News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cant play hockey or sports on it. its a pleasure skating rink.

Scarborough does not have any outdoor rinks for sports or hockey.

Still an "outdoor ice rink" you can skate on both.

650,000 people and 1 outdoor non-sports/hockey rink.

this is how Rob Ford(s) win.

you can brush this off..but this is how he wins.

But they cost money. How would Rob pay for it? Close a library or two? Maybe Doug will buy poor old Scarborough an outdoor ice rink. That would be nice of him. Seriously, if people can be swayed by Rob spouting stupid crap about ice rinks, then we've got bigger issues in this city than just Rob Ford. I care that my mayor is an idiot, and a liar, ice rinks are waaaaaay down the list.

populism at it's finest.

at the rate he's going, I fully expect to see a motion requiring all pizza delivery places adhere to a maximum "30 minutes or free" as part of his re-election platform.

Today, if you are looking to buy a detached home in Toronto, you can expect to pay around $25,000 in Land Transfer Taxes.

Really? The LTT in Toronto is 2% for all houses 400K and over. The same rate applies provincially. According to this calculator, here is what a buyer would pay in combined LTT if they bought a house in Toronto and did not qualify for the first time buyer exemption:

$400,000 house: $8,200 ($3,725 LTT, which is also the maximum rebate for first time buyers)
$600,000 house: $16,200 ($7,725 Toronto LTT)
$800,000 house: $24,200 ($12,145 Toronto LTT) -- I guess that's close enough to $25k (I wonder how many people think a typical Toronto house will see $25,000 in taxes imposed by the city, though, instead of this being a combined figure?)

So where does that $800,000 figure come from? Maybe here.

But what about first time buyers? They get a rebate of up to $3725 off the LTT.
What about cheaper detached houses? Yes, you can get a detached house for under $800k in Toronto.
What about first and second time buyers looking at condos, townhouses and semi-detached houses? Well, those are a lot cheaper, in the 400K to 600K range (source).

God knows houses are expensive in Toronto. But 5% rebate on the LTT (that's a whopping savings of $607.25 [fixed my figure] for a family rich enough to buy a typical detached house in Toronto), plus trying to meet Ford's ridiculous goal of a 1.75% raise in property taxes, will leave the city $35 million in the hole. What services get slashed for that?

Last edited:
Ford is an idiot but the fact that all of scarborough where almost a 1/3 of Toronto's population lives has one outdoor free rink is ridiculous

http://www1.toronto.ca/staticfiles/...ation/skating/files/pdf/outdoor-rinks-map.pdf

When I was a kid growing up in Scarborough there were a few outdoor rinks, I guess they closed after the indoor rinks became popular because of the weather factor. Unfortunately, it always comes down to cost, and I find it amusing that Ford keeps coming up with these ideas, but will freak at the cost of maintaining an outdoor rink.

I love that he loves getting up there, talking about condo construction and how he's single-handedly lowered the unemployment rate, and then, in the next breath talks about how the land transfer tax (in effect for 4 years now? 5?) is hurting our economic competitiveness. Curious! I guess all we need to really go next-level is to knock it down by 5%. That should turn Toronto into Dubai North!

I also grew up in Scarborough (in the 90s) and had plenty of outdoor rinks to play hockey on. Highland Creek, Rouge River, Rob Ford's a moron, etc.

I love that he loves getting up there, talking about condo construction and how he's single-handedly lowered the unemployment rate, and then, in the next breath talks about how the land transfer tax (in effect for 4 years now? 5?) is hurting our economic competitiveness. Curious! I guess all we need to really go next-level is to knock it down by 5%. That should turn Toronto into Dubai North!

Maybe that idiot could ask an economist. I reckon it'd be as useless as the Harper populist-rubbish GST rate reduction of yore.

I don't think so. What reason Scarb has so little is baffling, but I doubt it has anything to do with who the mayor is. I mean, Etobicoke York has 20...the highest per capita in the city. North York has 8.

(I wonder how many people think a typical Toronto house will see $25,000 in taxes imposed by the city, though, instead of this being a combined figure?)

At least he was careful enough to use the plural, while giving the impression it isn't. But as politician speak goes, fairly garden variety deceit.

Wrong. Rob Ford(s) win by promising to save people money, period. Promises of ice rinks are just gravy. The internet is full of idiotic pro Ford arguments, and they almost all start, and end with allegations of his "fiscal responsibility". Until now I've never heard anybody trumpet Ford's dedication to the parks. This ice skating business is exactly what it seems: a transparent ploy for eastern votes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back