News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does a municipality pay for seniors homes and daycare for goodness sake? Surely that's the responsibility of higher levels of government. The City should give an ultimatum to the province that as of Jan 1st they will no longer be paying for homeless shelters

Well YOU don't get to decide what the city spends money on. The entire electorate gets to decide. There are obviously enough people who rely on these services, and others who feel responsible for providing them, that they retain significant political support. That's why Ford wouldn't dare discuss cutting daycare, seniors' homes, or homeless shelters during the election. If we are going to have these services, then we need to pay for them, which is why "starve the beast" is so utterly irresponsible. Anyone who wants to cut these services should campaign on cutting them and see how far they get.

As far as daycares go, Toronto Children's Services is actually considered to be one of the most effectively run public services around, so I don't know why we'd want to mess with it by handing it over to another government to run.

Well YOU don't get to decide what the city spends money on. The entire electorate gets to decide. There are obviously enough people who rely on these services, and others who feel responsible for providing them, that they retain significant political support.
It's not the city's responsibility.
These services should remain and should be provided by the provincial government everywhere in the province.
If not, then what's the point of having a provincial government?

Jarvis bikes lanes = DEAD

Cheers to those Rosdalians who can now get to work faster.

Bicyclists—just use the entire traffic lane. If they will not give the bicyclists a traffic lane for bicycles, then use the lane as legally allowed. Just ride in the middle or left, to avoid the sewer grates, potholes, glass, nails, screws, bottles, cans, puddles, windrows, and other debris. I will be.

Last edited:
There's a report that Mammoliti was giving thumbs-up/thumbs-down when amendments re: the Bicycle Network, item PW5.1 were being voted on for the Fordites to follow. I recorded the morning session & just finished watching it however the voting ran past noon, and I only recorded from 9:30am - noon so I'm curious if there are any media reports of this alleged activity. There are twitter reports that security had to get Metro Police in after the vote to clear Council Chamber and several Councillors left the building in protest. News at 6.....

There's a report that Mammoliti was giving thumbs-up/thumbs-down when amendments ...
Why wouldn't he have been? He's been doing it all year.

Has anyone enquired of the Ministry of the Environment if a Class EA is necessary for reducing lane widths and adding a reversible lane on Jarvis?

One thing to note ... not sure how it slipped by ... they also passed a vote that the Jarvis bike lane will NOT be removed until the Sherborne separated lane is complete.
That's pretty interesting as this means this whole thing will be delayed for at least 1 year ...

Bicyclists—just use the entire traffic lane. If they will not give the bicyclists a traffic lane for bicycles, then use the lane as legally allowed. Just ride in the middle or left, to avoid the sewer grates, potholes, glass, nails, screws, bottles, cans, puddles, windrows, and other debris. I will be.

All of this stuff is to be found within 2 feet of the curb now and you willingly ride through it without complaint as long as no cars are allowed to share the lane but if cars are sharing the space the debris you describe will instantly become a hazard?

All of this stuff is to be found within 2 feet of the curb now and you willingly ride through it without complaint as long as no cars are allowed to share the lane but if cars are sharing the space the debris you describe will instantly become a hazard?
Seems like the perfect peaceful and legal process. Kind of like a work to rule.

Sure beats getting arrested for chasing buses with cameras ...

Live on Citytv, people are protesting the cuts outside City Hall. Good on them.

This is going to be a common sight at city hall. As the months/years go on, more and more people will get fed up with the way this buffoon is running the city.:mad:

One thing to note ... not sure how it slipped by ... they also passed a vote that the Jarvis bike lane will NOT be removed until the Sherborne separated lane is complete.
That's pretty interesting as this means this whole thing will be delayed for at least 1 year ...

Not exactly. If I followed this correctly - I've watched every minute of this process for two days now - Minnan-Wong added a rather vague amendment (one that confused many Councillors) to amend one of Wong-Tam's amendments (his was approved by the way, her three related amendments re: Jarvis bike lanes all failed) and he was questioned for about 45 minutes over the purpose and true nature of his amendment but would offer no clear, straight answer on it. The thrust of it was he wanted the 5th lane infrastructure (reversible lighting mainly) installed as soon as possible even though the Jarvis lanes won't be removed until "sometime" in 2012 when the Sherbourne lanes are complete. Sherbourne is being resurfaced from top to bottom next year and the concern is what if there are unexpected delays (see St. Clair, Bloor Street, Runnymede etc. - though to be fair Sherbourne involves very few streetcar tracks nor beautification), will the Jarvis lanes still be there if the Sherbourne Street rehabilitation runs into delays or if funding for the rehabilitation is axed? He would not guarantee that the Jarvis lanes would remain if Sherbourne bike lanes are unavailable due to construction delays or if funding for the project is cut. As every downtown cyclist knows, Sherbourne is in such bad shape it's not safe to cycle on and I make that comment after I nearly went down several times the last time I dared use it in 2009.

Edit: I meant "Roncesvalles", not "Runnymede" (above)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back