News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my impression that there's more than the video at hand here. Even if that never finds the light of day there are lots of other potential goodies that could link the Fords to the drug gangs. Are you saying that none of the evidence currently under wraps can be manipulated or "lost" by the TPS over the next 6 months? I'll happily defer to any knowledge you have of our wonderfully transparent law enforcement/legal system.

There could be more - but I don't think anything (except for hard evidence of Ford actually breaking some serious laws) would sway any portion of Ford Nation. I do think the visceral impact of seeing the video will sway some portion of Ford Nation.

Anything could happen in 6 months I suppose - but I think any evidence tampering could just as easily have happened already. Furthermore, I think it unlikely any cop would stick their neck out by breaking the law, just to cover up for Rob Ford.

The Mayor only has one vote. He is not like a Premier who can do whatever he/she wants provided they have a majority. As the scorecard from Graphic Matt shows there are 18 left-wing Councillors who vote against Ford on almost every issue and they do it out of spite. It doesn't matter how worthy the issue - if Ford is for it they have to be against it. A good example was the vote to allow further study into the proposal to permit whisper-Jets to fly onto the Island. These 18 left-wing Councillor's voted against the motion despite the fact that support for the whisper-Jets is highest in the downtown wards that they represent and thousands of local jobs are at stake.

As long as these 18 obstructionists are on Council nothing worthwhile is going to get done at city hall.

If you think it's out of spite, I suggest you check the voting records from early on in his term. There's lots of evidence of most of the left's willingness to compromise on issues. Rob Ford pissed that all away completely.

Besides, 18 votes down still leaves a majority of votes available to him, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

Last edited:
The Mayor only has one vote. He is not like a Premier who can do whatever he/she wants provided they have a majority. As the scorecard from Graphic Matt shows there are 18 left-wing Councillors who vote against Ford on almost every issue and they do it out of spite. It doesn't matter how worthy the issue - if Ford is for it they have to be against it. A good example was the vote to allow further study into the proposal to permit whisper-Jets to fly onto the Island. These 18 left-wing Councillor's voted against the motion despite the fact that support for the whisper-Jets is highest in the downtown wards that they represent and thousands of local jobs are at stake.

As long as these 18 obstructionists are on Council nothing worthwhile is going to get done at city hall.

18 out of a 45 votes? There are votes at council where Rob Ford is the lone wolf vote, with everyone else on the other side. See this link from 2012.

Mayor Rob Ford has continued his annual tradition of voting against every one of the city’s community development grants programs.

The six programs would have sailed through council unanimously on Friday, without a vote, had Ford not placed a “hold†on the items in order to vote against them. He lost the votes 34-1, 34-1, 33-1, 34-1, 35-1, and 35-1.

Ford did not speak before the votes, and he would not answer a question on the subject from a Star reporter in a media scrum.

Ford was also silent when he voted in June against accepting federal money for a gang prevention project that would not have cost the city anything. He lost that vote 33-1.

Last edited:
If you think it's out of spite, I suggest you check the voting records from early on in his term. There's lots of evidence of most of the left's willingness to compromise on issues. Rob Ford pissed that all away completely.

Besides, 18 votes down still leaves a majority of votes available to him, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

There is evidence that Ford had more success early in his term swaying those in the mushy middle but not the hard-core group of obstructionists on the left. True the 18 represent a minority of votes but unfortunately for Ford Councillor's who are normally aligned with him have abysmal attendance records, e.g. Thompson , Minan-Wong and Moser seem to be absent most of the time.

Last edited:
As the scorecard from Graphic Matt shows there are 18 left-wing Councillors who vote against Ford on almost every issue and they do it out of spite. It doesn't matter how worthy the issue - if Ford is for it they have to be against it.

They're voting according to the wishes of their constituents, the majority of whom did not vote for Rob Ford and his agenda. Did you not see the 2010 voting results map?

http://torontoist.com/2010/10/which_wards_voted_for_who_for_mayor/

They're not voting out of spite, they're doing what they were elected to do: represent their ward.

