News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding seeking advice before doing anything with the video, it is possible they had an "expert" friend (the quotations are sarcastic). People who say they are experts are a dime a dozen, real experts are a little harder to find. It's doubtful a real expert is anywhere near where they live. They would have approached their search for expertise from the viewpoint of people who probably knew next to nothing and probably located a guy who can format a Windows XP computer.
Yes, but you don't have to be a Mitnick or a Stallman to know that putting sensitive info on the internet means losing control of it forever. Even Mr. or Ms. Windows XP would have a clue about that; after all, this sort of thing crops up in the mainstream media from time to time. I also disagree with your suggestion that people who really know what they're talking about don't live in places like Dixon, but the whole "maybe the crack videographers sought advice" thing is all just conjecture on my part.

Interestingly (at least to me), just before all this came out in the press, around the time that Ford was reported being intoxicated in public the first time, I happened to read a message in some forum from a guy who claimed to know there was much worse out there and that it would be revealed soon. The other people either ignored him or told him he was full of it. This tells me there was at least one person out there trying to warn people of Ford's behaviour online but was too afraid to come out from behind his handle. Behaviour like Ford's is never private. People must have seen him, sold drugs to him, did drugs with him or had friends who did long before this story ever became public.
No doubt!

There may be, as you say, some people out there just trying to feel like they are part of the story, but I call you back to my assertion that the goonies.bugs3.com site was up and running well before this guy ever went to Vice. Do you believe a troll set the file hosting space up just to fool them - months before going to Vice?
No - but that's not necessary for the troll narrative to work.

Or, do you think he just happened on this URL?
Quite possible, if you're looking for something which sounds right, perhaps running a few such searches with a short list of keywords related to the people who you want to mpersonate.

It seems the latter is quite fantastic as there are dozens of these hosting services and unless you signed up for each and every one of them, you might not know how they structured the URL for an account. I've not heard of bugs3.com before today and to think some troll who spends his time in forums playing bigshot could pull that off just doesn't add up to me.
You don't need to know the URL structure; see above.

To further add to the mystery is the fact that the domain for bugs3.com was registered by domains by proxy - a service which offers anonymity. This service would appeal to people like the goonies as they may erroneously believe that their activity was also anonymous. A quick search shows it's full of spam and phishing sites, not exactly a reputable business.
Hang on - so are they internet babes-in-arms, or are they bashing out a quick whois with their left hand while waving an illegally imported handgun with their right? :rolleyes:

Adding it all up, I'm inclined to believe that the source of the vice article was not the troll unless he is so desperate for attention that he set this up the very moment Gawker published the crack video story.
The troll doesn't need to have set anything up; just happened upon one or two useful props, and then faked some screenshots and emails. In any case, that's what trolls are: desperate for attention and the validation of manipulating others. Based on detrimental things I've seen online, I have no trouble whatsoever believing that there are people out there would would take great pride & joy in setting up and feeding a fake story to Vice (or whoever).

I don't want to come off as argumentative or a thread-derailer, honest! It's just that I still haven't seen anything which lends any legitimacy to this story; all the so-called proof can be easily dismissed by anyone with a working knowledge of IT. There are so many real or potentially real threads to the Rob Ford Ongoing Megacatastrophe Epic Story that I don't think we should waste time on false leads, and this - to me - is one.

In the interests of not derailing or being a negative influence on the tone of the thread, I'm leaving this topic as-is unless some exciting new development comes up to show me that I was wrong. I apologise in advance if that happens, and just generally for taking us on a tangent. I enjoy your writing and analysis, even if I don't agree 100% with all of it. :)

Last edited:
Still on The Wire kick. Here are some quotes:
[video=youtube;-Sgj78QG9Bg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgj78QG9Bg[/video]

Maybe we can start compiling quotes for our post arrest awards show.

1 I've got more than enough to eat at home.

From this page: http://www.condomadness.info/YCC42-political.html

This image describes and Ford and Fraud Nayshun:
math-problem.jpg

Attachments

• math-problem.jpg
    math-problem.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 433
But why even make the point that Jimmi T's explicitly limited observations are not exhaustive on the Dixon Somali community? Who would think that they were? He certainly wasn't trying to position himself as an authority. It just seemed like you were calling him out on claims he wasn't attempting to make. And who thinks "the media" are unimpeachable info either?

FWIW, I wasn't trying to call him out on anything, just wondering what he was drawing on. I apologize if I seemed to be playing devil's advocate too much by questioning the idea that because there had been changes in the Somali community (Westernization and other factors), therefore the changes are what's behind the gang situation. I mean, are there indications that the gang members are newer arrivals or more established members of the community or both?

It's also possible that I read too much into JimmiT's reference to the media. Obviously no one considers (or should consider) the media unimpeachable, but media reports are confirming what JimmiT is experiencing - is that what I'm missing here?

I don't want to come off as argumentative or a thread-derailer, honest! It's just that I still haven't seen anything which lends much legitimacy to this story. There are so many real or potentially real threads to the Rob Ford Ongoing Megacatastrophe Epic Story that I don't think we should waste time on false leads, and this - to me - is one.

