. 240 x $6.50 TTC fare with preso is $1,560. Get that down to about $1,000 and we can talk.

Police say 3 pedestrians hit by vehicle in Willowdale.

The pedestrians were hit in the area of Yonge Street and Park Home Avenue, near Sheppard Avenue West, at around 8 a.m.

"The initial reports were that there were two pedestrians that were struck," Const. Alex Li told CP24 on Friday morning. "When our officers arrived on scene, they identified a third victim."

Li said information from the scene suggests that after the pedestrians were struck, the vehicle involved rolled over, hit a gas line, and crashed into a nearby building.

https://www.cp24.com/news/police-3-pedestrians-hit-by-vehicle-in-willowdale-1.4831642

Police say 3 pedestrians hit by vehicle in Willowdale.

The pedestrians were hit in the area of Yonge Street and Park Home Avenue, near Sheppard Avenue West, at around 8 a.m.

"The initial reports were that there were two pedestrians that were struck," Const. Alex Li told CP24 on Friday morning. "When our officers arrived on scene, they identified a third victim."

Li said information from the scene suggests that after the pedestrians were struck, the vehicle involved rolled over, hit a gas line, and crashed into a nearby building.

https://www.cp24.com/news/police-3-pedestrians-hit-by-vehicle-in-willowdale-1.4831642

Very similar to the one you posted about a couple of pages back, same corner of that intersection even.

It's a bit unnerving how many accidents end up with a vehicle on the sidewalk. I've passed by 3 this year around Yonge and Steeles, in one case it was a TTC bus.

Last edited:
"Police have not said if any charges will be laid against the driver."

Under what circumstances can charges possibly not be warranted?

This is CP24 speak for "we're trying to drag this out and generate as much zero-effort content as possible from this one single event, so check back in 20 minutes when we republish this with a "breaking updated developing news" story banner and add one sentence to the original post which notes they now have done that part.

It's a bit unnerving how many accidents end up with a vehicle on the sidewalk. I've passed by 3 this year around Yonge and Steeles, in one case it was a TTC bus.
It's noteworthy how much faith we put in a 4-6 inch band of concrete to separate us from vehicular traffic.

It's noteworthy how much faith we put in a 4-6 inch band of concrete to separate us from vehicular traffic.

That reality -- combined with the fact that you can't walk for more than about 10 minutes anywhere downtown without encountering cars/trucks parked on the sidewalk -- has always made me wonder why we don't add metal bollards to sidewalk/road reconstruction projects. They do this on a widespread basis in cities all over western Europe, which is one of the (many) reasons why I always feel safe walking around downtown Paris, London, et al.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 2.04.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 2.09.51 PM.png

That reality -- combined with the fact that you can't walk for more than about 10 minutes anywhere downtown without encountering cars/trucks parked on the sidewalk -- has always made me wonder why we don't add metal bollards to sidewalk/road reconstruction projects. They do this on a widespread basis in cities all over western Europe, which is one of the (many) reasons why I always feel safe walking around downtown Paris, London, et al.

View attachment 233555

View attachment 233557

You'd get jersey barriers here instead. Be careful what you wish for.

AoD

Ironically there are places where they put up steel beams to stop cars from going into a ravine or parkland like here north of York Mills:

yorkmills.png

Why couldn't they put these barriers on the other side of the sidewalk so they can protect the people too?

Ironically there are places where they put up steel beams to stop cars from going into a ravine or parkland like here north of York Mills:

View attachment 233569

Why couldn't they put these barriers on the other side of the sidewalk so they can protect the people too?

Same reason here, where the guardrail is located wrong, to protect the car from going into the ravine and not to protect pedestrians.

Man accused of killing two 19-year-old pedestrians in Scarborough impaired driving crash

From link.

tire_tracks___Super_Portrait.jpg

Tire marks could be seen on the long stretch of sidewalk where the police say an impaired driver went over the curb and hit three pedestrians, killing two, Sunday evening. - Andrew Francis Wallace

Toronto police said Johnson was driving a 2014 Mazda east on Progress Avenue at Markham Road at around 6:35 p.m. on Sunday when he went through the intersection and lost control of the car. He then mounted the sidewalk, struck a guardrail and hit three pedestrians who had been walking on the south sidewalk, police said.

