News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a common sight at city hall. As the months/years go on, more and more people will get fed up with the way this buffoon is running the city.:mad:

Cross one's fingers

Mussolini%20Clara%20Hanging%20by%20Ankles_jpg.jpg

Why wouldn't he have been? He's been doing it all year.

And it's OK to give a thumbs-up/thumbs-down to advise others how to vote? Seems kinda' wrong to me.

Has anyone enquired of the Ministry of the Environment if a Class EA is necessary for reducing lane widths and adding a reversible lane on Jarvis?

Curbs aren't moving, no EA is required.

This is going to be a common sight at city hall. As the months/years go on, more and more people will get fed up with the way this buffoon is running the city.:mad:

Now that cutting child care centres is on the table watch his approvals plummet as bread and butter issues like this begin to affect families right across the city. A year from now I guarantee his approval ratings will only slightly rise above bedbugs and most of his right-wing vermin will have long abandoned ship and begun to think and vote for issues by actually thinking them through using their noggin and consulting with their constituents, Neighbourhood Associations and BIA's. No more watching for a "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" from the one who sits next to His Worship.

Yes, it was a rather sneaky bit of political gamesmanship from Minnan-Wong. I've got some thoughts here: http://fordfortoronto.mattelliott.ca/2011/07/13/the-jarvis-vote-what-the-hell-happened/.

A fairly sad for cyclists in Toronto, but a much much sadder day for those who believe in the ongoing revitalization of the downtown east-side and rightly saw the Jarvis Street highway as a significant barrier to improvement.

meh I don't really agree ... though removing one lane made it a little less hi-way like for the most part it still is ... the only hope for that was the revitalization plan for Jarvis ... which was canceled during Miller's years ... all that came out of was the bike lane.

Not exactly. If I followed this correctly - I've watched every minute of this process for two days now - Minnan-Wong added a rather vague amendment (one that confused many Councillors) to amend one of Wong-Tam's amendments (his was approved by the way, her three related amendments re: Jarvis bike lanes all failed) and he was questioned for about 45 minutes over the purpose and true nature of his amendment but would offer no clear, straight answer on it. The thrust of it was he wanted the 5th lane infrastructure (reversible lighting mainly) installed as soon as possible even though the Jarvis lanes won't be removed until "sometime" in 2012 when the Sherbourne lanes are complete. Sherbourne is being resurfaced from top to bottom next year and the concern is what if there are unexpected delays (see St. Clair, Bloor Street, Runnymede etc. - though to be fair Sherbourne involves very few streetcar tracks nor beautification), will the Jarvis lanes still be there if the Sherbourne Street rehabilitation runs into delays or if funding for the rehabilitation is axed? He would not guarantee that the Jarvis lanes would remain if Sherbourne bike lanes are unavailable due to construction delays or if funding for the project is cut. As every downtown cyclist knows, Sherbourne is in such bad shape it's not safe to cycle on and I make that comment after I nearly went down several times the last time I dared use it in 2009.

Ah thanks for that ! Yea I was following it through the star's site.

BTW - I actually find the south part of Sherbourne much more interesting then Jarvis i.e. it's a lot more built up today with many interesting low rise condos that have went up in the last 10 years or so ! Things change north of King / Queen though - in the sense that there isn't new development.

meh I don't really agree ... though removing one lane made it a little less hi-way like for the most part it still is ... the only hope for that was the revitalization plan for Jarvis ... which was canceled during Miller's years ... all that came out of was the bike lane.

Is there any way that the original EA be resurrected? I mean, there's a considerable amount of time for decisions to be made between now and the opening of the the Sherbourne bike lanes; though that is contingent on Minnan-Wong keeping his word (likely not).

Kristyn Wong-Tam had plans in the works to continue to improve the Jarvis streetscape, working with Section 37 dollars and with the support of Rogers and other businesses/residents. That's all basically dead now that the reversible fifth lane is coming back.

Quote from Rob Ford:
On Jarvis Street the community doesn't want it. They spent 6 million dollars on removing one lane to accommodate bike lanes. I'm sorry we can't have that. I don't object to bike lanes if the community wants them, but on Jarvis the community didn't want it.

Have they bothered to ask the people of this community if they want the bike lanes? I know he says they don't, but their Councillor seems to think they do...

Quote from Rob Ford:

Have they bothered to ask the people of this community if they want the bike lanes? I know he says they don't, but their Councillor seems to think they do...

i'm inclined to think the immediate community around Jarvis wants the bike lanes, while the people who use Jarvis street as a through-fare to Rosedale, Deer Park, Moore Park, Chaplin Estates, Forest Hill, Lawrence Park, Bedford Park and surrounding burbs didn't care for the "inconvenience" of 1 less lane for driving.

