News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This from a CTV story about the Alberta budget:

“Over three years, $541 million will be invested for LRT projects, $429.7 million for the Deerfoot Trail expansion, $134.2 million to complete the Calgary Ring Road and $282 million for the Springbank off-stream reservoir project.”

Curious to see what gets done on Deerfoot for $429.7 million.

Thanks for the link.
Do you know if all 6 areas of improvement listed under “Project Details” will be tackled with the $429.7M in funding announced in the budget ?

Thanks for the link.
Do you know if all 6 areas of improvement listed under “Project Details” will be tackled with the $429.7M in funding announced in the budget ?

I know Graham has been chosen to handle the Glenmore section south. Not sure the details as they said it's a joint venture.

Thanks for the link.
Probably depends on the RFP results. The contract has only been awarded for 64 Avenue NE and McKnight Boulevard improvements.

Some holes at the Maple Ridge Golf Course were reconfigured last Fall to make way for rebuild of the Deerfoot-Anderson-Bow Bottom, and Deerfoot-Southland interchages, which is a sign that this project will likely move ahead in the short term. I would hope that the rebuild considers access to the future Quarry Landing redevelopment of the Lafarge Property and takes reasonable steps to push additional footprint away from the river. I'd like to see some simplification of the Sue Higgins side of Southland, such as not building any loops and eliminating the wasteful access to the driving range.

If you ever want a healthy chuckle, read the city's road classifications: https://www.calgary.ca/planning/transportation/road-classification.html

Urban Boulevards form the backbone of higher-density Corridors and Activity Centres. The highest priority is given to walking, cycling, and transit patrons, while high volumes of vehicular traffic are expected.
A current example of an Urban Boulevard is 16 Avenue N.W.

1678500567375.png

Experience the Prioritization of Pedestrians, Cyclists, and Transit Users ™

I wonder if the city would ever consider transit lanes (BRT/LRT/streetcar) on 16th. The justification for widening it to 6 lanes back in 2005 or whenever was traffic passing through Calgary on highway 1. But now we have the ring road serving that purpose.

Another option could be bike lanes and some street parking.

I wonder if the city would ever consider transit lanes (BRT/LRT/streetcar) on 16th. The justification for widening it to 6 lanes back in 2005 or whenever was traffic passing through Calgary on highway 1. But now we have the ring road serving that purpose.

I say all of the above. It's 30m wide just counting the road surface, we should be able to put everything we want in there! I don't live in the north so I'm not 100% sure but 16th doesn't even seem useful as a driver, especially in busier hours. Google maps shows most alternative routes are no more than 0-4 minutes slower

I say all of the above. It's 30m wide just counting the road surface, we should be able to put everything we want in there! I don't live in the north so I'm not 100% sure but 16th doesn't even seem useful as a driver, especially in busier hours. Google maps shows most alternative routes are no more than 0-4 minutes slower
Before it was 6 lanes and before the ring road was built, the road needed more capacity than the 4 lanes it had. Compared to when it was 4 lanes it isn’t congested at all.

I’m not sure transit needs more than more skip lanes at problem intersections. The pedestrian realm, any investment and willingness to use setbacks would be good. As many tress as possible.

Keep reiterating it, but I feel parking during off-peak hours on 16th would be a game changer for that road.

And yes, more trees.
Definitely wouldn't hurt. It's the only way it would ever become a half decent corridor.

I know street parking on corridors isn't everyone's dream, but it would create a much better environment than what's there now. Right now, 16th is the very definition of a car sewer, and its street front/pedestrian ambiance is 1/10 at best. The street parking would provide a buffer for the pedestrians and businesses from the traffic, and might help make it semi-decent in some spots.

The first thing I'd like to see is widening of the sidewalks into the street vs waiting another 50+ years for all of the buildings built close to the road to be replaced.

Back