News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often is your street swept or washed, where do you live?
Street sweeper passes every week or two ... can't recall ever seeing it washed. Seldom see the sweeper, even when I'm around in the daytime ... but you can see from the marks on the road when it's passed.

Here in my part of town (former North York) they are rare enough that people stop and stare as they would at a parade. If they only service a street once or twice a year as it seems why bother at all?

The street I live on rarely gets dirty, so I never see them. Makes sense.

Downtown, I see them occasionally (but not enough, in my opinion). The streets are dirtier with the greater amount of traffic passing through them, so they're cleaned more often. Makes sense.

So Mayor Ford votes against community grant programs, likely in a bid for austerity, fair enough. What is incredible is that he lost these votes 43-1 as the lone desenter.

That same article in the Toronto Star states, "Ford lost 43-1 in votes on four of the programs, 42-2 on the fifth, and 41-3 on the sixth." I am happy that the rest of the Ford supporters made the right call

Last edited:
Somewhere, citizens are quietly crying and thinking "why didn't Miller run for a third term?".

no, more like Somewhere, citizens are quietly crying and thinking "we had it so much better with Miller and didn't realize it. now we'll have 4 years of hell and hope we don't turn into Detroit in the meantime."

Street sweeping is done nightly, along Wellesley St. and Jarvis St. Then there are the dudes in those tiny vacuum vehicles that drive along the sidewalks and suck up garbage, I see them infrequently so I don't know how often they come by.

That same article in the Toronto Star states, "Ford lost 43-1 in votes on four of the programs, 42-2 on the fifth, and 41-3 on the sixth." I am happy that the rest of the Ford supporters made the right call

Wait a minute - his brother Dougie, didn't even support him on votes for 4 of the 6 programs????

no, more like Somewhere, citizens are quietly crying and thinking "we had it so much better with Miller and didn't realize it. now we'll have 4 years of hell and hope we don't turn into Detroit in the meantime."
Not me. Had Miller run and won, I'd still be paying his motor vehicle registration tax, my property taxes would have likely increased and you can forget about outsourcing garbage pick-up.

On the other hand, would Miller have given the TPS their largest increase in history? I'm not sure.

Not me. Had Miller run and won, I'd still be paying his motor vehicle registration tax, my property taxes would have likely increased and you can forget about outsourcing garbage pick-up.
I wish I was still paying motor vehicle registration taxes and my taxes went up.

First of all, how can anyone be so self-centred to whine about a $60 vehicle permit. Surely any vehicle uses $60 of city services ranging from snow plowing, road maintenance, traffic lights, in a year.

Secondly, our taxes are already cheaper than most GTA municipalities. Do we really want to eliminate services to save a few $ on tax? Do we want to turn the city into the kind of downtown urban hellholes you see in the USA

On the other hand, would Miller have given the TPS their largest increase in history? I'm not sure.
Very good question. It's unfortunate we didn't have a mayor like Miller who had the backbone to fight the unions, rather than one like Ford, who caves. He's also avoided fighting the TTC, as the new legislation he's asked for, forces everything to arbitration. That's a huge victory for the union, if they want to maintain current benefits.

I wish I was still paying motor vehicle registration taxes and my taxes went up.

First of all, how can anyone be so self-centred to whine about a $60 vehicle permit. Surely any vehicle uses $60 of city services ranging from snow plowing, road maintenance, traffic lights, in a year.

Secondly, our taxes are already cheaper than most GTA municipalities. Do we really want to eliminate services to save a few $ on tax? Do we want to turn the city into the kind of downtown urban hellholes you see in the USA

+ 1

AB, i bet you spend more than $5/day on coffee vs. th $5/m for vehicle registration.

TO res. property taxes have the lowest mill rate of the GTA (and possibly the entire province).
i believe you've mentioned that you live in Cabbagetown, and chances are you're not even close to paying the full taxes on the mill rate because many older residential properties within old Toronto are paying substantially less than new builds.

TO commercial taxes are subsidizing res. taxes as it currently stands.

Everyone's property taxes are going to go up in a year. Either that or we're going to have $700 million in service cuts. (While somehow keeping %96 of the $9.2 billion budget that is uncuttable.) And the family business can't bail Ford out on this one.

Rob: Hey, Doug, do we still have that little cash box lying around somewhere?
Doug: Uh-huh.
Rob: Do you know how much is in there?
Doug: About 50 dollars.
Rob: Is 50 dollars less than 700 million million dollars?
Doug. Yup.
Rob: D'0h.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back