News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I wish they would raise crossovers to sidewalk level, for an extended space out from it, so there would essentially be speed bumps to slow traffic right down. You could probably get rid of the flashing lights and buttons (so long as the crossing is well lit).

What's I've seen in other places is adding speed bumps right before crossovers. Not Toronto's rolling hills, but actual bumps where you have to almost stop to go over them.

I wish they would raise crossovers to sidewalk level, for an extended space out from it, so there would essentially be speed bumps to slow traffic right down. You could probably get rid of the flashing lights and buttons (so long as the crossing is well lit).

Wouldn't work where there are streetcars, but I think it should be standard everywhere else, at least whenever a street is repaved/reconstructed.

I like that idea as it would also eliminate the slush puddles that accumulate at the corners where pedestrians are supposed to cross the street.

From Streetsblog, at this link:
raisedcrosswalk11.jpg

And from this link:
RaiPed1.jpg

Raised Pedestrian Crossings
One solution to reduce vehicle speeds and enhance the pedestrian crossing environment is to install a raised intersection or a raised pedestrian crossing. A raised intersection is essentially a speed table covering an entire intersection. Construction involves providing ramps on each vehicle approach, which elevates the entire intersection to the level of the sidewalk. The intersections can be built with a variety of materials, including asphalt, concrete, stamped concrete, or pavers. The crosswalks on each approach are on the elevated intersection to enable pedestrians to cross the road at the same level as the sidewalk, eliminating the need for curb ramps. Detectable warning devices should be provided to mark the boundary between the sidewalk and the street.

A raised pedestrian crossing is similar to a raised intersection, but is typically located at a midblock crossing and is only the width of a crosswalk, usually 10 to 15 ft. Raised intersections and crosswalks encourage motorists to yield to pedestrians because the raised crosswalk increases pedestrian visibility and forces motorists to slow down before going over the speed table. On one street in Cambridge, MA, motorists yielding to pedestrians crossing at the raised devices increased from approximately 10 percent before installation of the project to 55 percent after installation.

Ontario should get rid of the all-way stop signs, and replace them with raised intersections flush with the sidewalks and yield signs.

From this link:

Raised intersections create a safe, slow-speed crossing and public space at minor intersections.

Similar to speed humps and other vertical speed control elements, they reinforce slow speeds and encourage motorists to yield to pedestrians at the crosswalk.

raised-intersections-1.jpg

Cambridge_Assagizorg.jpg

Drivers are then forced to slow down.

A large percentage of drivers (including police cars) do not come to a full stop at the all-way stops in residential areas. They also waste fuel. See link.

First of all, the amount of fuel they waste is negligible in the big picture.

Second, there's no real safety difference between a car stopping completely and slowing down to 5 km/h. And I'm not sure how letting cars blow through is going to improve anything.

The only thing I can agree with in the link is that they make rear-end accidents more likely, but those are very uncommon. If anything, there are probably more accidents caused by the lack of traffic control, where cars have to wait to turn left, and often rush to make a quick turn between two cars. There's an urbanist obsession with "shared space" intersections but those make no sense outside of small towns where everybody knows each other and nobody's in a rush to go anywhere.

4-way stops cause huge traffic backlogs on small streets with moderate volume on both roads. This is very common in Toronto where smaller roads are used as bypasses for construction or traffic on main roads. A 4-way would be more efficient as a traffic circle or making only one road the priority and making the other road yield.

Ontario should get rid of the all-way stop signs, and replace them with raised intersections flush with the sidewalks and yield signs.

From this link:

Cambridge_Assagizorg.jpg

I sometimes wonder if anyone in this city knows what a red yield sign is? I have seen drivers come to complete stops with no other drivers or pedestrians around. I've also witnessed drivers blowing through a Yield sign while pedestrians and cyclists were trying to cross!!

I like the idea of raised crossover surfaces but they need to be gradual to permit snow removal. Abrupt speed bumps impair snow removal and can trap ice/water and affect drainage. While fancy road markings might be effective, they are of limited benefit when they are covered in snow.

I get the sense that all-way stop intersections are often used in certain areas of Toronto to control flow (to the point of hopefully discouraging traffic) rather than simply to protect the intersection. All-way stops still have a valid role, especially in rural and small urban settings and many intersections, including those in urban areas, simply have little to no pedestrian traffic to warrant special infrastructure. The prairie provinces leave (or at least used to) many of their rural intersections uncontrolled, but most everybody using them understands the rules and the sightlines are clear. I can't imagine uncontrolled (i.e. unsigned) intersections in Ontario, let alone in built-up areas - it would simply be carnage.

I like the idea of raised crossover surfaces but they need to be gradual to permit snow removal. Abrupt speed bumps impair snow removal and can trap ice/water and affect drainage. While fancy road markings might be effective, they are of limited benefit when they are covered in snow.

I get the sense that all-way stop intersections are often used in certain areas of Toronto to control flow (to the point of hopefully discouraging traffic) rather than simply to protect the intersection. All-way stops still have a valid role, especially in rural and small urban settings and many intersections, including those in urban areas, simply have little to no pedestrian traffic to warrant special infrastructure. The prairie provinces leave (or at least used to) many of their rural intersections uncontrolled, but most everybody using them understands the rules and the sightlines are clear. I can't imagine uncontrolled (i.e. unsigned) intersections in Ontario, let alone in built-up areas - it would simply be carnage.

Used to be that the Driver's Handbook was free (now online at link), which I picked up each time I had to renew my family's license plate sticker. Was able to read through it looking for changes. These days, having to pay out $14.95 for a copy means very few current drivers actually get a chance to re-read the handbook, so don't refresh their driving memories.

Wouldn't work where there are streetcars, but I think it should be standard everywhere else, at least whenever a street is repaved/reconstructed.

This is already implemented in a handful of locations in Toronto, although they haven't been fantastically maintained.

From this link:

Cambridge_Assagizorg.jpg

Here's a radial idea: Get rid of stop and yield signs altogether. Replace them with proceed with caution and yield to pedestrian signs. A similar idea has been implemented in the UK, and seems to be a successful traffic calming method. The status quo (stop signs) means that a driver stops (or pretend to stop) at intersections, checks that no other car is at the intersection, and then blasts through the intersection with impunity now that they have right of way. Removing the stop signs mean that drivers would now have to use extra caution, since no vehicle really has right of way. They'd need to constantly be checking that no other vehicle is coming from any direction that could cause a potential collision. Combine this with raised intersections and narrower curve radii for extra traffic calming.

Here's a radial idea: Get rid of stop and yield signs altogether. Replace them with proceed with caution and yield to pedestrian signs. A similar idea has been implemented in the UK, and seems to be a successful traffic calming method. The status quo (stop signs) means that a driver stops (or pretend to stop) at intersections, checks that no other car is at the intersection, and then blasts through the intersection with impunity now that they have right of way.

I don't see that working in Toronto. It's great for a tiny town like the one in the video where people aren't rushing to go anywhere, but here in Toronto a handful of aggressive drivers would turn it into a disaster if it was used on any main street.

Back