News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of reality shows, is it me or is it that some sound scripted?

However, the Rob Ford saga is not as scripted.

On the topic of reality shows, is it me or is it that some sound scripted?

Not in the traditional sense. They don't literally get a script in all the cases I've read about. But the directors will steer the 'action' towards what they want to happen, and if something doesn't look right they'll just tell them to do it again. So if you see some argument on a reality show, it's pretty likely you're not seeing the first take.

Pretty pathetic way to make a show, IMO, but it is ruthlessly efficient.

Not in the traditional sense. They don't literally get a script in all the cases I've read about. But the directors will steer the 'action' towards what they want to happen, and if something doesn't look right they'll just tell them to do it again. So if you see some argument on a reality show, it's pretty likely you're not seeing the first take.

Pretty pathetic way to make a show, IMO, but it is ruthlessly efficient.
They do that not to make the show actually scripted, but that seems rather "scripted" in that they have to fit the directors' views.

This one is quite blatant in staging: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell's_Kitchen_(U.S._TV_series)#Accusations_of_staging

I've seen some talk on Twitter about a real estate guy named John G. Lozo (a/k/a J.G. Lozo) who lists his place of business in some cases as Rob Ford's place on Edenbridge (alternatively, an apartment building behind the notorious Esso) and how he might be the 'John' that Renata confided in. Anyone know more about this?

interesting. he also comes up as having a royal york address...

1137 Royal York Rd,

http://www.wikidomo.com/place/472834/called/j-g-lozo-real-estate-invest/in/etobicoke_ontario_canada

So Dofo was trying to get out of jury duty, and now this:
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 13m
Cllr Doug Ford bringing his fellow jurors on a tour of City Hall right now #TOpoli

What is going thru his head?

So in no way is this inappropriate behavior..... jeez.

So in no way is this inappropriate behavior..... jeez.

and let's not forget...

Leaving aside the fact that virtually everyone’s personal information is Googlable, whether or not they’re a politician (and also ignoring the fact that the Fords aren’t above issuing some threats of their own), it’s a little odd that Ford would try to use his position in this way. He specifically voted against the idea of exempting city councillors from jury duty back in 2012.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-politics/2014/02/04/doug-ford-jury-duty/

Robyn talks about the harassment directed at her in this article: http://www.flare.com/celebrity/entertainment/profile-crack-reporter/

Crack Reporter: The Scoop on Rob Ford From Robyn Doolittle

Toronto Star reporter Robyn Doolittle became famous overnight for spearheading the investigation into Mayor Rob Ford’s crack cocaine use. Rebecca Godfrey gets an exclusive early peek at her new book, Crazy Town, which details Ford’s rise and wacky reign—and the extraordinary day-to-day of the journalist who fearlessly took on city hall’s mad king.
Feb 4, 2014 Rebecca Godfrey

But as she became the face of the story, Doolittle also endured a surprising amount of hostility. “I understand how someone can say, ‘I don’t care what the mayor does in his personal time.’ That’s completely valid,” she says. “But you don’t need to say, ‘I bet you’re a heroin-using prostitute.’” If the often crass insults from Ford Nation were expected, the critiques from other journalists, including her former Ryerson professor John Miller (who excoriated the Star in a blog post for rushing the story into print and not explaining why the sources were granted anonymity or what their motives were), were not.

A Huffington Post Canada columnist mocked her for having “gone Hollywood,” noting her “alabaster skin” and “frictionless smile” and comparing her to Harvey Levin, ring leader of the tabloid-ish gossip site TMZ.

Other attacks were more private, more menacing. Doolittle opened a piece of mail to find an image of a woman’s face getting ejaculated on, with a Toronto Star logo superimposed over it. Scrawled under the photo: “So you fucken pathetic ignorant cunt that you are, how about this for a headline? Robin Doolittle caught on cell phone video sucking cock!!! How does this feel now?”

One evening, when Doolittle was at a coffee shop near her apartment, her phone rang, and she answered. “He said, ‘I know where you work, I know where you live. I’m coming to get you, and I’m going to rape you.’”

I asked Cooke if he ever considered pulling her off the story. “She wouldn’t allow that,” he replied. “Reporters get threatened all the time.”