The Mayor only has one vote.
The mayor also had, when elected, a majority of councillors in his camp. The fact that he has lost those councillors (or that, as you note, they don't show up for votes), speaks directly to the question of the mayor's "leadership", which was the issue under discussion.

One can't claim that someone is a great leader and then complain when people don't follow...

They're staying sealed. Just opened for the lawyers to prepare arguments for their release.
This could still drag out past next fall.

They are being un-sealed. On August 27th. media Lawyers will be giving a redacted version. On September 12th. they return to court and a judge will decide what redacted information should remain redacted before releasing to the public.

Sometime after September 12th the public will see the warrants although they may be heavily redacted and therefore not of much value. For example if Ford is named in the documents his name will be redacted since he has not been charged with anything.

I suspect that anyone who calls those 18 councillors "obstructionists" doesn't really get how municipal politics work.

Outside of plastic bag manufacturers, the answer would be somewhat muted. Ford has really done very little to improve the city's competitiveness. What initiatives has he taken to reduce bureaucracy and increase transparency and efficiency in government?

This is somewhat off topic, but reducing bureaucracy and increasing transparency can be two opposing goals. Increasing transparency can actually lead to more bureaucracy, not less. It means more paperwork, printing more emails, creating more entries into databases, creating extra paper trails, and generally increasing people's workloads. On the other hand, reducing bureaucracy can have the effect of making things less transparent, because by streamlining processes you end up taking away checks and balances. It's a tricky balance between streamlining and accountability.

There is evidence that Ford had more success early in his term swaying those in the mushy middle but not the hard-core group of obstructionists on the left. True the 18 represent a minority of votes but unfortunately for Ford Councillor's who are normally aligned with him have abysmal attendance records, e.g. Thompson , Minan-Wong and Moser seem to be absent most of the time.

If the mayor can't even get his hard core support to show up to vote, isn't that pretty much a massive failure of leadership? Talk about a lack of competence.....

i appreciate your attempt at reaching across ye olde partisan divide, but you've managed to word your effort poorly. i HONESTLY think there isn't an equal amount of baseless blind hatred of the mayor as there is adoration. sincerely. i think a lot of people who are very very frustrated by the mayor and his policies have chosen rather trite and cliched ways of expressing it - hyperbolic declarations against the man, instead of his policies, as it seems that knocking his policy planks have little to no effect on either his praxis nor his support - but i am not convinced that there is a well of unreasoned hate that equals (qualitatively or quantitatively) the faith of his supporters. i reject your assertion, that simply because i do not think as you do, that i am just as blind as the people i lambaste. i make an effort to not only vary my news sources (although really, don peat is not a conservative, i swear to god he just writes for them) but to also get as much of a sense of the tenor of ford nation by reading the comments. the conservative reader who makes a good, fair, and accurate comment about a story supporting the mayor is a rare one. most fling talking points like so much monkey poo. the mayor's detractors, while not immune to the seduction of partisan bs, are less vitriolic and far more compassionate.

i chalk it up to a difference in values. we're never going to agree because you lot think you're making a concession to understanding our* pov when you are actually doing no such thing. your post illustrates this well, i think.

More compassionate? Ignoring the unprecedented amount of humiliating harassment, cruel jokes (how many times have the ) and malicious attacks on the man, I can't even count how many times I've seen people wish death on him or for him to get a heart attack. In fact, on this very forum, several people have wished for his death. We're talking about municipal politics - this unbridled hatred is pretty unprecedented on this political level.

I'm not saying that anybody who is a Ford detractor is necessairly uninformed or blind - what I'm saying is that if somebody really doesn't see equal amounts of stupidity on both sides, they're probably blinded by bias. Almost every issue has idiots on both side, as well as intelligent reasonable people, and if you can't see that, then it probably means you're too partisan to see straight.

Let's revisit Rob's actual words:

"Why are we catering to one group with a disease that's preventable? It's very preventable. If you're not doing needles and you're not gay, you won't get AIDS probably. And I don't know why we're spending $1.5-million on this."

