News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford also suggested funding cuts to other programs too. Not just Pride. He's skipped other events like Canada Day celebrations which are far more important than events like Pride. But the Ford haters intentionally focus only on the gay propaganda they insist exists. The Ford haters are looking for anything to justify their contempt for the man.

REALLY? In what way is a Canada Day celebration in Toronto more IMPORTANT than Pride? Please justify that comment.

What's interesting is that someone like nfitz has used some nasty, very unkind words to describe others he disagrees with, yet it never gets challenged nor told to stop. I post and the knives comes out.

feeling abit like an oppressed minority now do we ?!?!?

If Ford wants to cancel all funding for Pride, fine, do it. If Pride goes bankrupt and cancels the parade, gays (and gay supporters) should go anyway and parade down Yonge Street on our own. I say, take over the street and parade all the way down Yonge Street and then right on to The Gardiner. Imagine 200,000+ pissed off queens & leathermen, walking along The Gardiner. (that might be fun! lol) There isn't a damned thing the police could do about it. We don't have enough police or jail cells to hold a crowd that big. It certainly would send out a message to Ford. Keep your money but we will still have our Parade, one way or another, but this time it will have a whole new meaning.

new meaning or revert back to the primary reason for pride march in the first place ?!?

RFs polarizing the issue just re-invigorated some members of the gay community and may have sparked some who didn't care much before in some gays and the population in general.

The only thing I'll add that I think is kind of ironic is that the LGBT community that already hated Rob Ford before he announced he wasn't going to attend, was even madder when he wouldn't come to their party. Which raises the rather obvious question... why are you upset that someone you hate isn't coming to your event? Did they just want him there so they could boo him?

Anyway, I think he should have attended because he's the mayor and that's what mayors are supposed to do. But I find it funny that the LGBT community was so upset that someone they don't like wasn't coming to their parade.

Some may have not wanted Rob Ford -- the man -- at the parade, but they certainly wanted the Mayor of Toronto at the parade. That's an important distinction. The office means something.

The only thing I'll add that I think is kind of ironic is that the LGBT community that already hated Rob Ford before he announced he wasn't going to attend, was even madder when he wouldn't come to their party. Which raises the rather obvious question... why are you upset that someone you hate isn't coming to your event? Did they just want him there so they could boo him?

Anyway, I think he should have attended because he's the mayor and that's what mayors are supposed to do. But I find it funny that the LGBT community was so upset that someone they don't like wasn't coming to their parade.

i believe you answered your own question ...
he's the mayor and that's part of his duties.

there were 10 days of events.
if he had attended ANY of them, or done the proclamation himself instead of having Frances N do it, I don't think many would have cared if he went to the Parade on the last day ... I sure wouldn't have.

but his deliberate absence from ALL events throughout 10 days is disturbing to say the least.

i believe you answered your own question ...
he's the mayor and that's part of his duties.

if he had attended ANY of them, or done the proclamation himself instead of having Frances N do it, I don't think many would have cared if he went to the Parade on the last day ... I sure wouldn't have.

but his deliberate absence from ALL events throughout 10 days is disturbing to say the least.

I agree. I feel that people are putting too much emphasis on him not showing up for the parade and it's overshadowing the fact that he didn't endorse or acknowledge the entirety of Pride in any way.

And I think that he should have shown his face during Canada Day as well instead of hoofing it up to the cottage.

Last edited:
if he had attended ANY of them, or done the proclamation himself instead of having Frances N do it, I don't think many would have cared if he went to the Parade on the last day

Exactly. The Parade was important simply because it was his last chance to redeem himself. If he had done the proclamation (the one that he signed), and then said "Unfortunately I won't be around for the parade due to family commitments, but I hope everyone has a great time", this wouldn't have become an issue.

Exactly. The Parade was important simply because it was his last chance to redeem himself. If he had done the proclamation (the one that he signed), and then said "Unfortunately I won't be around for the parade due to family commitments, but I hope everyone has a great time", this wouldn't have become an issue.

precisely!

much of the resentment was his own doing for not attending even 1 simple event, like the proclamation, which was a few steps outside of City Hall.

over the past 2 weeks, there has been much hatred and intolerance against LGBT in various media forums to the point of being vile and violence against people !

IMO, the least RF should do is make a statement saying that although he didn't attend Pride, he does not condone prejudice and violence against the LGBT community.

Rob Ford represented me and my community and other communties by not going to pride. Muslim, Christian, Jewish and hindu community. If he attended we would have called him a hypocrite and a liar.

Rob Ford represented me and my community and other communties by not going to pride. Muslim, Christian, Jewish and hindu community. If he attended we would have called him a hypocrite and a liar.
But you're OK with him personally signing an official proclamation? Isn't that him being hypocritical and a liar as well? Doesn't not showing up to Pride events after issuing an official proclamation just make him a coward?

I am a practicing Christian, and Rob Ford did not represent me or my parish, which celebrated Pride and has an active LGBT group as part of the parish community.

I know people in every one of those communities that you mentioned, both gay and straight, who would tell you that you're talking shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back