8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 1h
Doug Ford, on AM640, on Chief Blair yesterday: "It just so happened he wanted to wait until his best buddy John Tory got in the race."

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 1h
Doug Ford on Chief Blair: "He might as well just stick a John Tory button on his chest and go around there and start campaigning."

Vintage Fords. Something is definitely coming down the pipe.

this has happened several time in this thread, and it needs to stop

when talking about rob and doug, the plural is Fords, not Ford's

we now return you to your normal programming...

Vintage Fords. Something is definitely coming down the pipe.

Entirely agree. The targeting of Blair is all too specific, vehement and consistent to be merely spontaneous, even for a strategist as ham-fisted and inelegant as Thug Ford.

The question this begs is-- how do they know? Certainly this is in the air, and they obviously know of their own crimes, but the sudden shift to this spoiling tactic suggests to me that they must be getting pretty specific information about the progress of the case from a reliable source. The smears of Blair are just too provocative to be risked, especially so early in the campaign, unless they have a very good idea that something really bad is imminent.

the quebec mayors have even more incentive to criticize ford - he's considered to be an oafish barbarian in quebec and expressing such a view is popular. for the mayors to say so publicly is basically to speak for quebeckers, like, there's an advantage for them there. i honestly don't think that ford could be less popular anywhere in canada than in quebec - he could probably even be elected mayor of some other towns, like winnipeg or edmonton, in quebec i doubt the courts would even allow him to run.
Indeed, he plays well into what some Québécois think of English Canadians and for that reason can also make it good politics on their part. Having said that, I think all Canadian Mayors should have given him the rebuke, especially in light of recent events like the Pride flag flap.

Entirely agree. The targeting of Blair is all too specific, vehement and consistent to be merely spontaneous, even for a strategist as ham-fisted and inelegant as Thug Ford.

The question this begs is-- how do they know? Certainly this is in the air, and they obviously know of their own crimes, but the sudden shift to this spoiling tactic suggests to me that they must be getting pretty specific information about the progress of the case from a reliable source. The smears of Blair are just too provocative to be risked, especially so early in the campaign, unless they have a very good idea that something really bad is imminent.

Maybe TPS is taking advantage of Lisi's reputation for being 'chatty' to forward select information to the Ford camp (?) Also the couple of public announcements from TPS lately, have been specific enough (think that iCloud recovery, and Rob's cellular 'meta data') that the Fords likely know exactly what the TPS will find from those specific sources (once 'meta data' was explained to them).

thekeenanwire 9:17am via Twitter for iPhone
Um. RT “@ddale8: Doug Ford on Chief Bill Blair: "He just keeps breaking the law."”

Is it just me or is there something fundamentally wrong with Doug Ford saying this? Libelous yes, but its almost incitement to a rebellion against the Police...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seditious_libel

As of 2014, violation of section 59 of the Criminal Code of Canada attracted a maximum term in prison of 14 years, and the broader sedition was defined in part as follows:
59(4) Without limiting the generality of the meaning of the expression “seditious intention”, every one shall be presumed to have a seditious intention who
(a) teaches or advocates, or
(b) publishes or circulates any writing that advocates,
the use, without the authority of law, of force as a means of accomplishing a governmental change within Canada.

A statement is seditious if it "brings into hatred or contempt" either the Queen or her heirs, the government and constitution, either House of Parliament, the administration of justice, if it incites people to attempt to change any matter of Church or State established by law (except by lawful means), or if it promotes discontent among or hostility between British subjects. A person is only guilty of the offence if they have printed words or images and intend any of the above outcomes. Proving that the statement is true is not a defence.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is there something fundamentally wrong with Doug Ford saying this? Libelous yes, but its almost incitement to a rebellion against the Police...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seditious_libel

As of 2014, violation of section 59 of the Criminal Code of Canada attracted a maximum term in prison of 14 years, and the broader sedition was defined in part as follows:
59(4) Without limiting the generality of the meaning of the expression “seditious intention”, every one shall be presumed to have a seditious intention who
(a) teaches or advocates, or
(b) publishes or circulates any writing that advocates,
the use, without the authority of law, of force as a means of accomplishing a governmental change within Canada.

It's starting to get in to Libel territory, but the chief of police has little to gain from filing suit against a sitting city councillor.

Also, Blair might know what's coming and in that case (as Rob Ford is fond of saying) the proof will be in the pudding.

It's starting to get in to Libel territory, but the chief of police has little to gain from filing suit against a sitting city councillor.

Also, Blair might know what's coming and in that case (as Rob Ford is fond of saying) the proof will be in the pudding.

But when Ford says it, he's referring to 80 proof.

I really don't see what possible advantage there is to Blair to come out and lie in defence of Ford about those 911 calls; other people know the truth of it, and it's a matter of police record, so he would then be risking being caught in a public lie for no apparent gain to defend someone he presumably despises.

Sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense.

Recall that Blair seemed to have parsed his words very carefully when he defended Ford.

"The content of those conversations has been misrepresented by what are claimed to be 'several anonymous sources,' presumably from within the [Toronto Police Service], in which case I have to set the record straight. I have listened to the three emergency calls. The mayor did not use the word 'bitches,' attributed to him by those 'several anonymous sources,' "

The mayor did not describe himself as the original account claimed."

It's certainly not definitive, but to my mind ^that's a non-denial denial. I would wager that, if the recording were released, Blair's account would be factually true but misleading. Still, I don't see accurate-but-misleading as sufficient ammunition to play chicken with Blair over serious criminal charges. But, then again, I'm not a sociopathic loser who needs to play chicken with the police chief, so what do I know?

I like to think of it as creative thinking. What is this board for, except to throw ideas out, and get feedback? I am sure a good percentage of what has been postulated here, has some basis in reality.

You got that my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, right? I'm actually all for people posting their wild theories, so long as they don't mind them being constructively torn apart.

The context of my remark is key; I was responding to PinkLucy's post "or maybe Doug's an idiot". I think we can all agree that whatever that is, "wild speculation" it ain't :D

Dofo's comments are a Crime against the Crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back