No worries about that. This place exists (I assume) to stimulate discussion. Just like a jury, there are going to be some who see the evidence one way, and others who interpret it another.

I forgot to attach the image for people who don't know what I'm on about. I just can't see the troll tripping over an obscure URL and we know from this image that the file archive was set up well before the Vice article. Note the date June 13, 2013 and remember the archive does not take the first snapshot till weeks or months after a website goes up.

I am supposed to be working today but y'all have derailed me again today. ;)

archive.jpg

Attachments

• archive.jpg
    archive.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 409
To further add to the mystery is the fact that the domain for bugs3.com was registered by domains by proxy - a service which offers anonymity.

Everyone who's not very silly uses a WhoIs protector for personal domains these days. I have a domain that is literally my first and last name dot com and I still use whoisguard on that (a product from Namecheap similar to Domains by Proxy from GoDaddy). Pretty much every registrar offers this service for free for your first year. Why would you want literally anyone who knows your domain to know your physical mailing address?

FWIW, I wasn't trying to call him out on anything, just wondering what he was drawing on. I apologize if I seemed to be playing devil's advocate too much by questioning the idea that because there had been changes in the Somali community (Westernization and other factors), therefore the changes are what's behind the gang situation. I mean, are there indications that the gang members are newer arrivals or more established members of the community or both?

It's also possible that I read too much into JimmiT's reference to the media. Obviously no one considers (or should consider) the media unimpeachable, but media reports are confirming what JimmiT is experiencing - is that what I'm missing here?

I think he was pretty clear that he was drawing on his personal observations, and making the points that a) things had changed in 20 years and b) more Somali kids of roughly high school age were now involved in gangs than back when he was in high school... without making any real claims about causality that I could see.

Majorly agree. There are drug dealers in just about every highrise & condo building in Toronto, and they are no less prevalent in Yorkville than they are on Dixon. Doesn't matter where you look: most people are not drug dealers. Rather, they're just trying to go to work, come home, put dinner on the table, raise their families and maybe have enough left over to have some peaceful fun now and again, but such people are seldom in the news.

Thanks. They're also in low-rise older neighbourhoods in Toronto ...

There was one guy associated with the Dixon Rd group whose house was raided, but he lived east of there, in a middle-classish area of detached homes ... the reaction was more about residents who never suspected anything and considered him just one of the neighbourhood residents.

Quite possible, if you're looking for something which sounds right, perhaps running a few such searches with a short list of keywords related to the people who you want to impersonate.

Good point, but I had considered that when I read your post, so I went to see if the site was still active (and it was) and then did a google search using typical keywords to see if it came up. It didn't - at least for me. I realize that Google does show the most relevant results based on a variety of criteria including your location, past searches etc., and everyone's results will be different but it just added weight to the idea that a newbie couldn't have done this. Search for anything related to Ford right now and there are hundreds of pages on popular sites which will come up well before anything like bugs3.

Hang on - so are they internet babes-in-arms, or are they bashing out a quick whois with their left hand while waving an illegally imported handgun with their right? :rolleyes:

To the Windows XP formatter guy, Whois is not a mystery - but such an individual could believe that hosting the video, temporarily would be safe enough. I'm sure they never intended it to be there long, nor did they intend to make it public, or show it to anyone from there. It was probably for back-up purposes only and the video file was probably renamed to something which sounded innocent. It's also possible that Window XP "expert" also changed the extension of the video to further disguise the stored content.
And fyi, no harm meant in my comment about a real expert not living in Dixon. I grew up in similar circumstances but people with those types of skills tend to leave as soon as they are able, and rightly so.

In the interests of not derailing or being a negative influence on the tone of the thread, I'm leaving this topic as-is unless some exciting new development comes up to show me that I was wrong. I apologise in advance if that happens, and just generally for taking us on a tangent. I enjoy your writing and analysis, even if I don't agree 100% with all of it. :)

I don't see the harm in a topic tangent. ;) Don't worry, I'm not so sensitive that I can't take a good rebuttal.
Besides, it's fun to read what other people think about this fiasco. I especially laughed this morning when someone used really small text to say that they doubted the cancer story. There is probably a skeptic in all of us or we wouldn't be spending our time here.

Everyone who's not very silly uses a WhoIs protector for personal domains these days. I have a domain that is literally my first and last name dot com and I still use whoisguard on that (a product from Namecheap similar to Domains by Proxy from GoDaddy). Pretty much every registrar offers this service for free for your first year. Why would you want literally anyone who knows your domain to know your physical mailing address?

Actually, yes.
There's no reason to hide your business address in whois if it appears quite clearly on your website.

It's telling that no other media organization followed up on the Vice story or even reported it second hand. Looks bad on them trying to go legit.

I see that as part of the mainstream media's tendency to dismiss Vice as a bunch of shit-disturbers more interested in quasi-trolling people and going for shock value than reporting accurately (which is a not entirely undeserved assessment). But then Vice didn't really have anything to follow it up with, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back