News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that proposal also works, although the petition numbers would have to be a percentage of the city population, rather than a fixed number, since we ideally want something that would function for Ontario cities in general. (That said, if we go by percentage, that works out to about 0.1% of the city population, which means the mechanism could be triggered in small towns by just a handful of signatures.)

Recalls are bad because special interest groups can sway the outcome. If you break the law, there needs to be an expedited process to convict politicians and kick them out of office. If you are just a shitty politician or you break your promises, the only workable remedy is the ballot box.

If you are just a shitty politician or you break your promises, the only workable remedy is the ballot box.
That's not true at the provincial or federal level, since one has the mechanism of non-confidence votes. It seems reasonable to me that if a large supermajority of councillors feel they can no longer work with a mayor, there should be some mechanism to trigger an election.

That's not true at the provincial or federal level, since one has the mechanism of non-confidence votes. It seems reasonable to me that if a large supermajority of councillors feel they can no longer work with a mayor, there should be some mechanism to trigger an election.

In Toronto's case the equivalent would be for the Executive Committee to resign en masse. If the mayor can't field a team then they would be backed into a corner. At that point they'd have no real option but to resign.

Recalls are bad because special interest groups can sway the outcome. If you break the law, there needs to be an expedited process to convict politicians and kick them out of office. If you are just a shitty politician or you break your promises, the only workable remedy is the ballot box.

Lobbies have sway no matter what because they are not as limited to specified election periods. It just like politicians taking sides in a different level of government.

Last edited:
TORONTO, ON - JUNE 24: Doug Ford flies the Pride Flag as Toronto Mayor Rob Ford makes an appearance at the raising of the Rainbow flag to kick off Pride Week festivities on the Podium roof at City Hall.

TORONTO, ON - JUNE 20: TORONTO, ON -JUNE 20 - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford takes in the Argo game in the stands at Varsity Stadium. He was very into the game.

(that's David Price on the Mayor's right)

TORONTO, ON - JUNE 21: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford held a press conference at City Hall Friday afternoon in response to possible provincial funding cuts to the city.

Just having snaked on a small child at the Argos game today, Mayor Rob Ford is seen wiping away the evidence.

You're shitting me. I kissed what?!?

That's a very disturbing image of him wearing a towel around his neck and sopping his sweat up with it. I wonder what will happen first, the recording surfaces or he has a heart attack?

oh man you are just so text-book it's hilarious. in every way, you are, in every imaginable way, THE EXACT definition of:

THE CONTRARIAN TROLL.

Contrarian Trolls frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own. A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing their beliefs in the benefits of gun control. It is important to distinguish between dissenters and actual Contrarian Trolls, however; the Contrarian is not categorized as a troll because of his or her dissenting opinions, but due to the manner in which he or she behaves:

Contrarian Warning Sign Number One: The most important indicator of a poster's Contrarian Troll status is his constant use of subtle and not-so-subtle insults, a technique intended to make people angry. Contrarians will resist the urge to be insulting at first, but as their post count increases, they become more and more abusive of those with whom they disagree. Most often they initiate the insults in the course of what has been a civil, if heated, debate to that point.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Two: Constant references to the forum membership as monolithic. "You guys are all just [descriptor]." "You're a lynch mob." "You all just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you."

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Three: Intellectual dishonesty. This is only a mild indicator that is not limited to trolls, but Contrarians display it to a high degree. They will lie about things they've said, pull posts out of context in a manner that changes their meanings significantly, and generally ignore any points for which they have no ready answers.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Four: Accusing the accusers. When confronted with their trolling, trolls immediately respond that it is the accusers who are trolls (see Natural Predators below). Often the Contrarian will single out his most vocal opponent and claim that while he can respect his other opponents, this one in particular is beneath his notice.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Five: Attempts to condescend. The Contrarian will seek refuge in condescending remarks that repeatedly scorn his or her critics as beneath notice – all the while continuing to respond to them.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Six: One distinctive mark of Contrarian Trolls is that every thread in which they dissent quickly devolves into a debate about who is trolling whom. In the course of such a debate the Contrarian will display many of the other Warning Signs mentioned above.

LOL, "textbook"? Which textbook is this?

I hate to break it to you, and most of the ridiculous posters in here, but YOU are the minority, and YOUR mayoral candidate will NEVER be elected.

You talk about being "narrow minded", "bigots", "trolls".... but that is exactly what you are.

Most of you have the exact same views, or expect everyone to have the exact same views. And you talk about being "narrow minded"? LOL

LOL, "textbook"? Which textbook is this?

I hate to break it to you, and most of the ridiculous posters in here, but YOU are the minority, and YOUR mayoral candidate will NEVER be elected.

You talk about being "narrow minded", "bigots", "trolls".... but that is exactly what you are.

Most of you have the exact same views, or expect everyone to have the exact same views. And you talk about being "narrow minded"? LOL

You beautifully nailed the execution! Congratulations!!!

tumblr_ma8oooa2Zr1qhccpao1_400.jpg

I'm drawing a blank and I won't feel better unless I can remember what's that image from again.

Alternatively, what legal mechanism would you propose that would be applicable in other cases but that would meet the severity criteria you have?

Council should have the option to pass a motion of no confidence thereby dissolving itself and calling for a new election. This will act as a check on councilors who would have to justify their position to the voting public. I doubt it would ever be pursued unless the situation was extreme, especially if there was a very specific motion council would have to pass (i.e. unlike the provincial or federal governments, budget votes &c. would not be confidence votes - an effort to accommodate the lack of official voting blocs on council).

Or we could just abolish council and replace it with a municipal parliament where the mayor is the councilor who can command a majority in the house. This wouldn't necessarily require political parties, as Nunavut and NWT seem to do fine without them. I don't particularly like a mayor who isn't elected city-wide though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back