News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes, it's remarkable how one scandal and some questionable behaviour can undo years of public service and doing what's in the best interest of his community. How easily we're swayed by sensationalist spin of one's true motives, that we all jump on the hate band wagon without proper assessment of the full situation. Such is the way of the sheep.

Actually the scandal is irrevelant - the part that isn't is his own hypocracy.

As to public service, I am sure stereotyping various races and cultures and otherwise being grossly offensive counts.

AoD

Of course, if others are downtrodden, it's only because they made the wrong decision and should therefore suffer the consequences accordingly.

AoD

that's ford for you.

all pity aside, he's not fit for public office. not because of recent developments (because we have yet to know all details) but because of his past ignorance on the job. it's amazing he still has his job after all he's said.

P.S, don't confuse my feeling sorry for him as sympathy.

This Spacing Wire comment caught my eye...

Nothing new here. He brandished a pocket knife and threatened to cut me in grade 10 shop class at Scarlett Heights high school in Etobicoke.

One must consider an individual’s moral fibre, of which, his has been missing since the 1980’s.

Comment by Gordon
March 27, 2008 @ 8:01 am

Did you know that it's not unusual for stalkers to claim that they are being stalked?
Ford is a politican all the way and I am not fooled by his calling the police the day prior to threatening and whatever he did to his wife. This is proactive behaviour of the bazarre kind but the courts are well aware of this kind of stuff. It sorta reminds me of when people are sexually assaulted and report it 20 years later because they can't seem to get on with their lives.......if justice is all in the timing it's no wonder so many criminals walk and I will not be surprised one iota when Ford walks....btw thanks for the correction. The wheels of justice are not only slow but they also favour people with cash and those with a "following" in the community.

The man is a clown and a buffoon

That is a perfect summary of the man. He speaks and acts like a jerk and a bully.

But as for the remarks about "Orientals"? Although it sounds like the uneducated language of a bygone era, if you actually read the words they aren't particularly offensive. Ethnic stereotypes are out of vogue, but often true nonetheless. It actually sounds like Ford admires Asians in his own Ford-like way.

That is a perfect summary of the man. He speaks and acts like a jerk and a bully.

But as for the remarks about "Orientals"? Although it sounds like the uneducated language of a bygone era, if you actually read the words they aren't particularly offensive. Ethnic stereotypes are out of vogue, but often true nonetheless. It actually sounds like Ford admires Asians in his own Ford-like way.

I'll quote a post from another forum on this incident, for a different perspective.

As an Asian, I find it questionable to be compared to a dog.

And the context in which he used it had a vague xenophobic feel to it, as in "look, we white guys better shape up because the orientals are going to steal our jobs" vibe to it.

Also, I find it amusing that just about all of his supporters that were interviewed on TV were old and white. Just sayin'.

I donno...I think he should remain in office. He's Toronto's Ralph Klein.

He's GREAT to make fun of... I was so sorry to see Ralph go. I mean, it's people like Ford and Klein that can make politics fun. Or at least humorous ;)

Uh, Klein's more Lastman than Ford IMO.

I'd recommend reading John Barber's column in today's (Apr 1) G&M. While kindly averting from his involvement in the Youtube confrontation, Barber makes a compelling, even sympathetic case for this being a rather sickening form of personal tragedy in the works. (Yes, sympathetic. One can actually feel for the fat fvck in a way one couldn't feel for the likes of Jag Bhaduria.)

I kinda wonder what kind of career or life Rob Ford would have had, had his father not been a one-term Mike Harris MPP...

I kinda wonder what kind of career or life Rob Ford would have had, had his father not been a one-term Mike Harris MPP...

maybe a bus driver with a short fuse?

"One of these days … one of these days Alice … POW, right in the kisser!"

honeymooners1.jpg

Assault charge against councillor withdrawn

Assault charge against councillor withdrawn

May 22, 2008
Dale Anne Freed
staff reporter

Controversial city Councillor Rob Ford walked into an Etobicoke court yesterday charged with assault and uttering a death threat to his wife of eight years.

But less than 10 minutes after his case was heard, Ford, 38, left the courtroom after the charges were withdrawn by the Crown because of inconsistencies in allegations made by Ford's wife, Renata.

Assistant Crown attorney Leanne Townsend told the court she was withdrawing the charges after a "thorough review." She determined "there was no reasonable prospect of conviction," since there were "some serious issues" and inconsistencies with Renata Ford's allegations that raised "credibility issues."

Renata Ford had made two discrepancies in statements after the original allegation, Townsend told the court.

Although Ford's lawyer Dennis Morris had expected a public reconciliation between Ford and his wife, the city councillor left the court with only his lawyer. Renata Ford, who had attended court earlier, left before the brief proceedings due to stomach flu, her husband told reporters later.

Outside court, Ford said, "I'm exonerated. I'm not guilty. I'm just glad this is over.

"I'm glad to be back with my family," he said, adding this wouldn't blunt his aspirations of running for mayor. "It just means move on and take David Miller out of office as soon as possible.

"I'd like to thank my family, my friends, the taxpayers of this city for sticking with me through this whole process." He thanked his lawyer, too.

"Justice has been served today," Ford said.

Looking back on it all, Ford described his domestic legal woes as "terrible. It's humiliating. Your name is spotted through the news in a derogatory way."

The recent charges emerged from a strange version of "he said, she said."

At 10:30 p.m. on March 25, Ford called 911 after walking in the door to "verbal abuse" from Renata, his lawyer said outside court.

Ford told reporters he and his wife had had "an incident" and that his wife's behaviour was "irrational" so he left the marital home to go to his mother's with the couple's two children.

"I had to do what I thought was the right thing to do," Ford said.

His lawyer said police had earlier advised Ford to "take the kids" and leave.

The next morning, his wife called 911 after Ford returned home for a shower and a change of clothing, his lawyer said. By 9:30 a.m., Ford was charged with assault and uttering a death threat after being confronted by his wife.

At the time, police probed an alleged injury to Renata Ford.

Shortly after being charged, Ford was released and told to have no contact with his wife.

But on April 23, consent bail variation was granted and Ford was allowed to be with his wife for the purposes of child rearing and marriage counselling.

The couple has been in counselling since then. "Everything's going great ... whatever it takes," Ford said before he returned to his marital home last night. "I support my wife. My wife supports me."

And if history should repeat itself, would Ford call 911 again? "Depending on the situation. Absolutely. My kids and my family are first and foremost," he said.

Morris said the mandatory charging policy in allegations of domestic assault when 911 is called is "antiquated" and should be changed.

"If you complain of threats or assaultive behaviour in reference to your spouse or partner invariably a charge will be laid against that other person. The police are hamstrung. They have no choice."

Morris added: "There is a silver lining in this case because oft times marital counselling may or should happen. And in this case it has happened.

"Hopefully their marriage will be fruitful, long and happy."

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/428496

Forum Malfunction

There must be trouble with this forum, I haven't seen one of the many many apology messages that were surely transmitted by all those who were in such a frenzy to assassinate Mr Ford's reputation when he was charged.

Perhaps you all should resend your apologies, I am sure Mr Ford will excuse the delay.

Back