Photographs of the crash scene, which showed skid marks on the sidewalk leading up to the right-hand guardrail along Progress Avenue, prompted several people to ask why that barrier was not instead between the road and the pedestrian path.

“It’s completely backward,” said Jessica Spieker, a spokesperson for support and advocacy group Friends and Families for Safe Streets.

“It would make far more sense to use the guardrail to protect vulnerable pedestrians. It’s hard to see why its positioned where it is,” she said, adding that “our hearts are with the devastated families.”

Hmmm. Doug Ford drives a SUV...

Study: Car Sticker Price is a Predictor of Driver Aggression Towards Walkers
The more expensive the car, the less likely the driver is to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. But why?

See link.

The higher the sticker price on the car, the more likely the driver is to threaten a pedestrian’s life.

University of Nevada researchers videotaped pedestrians navigating Las Vegas streets under what might seem like the best possible road conditions for walkers: a sunny day with great visibility, on an open road studded with 35 mile-per-hour speed limit signs and school zone warnings for a nearby elementary school, with the pedestrian crossing in a clearly designated mid-block crosswalk and wearing an easy-to-spot red t-shirt. Then researchers reviewed the tape and made a note of which drivers still failed to yield to foot traffic until the last possible moment — and then they looked up the Kelley Blue Book value on the scofflaw drivers’ cars.

The result? Most drivers didn’t yield at all — and the more expensive the cars got, the more often the driver failed to hit the brakes. For every extra $1,000 on the sticker, the driver was three percent less likely to let pedestrians pass safely.

That observation held true whether the pedestrian was white or black, female or male. Drivers were even less likely to yield for African-American participants — they only did so a shockingly low 25 percent of the time, compared to the 31 percent of drivers who braked for white participants. And they were least likely to yield for African-American men, confirming the findings of previous studies.

The media promptly exploded with news of the study, and safe streets proponents across the country echoed the researchers’ speculation that the spendy-cars-drivers failed to yield because they “felt a sense of superiority over other road users.” But why, exactly, did BMW drivers feel superior to those poor schmucks out walking in 100 degree Vegas heat? Twitter users had one idea: because they’re all rich psychopaths who don’t care about poor people, and pedestrians are usually at least perceived to be poor.

SUV drivers were found to be the most aggressive among drivers of all vehicle types in a 2013 study that was frequently cited in coverage of the rise in SUV-related pedestrian fatalities. Advocates have long speculated that large cars amplify driving aggression because they place drivers so far above the road that they can’t see a pedestrian’s face clearly – and recognizing another person’s emotions on their face is a key ingredient of empathy.

‘But I paid for this road — and pedestrians didn’t!’

But auto-focused road design influences every driver. So why is a guy with a shiny new Audi less likely to yield to walkers than a guy with a late-model Chevy?

One guess: if the drivers of expensive cars are wealthy, they probably think they paid more for that road they’re driving on than the pedestrian in the crosswalk did — and by that logic, Richie Rich might think that freeloading pedestrian in his path is functionally trespassing on the taxpayer’s property.

A 2016 study showed that drivers often overestimate how much of their road network their gas taxes really pay for, and many of them believe drivers pay the full costs of street construction and maintenance. (Spoiler: they really, really don’t!) And if you’ve ever been to a public meeting about lowering neighborhood speed limits, you’ve probably heard a car enthusiast say some version of this: “I’m a taxpayer in this city, and I probably pay more taxes than most of these damn cyclists or pedestrians who’ve never bought a gallon of gas in their life. I paid for my roads — and I deserve to get use them to get where I’m going without being slowed down!

The Vegas study suggests that these attitudes might not just be the single most annoying thing ever. They may also be getting pedestrians killed.

Back