News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any other progressive candidate with both her recognition factor and her local ties. I also can't see any other reasonable progressive candidate running against her if she's in the race. I think she'll have that side of the field all to herself, which makes her especially formidable against a split conservative field (and I can't imagine the right not fielding a challenger to Ford if he runs).

What MetroMan mentioned the other day is now sort of news in The Star...

Olivia Chow’s unofficial campaign for Toronto mayor in 2014

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...icial_campaign_for_toronto_mayor_in_2014.html

I've heard from a friend who's a senior staffer to a Liberal cabinet minister that there's signs of Chow starting a campaign team. All the test polls have to be coming from somewhere.

Chow is a city builder. Great fit for Laschinger's campaign. My only worry is that she is a little too left wing.

Chow is a city builder. Great fit for Laschinger's campaign. My only worry is that she is a little too left wing.

Mayor is a different role than that of councillor or MP where she has a narrower demographic to represent and her ward/riding is left leaning. As Mayor she will adjust to represent a more ideologically diverse constituency -- as Miller did.

I think we can be pretty sure that Olivia Chow will run. The left can only struggle to find a more appropriate candidate, and they won't find one. I'd vote for her, even though I am at odds with her on a couple of issues. Basically I'm to the left and I'll take the best candidate I can get, even if I have to tread into 'Dipper' territory.

W.R.T. Tulse's comments above, I agree; it's hard to imagine the right sticking with Ford. The right has to make a big bold gesture, a big statement, so to speak, and distance themselves from him. And I am wondering now if the right will search for a centrist candidate, because that's their best hope after the current debacle.

Oh, and RF? He indeed may run in the next election, and if he does, he will be demoted the the "lone wolf" status that a non-leader deserves.

What MetroMan mentioned the other day is now sort of news in The Star...

Olivia Chow’s unofficial campaign for Toronto mayor in 2014

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...icial_campaign_for_toronto_mayor_in_2014.html

I've heard from a friend who's a senior staffer to a Liberal cabinet minister that there's signs of Chow starting a campaign team. All the test polls have to be coming from somewhere.

Chow is the number one choice for Laschinger and as a living breathing example of Toronto's diversity, she is perfectly suited to the One Toronto campaign that he's crafting. I'm excited that it's looking inevitable that she'll run.

Rob Ford doesn't stand a chance against Olivia Chow because I hear "those oriental people work like dogs*" on campaigns.

*Rob Ford - March 5, 2008

Mayor is a different role than that of councillor or MP where she has a narrower demographic to represent and her ward/riding is left leaning. As Mayor she will adjust to represent a more ideologically diverse constituency -- as Miller did.

Right, but will her reputation as an MP precede her? Because we can only imagine the hack job that the Sun and the rest of the right will do to her.

Right, but will her reputation as an MP precede her? Because we can only imagine the hack job that the Sun and the rest of the right will do to her.

The Sun wouldn't support even a more centrist candidate anyway so there's no point trying to cater to them. They'll be pushing for whoever the Conservative political machine runs.

Chow is the number one choice for Laschinger and as a living breathing example of Toronto's diversity, she is perfectly suited to the One Toronto campaign that he's crafting. I'm excited that it's looking inevitable that she'll run.

Rob Ford doesn't stand a chance against Olivia Chow because I hear "those oriental people work like dogs*" on campaigns.

I know everyone is dying to know my views, particularly AoD so here they are:

In a race between Chow and a former but not current crack user Rob Ford I'd vote Ford.

In a race between Chow and a current crack user Rob Ford I'd vote for the Libertarian candidate.

Give me Tory or his equivalent and I'll not only vote but campaign for him :)

Parez:

Where you can gorge on Berlusconi instead. Not sure if it can be considered an improvement, but hey, he is just as colourful!

AoD

I'm sure MetroMan has some sources within Italian Parliament!

MetroMan,

Thanks for your sleuthing work on the Rob Ford file the past few weeks. However, when it comes to predicting Rob Ford's demise, your track record has been less than stellar ever since RF put his hat in the mayoralty ring in early 2010. I am going to call you out on this one, too.

I don't think Olivia Chow is a certain "lock" on the mayoralty because she is largely preaching to a choir of downtowners who stayed away from Rob Ford in record numbers last time. Even though I am no longer a resident of the City of Toronto, I would vote for Olivia Chow with the same amount of reluctance as I did for George Smitherman - and I consider myself to be more left of centre than the average elector. I think many other people are in the same boat, and I'm just thinking about the downtown vote, let alone the suburbs.

I also wouldn't count on the "Chinese vote". For starters, there aren't enough people of Chinese descent in Toronto to tip the election. This isn't like the Hispanic vote in California or the Desi vote in Brampton. Secondly, Chinese voters aren't suddenly going to vote for Olivia Chow because she is Chinese. Thirdly, and most importantly, Chinese people (I'm one) are pretty disengaged from politics, especially considering that they are generally wealthier and more educated than other ethnic groups. I think this is especially true in municipal politics.

If it's a two-way race between Rob Ford and Olivia Chow, I would actually put my money on Ford winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back