Argg and we're back to talking about the 6 million dollar figure ...

Quote from Rob Ford:

On Jarvis Street the community doesn't want it. They spent 6 million dollars on removing one lane to accommodate bike lanes. I'm sorry we can't have that. I don't object to bike lanes if the community wants them, but on Jarvis the community didn't want it.

No, you see this was what made this more than just an issue about bike lanes. This whole thing was a secretive, 11th hour, four person committee creation that Ford ordered his minions to dream up without even telling the Ward's Councillor (Kristyn Wong-Tam) that it was being hatched. She had no opportunity to formally consult with neighbourhood groups, BIA's or Councillor Pam McConnell, whose Ward begins south of Queen, and east of Sherbourne. Is it any wonder that these were two of the Councillors who walked out of the Chamber in protest after the vote? Since Wong-Tam came into office she has attended and initiated dozens of meetings with community groups, BIA's, business owners along the street etc. over what to do with Jarvis Street to help bring east downtown into the arms of the greater downtown area.

Further, to prove His Worships ignorance and his love of inaccurate rhetoric, $6M was not spent on Jarvis Street, it was $60 or $70K to take down the centre lane lights, re-align the street and paint the lines from Charles to Queen Sts. Six million was the cost identified to go with the Jarvis Street Revitalization Plan which was to identify Jarvis Street as a historic cultural corridor, reduce the street to four lanes, beautify the streetscape (planter boxes, more trees etc.), widen the sidewalks to create a safer and more pleasant pedestrian experience, create a grand entrance into Allan Gardens off Jarvis (one of the city's oldest parks), reconfigure Charles and Jarvis Sts. for improved pedestrian crossings and probably a couple other things I'm missing.

So.
Can this be re-opened, given as any physical changes to the street are a year away? Especially if Ford's popularity is slouching toward the gutter at that point?

I would like to see the street left as it is. But could it also be re-opened on the basis of the extensive beautification study?

On a side note:
Spain offers lifetime free transit passes for citizens who give up their cars:
http://inhabitat.com/spanish-city-offers-lifetime-tram-passes-in-exchange-for-cars/

Last edited:
So.
Can this not be re-voted on, given as any physical changes to the street are a year away? Especially if Ford's popularity is slouching toward the gutter at that point?

I would like to see the street left as it is. But if it could be re-opened, could it be done on the basis of the extensive beautification study?

On a side note:
Spain offers lifetime free transit passes for citizens who give up their cars:
http://inhabitat.com/spanish-city-offers-lifetime-tram-passes-in-exchange-for-cars/

I'm pretty sure that it's a done deal however I'm confident that Councillor Wong-Tam will be consulting with the City's legal council to see if she has any options here given how she was sidestepped on this whole thing right from the beginning and the controversial nature of the whole project. On Monday she began to state to Councillor Minnan-Wong (before she was called out of order & had her mic. cut) - how would you like it if I came into your Ward and made secret plans on issues there that I know nothing about?

I am disappointed with the Jarvis decision though I am trying to focus on the good, which is that the administration is staking at least some political capital on the separated downtown bike lane network--a big step forward if constructed. For better or worse those of us who care about building the city will have to take what we can get over the next three years, and that means finding common cause with Ford Nation wherever we can. The way Jarvis was handled was shameful, but doesn't change that reality. Right now losing Jarvis is annoying; it will be a tragedy if it convinces the left there's no way to work with the Fords and their allies. Doing so will, inevitably, mean swallowing some pride and trying to ignore bad behavior when achieving something for the greater good is possible. Like I said, I want to be optimistic. While they can be forced into unbelievable logical contortions by their masters, the likes of Karen Stintz, Peter Milczyn, and Michael Thompson are reasonable people who we can work with.

What I am much, much more concerned about is the apparent ease with which the Fords were able to slap down Kristyn Wong-Tam's laudable efforts to save Jarvis. 28 on side for Ford is a HUGE majority on a controversial issue, especially one where the main thrust of it--that a local representative shouldn't be blindsided by decisions about her ward--is a pretty universal concern among councillors. Similarly, getting 21 votes for blocking debate on two free public health nurses, the refusal of whom is about the most senseless decision imaginable, is pretty stunning. This suggests to me that for whatever reason the Fords have a much tighter grip on their working majority than they appeared to at the last couple of Council meetings, where they seemed to lose more than a few votes. Would love to be proven wrong about that, though.

Somehow, the reversible-lane reinstatement strikes me as the more authentically WTF element than the removal of the bike lanes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back