It would have been statistically true - but not supportive of Rob's agenda - to state that, if you don't engage in high-risk behaviours, you probably won't get AIDS. And educating people so that they can reduce their risk of infection is the entire purpose of a preventive educational program, which is what we were spending $1.5M on. At least his second sentence demonstrates some understanding that the disease is preventable (but only if the right efforts are in place).

Rob's statements, however, are both inaccurate and ignorant. There is not "one group" of people who get HIV. And simply being gay does not put you at high risk for HIV. Unprotected sex - homosexual or heterosexual - is the key risk factor. And far too many heterosexuals are getting HIV for Rob to simply dismiss it as a "gay" disease or a "drug user's" disease. Labeling a disease in that way only serves to stigmatize those with the disease, and that's why his comments are homophobic.

His statements aren't inaccurate, and I posted the statistics on here a few weeks back. Homosexuals and drug users make up the majority of HIV infections. Obviously anybody can get it, but he was completely correct to state that chances are that you probably won't get HIV if you aren't in one of those two groups.

Wasn't this statement made in response for his voting against accepting provincial funding for HIV treatment and prevention? That's what I seem to recall anyway. If my memory is correct, then it's not the statement itself that proves his homophobia, its that he thinks its ok to turn down treatment programs simply because the people affected are gay or drug addicts. If that weren't enough, his opposition to gay marriage in itself is enough to label him a prejudiced homophobe.

I believe the statement was in regards to a promotional campaign for HIV awareness, which is a bit different than explicit HIV treatment.

That being said, I agree with you that the implications of what he said are worth considering. There definitely is a case to be made that the implications of what he said were homophobic.

The problem is, most of the people who label him homophobic use that statement completely out of its context, implying that simply saying that gay people are more likely to get HIV is homophobic, when its actually true. He didn't say anything untrue.

Now, as to whether the implications were homophobic, I don't think they were. Ford is against most spending for social initiatives - I think his comments here were more to the effect that a promotional campaign is unneeded because HIV isn't a widespread problem. I don't think he was implying that gay people deserve HIV, as that would also necessitate he was implying drug users deserve HIV and we know that he, along with several family members, have a history of drug abuse.

You seem to be ignoring his comments about "traditional marriage" and his endorsement of the views of renowned bigot Wendell Brereton.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us with your previous board name?

I don't think being for traditional marriage makes someone a homophobe. I think there needs to be a higher threshold for labeling someone "homophobic." I'm completely in favor of gay marriage. That being said, there are a lot of older people who grew up with the concept of marriage being between a "man and a woman". It's only in the last 10-15 years that there has really been a shift in public opinion on gay marriage.

I think that you could definitely make the claim that for youth who support "traditional marriage," there may be some homophobia at play, but its not that outside the norm for older generations. Many people have changed their minds in the last decade and we have no clue where Ford even stands on this issue today.

And the fact that he is the first mayor in nearly 20 years to not march in the Pride Parade.

Pride isn't synonymous with gay people. Heck, there are even gay people who dislike the Pride Parade. Just because someone doesn't want to march in the parade, doesn't mean they hate gays.

More compassionate? Ignoring the unprecedented amount of humiliating harassment, cruel jokes (how many times have the ) and malicious attacks on the man, I can't even count how many times I've seen people wish death on him or for him to get a heart attack. In fact, on this very forum, several people have wished for his death. We're talking about municipal politics - this unbridled hatred is pretty unprecedented on this political level.

I'm not saying that anybody who is a Ford detractor is necessairly uninformed or blind - what I'm saying is that if somebody really doesn't see equal amounts of stupidity on both sides, they're probably blinded by bias. Almost every issue has idiots on both side, as well as intelligent reasonable people, and if you can't see that, then it probably means you're too partisan to see straight.

So, again, let's go back to how you frame your argument - unless I agree with you, I'm blinded by bias. I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back