News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The province reeeally fucked up on this one. A suspension bridge over the Elbow Valley would have almost completely negated the destruction of this habitat and the division of its surviving parts. Obviously I understand that a suspension bridge is the more noticeably expensive option, but making the wrong choices for the future of the world ends up being a lot more expensive in the long run... the latter is just not a cheque we have to pay back right away. Regardless, I'd love to see the cost difference compared to what they're actually doing (a ton of ground work, diversion of a river, partially reconstructing devastated wetlands, etc.) and what the estimated cost of a bridge would have been.

I’m not an expert on this, but isn’t the weasel head a man made area? Not matter what the out come of the construction is nature will make another wetlands area from it.
I live on Stoney in the SE and see tonnes of flora and fauna in the ponds in front of my place. Nature does a fantastic job of adapting

I guess you would have to define 'man-made' but essentially no, the Weaselhead is not man-made. No one dug the valley, planted the trees, or introduced the wildlife.

About 10% of the area, along the eastern edge, is a seasonal wetland that is caused by the Glenmore Dam, but the vast majority of the area remains un-impacted. The area's only man-made elements are the regional pathway (2 bridges), a wooden foot bridge, a floating bridge, a storm-trunk outfall, a smaller power line (which is to be removed) and the trail network (some signs, benches, a few culverts, some wood-pole fencing and limited boardwalks).

I tend to agree with UrbanWarrior that a better bridge should have been used, but it doesn't even have to be a suspension bridge. That would be great in many ways, but given that the full plans could see 16 lanes across the Elbow there, I understand why the Province would shy away from that kind of cost. I personally think that a causeway-style raised crossing might have been a reasonable way to handle that crossing. I understand the weaving problems on the north side, and I understand the Nation's desire to curtail trespass from the Weaselhead, so it's clearly not a black-and-white issue, but I think more could have been done there, especially when it comes to constraining a river that wants to meander.

My gut says that if the Board review concluded that the current design is totally acceptable, it would have been released as soon as it was received. KGL wants to get going on the work around those wetlands, and it would be a vindication of Alberta Transportation's plans. The fact that it hasn't come out yet makes me think that the Board is recommending some changes. We'll see, I guess!

I was wondering the same the same thing as golfing guy. If they did build the road way across those wetlands wouldn't they just sort of regenerate in a different way? I'm not advocating for destroying them I just thought that they sort of popped up wherever the water went or wherever it was routed to.

Process taking the normal amount of time isn’t indicative of anything. Near the end of the legislative session and the end of the calendar year there is a lot of work to do that has a more recent ticking clock.

Classic FUD. I’d me dismayed too when they originally weren’t proposing a berm or solid fence. Lots of work in mitigation has been done.

But yeah these people who thought they had mountain views now have 10 years of construction then forever of a freeway behind their houses. I can see their real estate agents telling them ‘sure it is in the plans but it will never be built’.

But yeah these people who thought they had mountain views...

That's what makes this more interesting. YYC Cares is headed by Lakeview residents, including Mr. Brookman, and was formed to protect wetlands in the Elbow river watershed. So the question is, why is Mr. Brookman targeting specific engineers (rather than their employer) on an aspect of the project that impacts neither his own community nor the Elbow valley?

Clearly the company should be following all regulations, and everyone benefits by improved handling of the construction, so I can't fault holding the company to account. Saying that, it feels very personal going after the individual employees, and Mr. Brookman started looking for ways of ensuring the SW Ring Road avoids expensive SW neighbourhoods since at least 2013, so I can't help but feel this isn't just about dust.

Hi Group,
As I Understand Things there Will Also B a New Interchange going In at Richmond Road and Sarcee Trail - Richmond Road goes Over and Sarcee goes under etc, Six Lanes? Most Likely. I will B interested to see how Highway 8 is Intergreated with Glenmore, Sarcee, and the Ring Road/Highway 8. More Room for Commercial & Residential? That Depends on the City I Guess. Will B Interesting to See how Enmax Relocates those 138 KV Power Lines & 69 KV Lines to Make Room for all that Road Work. When a Lot of those things were Blt over 60 or so Years Ago there was nothing there Just Empty Land, West Hills , Discovery Ridge only got Blt in the Late 80s/90s. On the South You have the Wetlands and Indian Reservations. Sounds Like It might B a Time for a Pause and Rethink of What is going Where, How and When.
Just My Opinion Really,

Tnx,
Operater

Hi Group,
As I Understand Things there Will Also B a New Interchange going In at Richmond Road and Sarcee Trail - Richmond Road goes Over and Sarcee goes under etc, Six Lanes? Most Likely. I will B interested to see how Highway 8 is Intergreated with Glenmore, Sarcee, and the Ring Road/Highway 8. More Room for Commercial & Residential? That Depends on the City I Guess. Will B Interesting to See how Enmax Relocates those 138 KV Power Lines & 69 KV Lines to Make Room for all that Road Work. When a Lot of those things were Blt over 60 or so Years Ago there was nothing there Just Empty Land, West Hills , Discovery Ridge only got Blt in the Late 80s/90s. On the South You have the Wetlands and Indian Reservations. Sounds Like It might B a Time for a Pause and Rethink of What is going Where, How and When.
Just My Opinion Really,

Tnx,
Operater

Check these out Operator

Hi All,
These Videos Look Interesting. OK Not Sure How It Will All fit In, Tight Squeeze? Sure Looks Like It, Honestly. Its just that I Covered the West Side a Lot when I Work in Courier Land and After. Saw a Lot that I felt was Badly Planned Out, That Richmond Road/Sarcee Trail Interchange was in the Herald Within the Last Year That Makes for a Tight Squeeze. Sarcee Between Glenmore and
16th Ave is All Due for Upgrades and Interchanges, When? I Honestly Don't Know Yet, Alberta Gvmnt Money Covering It? Not Sure but I Believe a Lot will B Covered by the City Alone, I Used to have a Lot of Contacts at the City so I was able to Pick Up on Information. Being Retired for Health Reasons (Diabetic etc) I don't have that Information but it was Nice to Have.
To B Fair I haven't had a chance to Follow the Ring Road Between Glenmore/Highway 8 and 22X. Guess You Could say Its NEW Territory for Me.

Tnx Group,
Operater

Hi Group,
Some Passing Thoughts, When I Moved to Calgqary About 40 Yrs Ago, Sarcee/Glenmore Tr. was Looked Apon as a Ring Road with all the Traffic Lights between 16th Ave and Mcleod Tr, for Its Time A Lot of Empty Land etc, 14th St was the Go to Route to Anderson Rd. Still Is. Some Things Haven't Changed Other parts have seen Upgrades. Really Its still Evolving in Many Ways, Will B Interesting for Me because It was way Different when I got Here Hope Its OK.

Tnx
Operater

I'm eager to see how fast a Bow Trail/Sarcee Interchange gets talked about once it's the only set of lights left.

Back