Robyn talks about the harassment directed at her in this article: http://www.flare.com/celebrity/entertainment/profile-crack-reporter/

Crack Reporter: The Scoop on Rob Ford From Robyn Doolittle

Toronto Star reporter Robyn Doolittle became famous overnight for spearheading the investigation into Mayor Rob Ford’s crack cocaine use. Rebecca Godfrey gets an exclusive early peek at her new book, Crazy Town, which details Ford’s rise and wacky reign—and the extraordinary day-to-day of the journalist who fearlessly took on city hall’s mad king.
Feb 4, 2014 Rebecca Godfrey

But as she became the face of the story, Doolittle also endured a surprising amount of hostility. “I understand how someone can say, ‘I don’t care what the mayor does in his personal time.’ That’s completely valid,” she says. “But you don’t need to say, ‘I bet you’re a heroin-using prostitute.’” If the often crass insults from Ford Nation were expected, the critiques from other journalists, including her former Ryerson professor John Miller (who excoriated the Star in a blog post for rushing the story into print and not explaining why the sources were granted anonymity or what their motives were), were not.

A Huffington Post Canada columnist mocked her for having “gone Hollywood,” noting her “alabaster skin” and “frictionless smile” and comparing her to Harvey Levin, ring leader of the tabloid-ish gossip site TMZ.

Other attacks were more private, more menacing. Doolittle opened a piece of mail to find an image of a woman’s face getting ejaculated on, with a Toronto Star logo superimposed over it. Scrawled under the photo: “So you fucken pathetic ignorant cunt that you are, how about this for a headline? Robin Doolittle caught on cell phone video sucking cock!!! How does this feel now?”

One evening, when Doolittle was at a coffee shop near her apartment, her phone rang, and she answered. “He said, ‘I know where you work, I know where you live. I’m coming to get you, and I’m going to rape you.’”

I asked Cooke if he ever considered pulling her off the story. “She wouldn’t allow that,” he replied. “Reporters get threatened all the time.”

It's amazing that people go to such lengths to try and get at the messenger. Instead of calling the the reporter they could simply call the Mayor and ask him to "stop being a spectacle". Ironically we know the Mayor will return the call.

I have no doubt that at least some of the threatening messages to Doolitle came from posters at The I hate The War On Rob Ford facebook page. They are just vile, particularly in reference to Robyn.

I'm about 75% of the way through the book. It's a good read and you get a sense of work as a journalist too. There's not a ton new here, but each chapter has at least 1-2 bits of new info or quotes that are good. My fav so far is from Clr Stintz recalling a meeting with the Fords about turning Sheppard LRT into a subway and Doug insisting the private sector would "give us billions" where she said "I left that meeting thinking, these guys are nuts. And you can put that in your book."

Also, her note about the stench of 15 Windsor was interesting - that it smelled something between cigarette smoke and unwashed bedsheets.

My fav so far is from Clr Stintz recalling a meeting with the Fords about turning Sheppard LRT into a subway and Doug insisting the private sector would "give us billions" where she said "I left that meeting thinking, these guys are nuts. And you can put that in your book."

Also, her note about the stench of 15 Windsor was interesting - that it smelled something between cigarette smoke and unwashed bedsheets.

A good friend of mine was a contributor to Chongs team on finding alternative sources to pay for the subways and NEVER at any time did they think it was going to be easy - let alone a successful strategy - to find private sector funding for the TTC.

Goes to show you how blind the Ford's are to corporate "Big Business" philosophies.

Last edited:
Why does Facebook allow groups based on bigotry? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook

If Facebook disallows bigotry, then Neil Flagg (and Scott MacIntyre, the Fords, the Neo-Nazis, the Young Flat Earth Creationists, and pseudoscientists) would be rightfully starved.

If free speech allows for bigotry, then I don't know what is hate speech.

Fortunately, Neil Flagg does not read Wikipedia or else he would be tempted to be bigoted there.

Wikipedia is for rationalists. Robyn Doolittle now has a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Doolittle

Last edited:
Why does Facebook allow groups based on bigotry? See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook

If Facebook disallows bigotry, then Neil Flagg (and Scott MacIntyre, the Fords, the Neo-Nazis, the Young Flat Earth Creationists, and pseudoscientists) would be rightfully starved.

If free speech allows for bigotry, then I don't know what is hate speech.

Fortunately, Neil Flagg does not read Wikipedia or else he would be tempted to be bigoted there.

Wikipedia is for rationalists.

Facebook is a "Private Entity" - they can do whatever they want... doesn't make it right but that is just the way things go...

Facebook is a "Private Entity" - they can do whatever they want... doesn't make it right but that is just the way things go...
Fortunately, Wikipedia isn't a "Private Entity." Edits get reverted. This is why Frod Nayshun don't bother with Wikipedia. Wikipedia strives for neutrality.

By the way, Robyn Doolittle has a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Doolittle

One thing that was interesting to note from the book launch last night. By 6pm there were 2 police officers providing security in the theatre lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back