News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
searches without probable cause are illegal and, in this case, would jeopardize the investigation.

They likely could have argued cause. They already had Lisi connected to drugs and those drops were clearly along those lines. In short, the activity was suspicious. Just look at that ITO - there's probable cause all over it. It's BECAUSE they had probable cause that everyone is wondering why there was never a real search.

That said - there has been some talk (somewhere on here and surely elsewhere) that Lisi and Ford knew they were being surveilled (at least do a degree) and there was some suspicious some of the packages could have been decoys. Several times the ITO mentions Lisi using "evasive" techniques while driving around.

BUT I think the bigger issue is they did not want to get Ford on a possession charge and certainly did not want to blow the investigation on an uncertain possession charge. If you think you might have him on something like conspiracy or assault or extortion you don't send the SWAT team into the Esso hoping you've found an envelope with a few ounces of pot in it. I think that's the real answer.

I keep hoping that it was passed along to the OPP for charges to be laid, however, a little part of me wonders if the opposite is happening. What if Blair couldn't make a case, and wanted OPP to agree and sign off? OMG, I don't even want to go there.

Of course, no one can guarantee anything at this point. My instinct is that there's something very big going on, bigger than we know at this point, but who knows?

The one thing I find encouraging is the way the cops discuss Brazen 2. They always say it's "ongoing" or that they can't comment and relevant information will be presented "in the courts." These are very seasoned investigators, I feel that they would know if they were chasing a dead end, and would speak about the investigation differently, i.e. in a way that shut down speculation or curiosity. But I'm no expert in this area.

That said - there has been some talk (somewhere on here and surely elsewhere) that Lisi and Ford knew they were being surveilled (at least do a degree) and there was some suspicious some of the packages could have been decoys. Several times the ITO mentions Lisi using "evasive" techniques while driving around.
That's what I was thinking. They knew they were being watched. The envelopes were empty and they were hoping that the police would swoop in and expose the whole thing. It just seems odd that they would do a drop off like that in broad daylight at a gas station.

I think the building "walk throughs" with the fridge magnets asking about unit and pothole repairs is a safer strategy. It says, "I'm here to help you", while avoiding controversy. That, and getting the "selfies" with the young "folks" out on social media.

Toronto is a huge city and walk-throughs are time consuming. Even with all the selfies, people over-estimate what social media will do for politicians. They're nothing more than kiss-the-baby moments and have nothing to do with policy. I still have to believe that most people are not that dumb - at least twice in a row.

I've volunteered for elections in the past, done the door-to-door thing and know the (partial) point of these is to convince the undecided - not supporters, that you are the right person for the job and to press-the-flesh. In small towns, this strategy is important because people expect to have some direct connection with council members but cities are a whole-nuther-level and most of us never meet a politician in person. It's not part of our collective expectations. How many politicians running for a major office have you personally shaken hands with at your door? In nearly 40 years, it's been only one for me. (Bob Rae) If there have been others, I have forgotten them. People in large apartment buildings tend to not know their neighbours well enough for these visits to create much positive buzz; and Ford's celebrity, not his political ideas, will likely be chatter once he's gone.

Despite the fact that media likes to point to unusual political decisions as being "brilliant", they haven't thought this through. In the end, it's simple math. It would be impossible in a city the size of Toronto for Ford and brother(s) to reach enough voters with this walk-through/selfie strategy. Less so as time goes on and newspapers get bored reporting on it.

I am hoping Ford continues to waste time by campaigning when we all know he should be working. The more he does it, the more people will quietly grumble that he's not doing the job he's paid to do. All but the most strident supporters are bound to recognize that they are not getting what they paid for.

On the Rob Ford Selfie thing; I have noticed most of the selfies that get shared are not flattering situations for the mayor (like Muzik night club which really only creates more speculation) and included with things like "LOL" or other not so flattering comments about him. Not all publicity is good publicity, and while all publicity may help a celebrity, it doesn't help politicians. There is such a thing as bad press for candidates. It's not a smart tactic, and it's not going to translate to votes. Most people who see these selfies don't take them as "oh look at what an awesome guy, rock star the Mayor is" they take it as "ugh, trainwreck is touting his trainwreckedness". He's more akin to a Kardashian than he is a JFK and that will matter at the ballot box.

Not to mention his base are not avid internet users (as told by the lack of views to his youtube show). These selfies aren't going to endear him to people who would actually vote for him regardless of the comments.

Toronto is a huge city and walk-throughs are time consuming...It would be impossible in a city the size of Toronto for Ford and brother(s) to reach enough voters with this walk-through/selfie strategy. Less so as time goes on and newspapers get bored reporting on it...

Yes I agree it's an inefficient strategy for even the most tireless campaigner, and we all know RoFo is useless after happy hour.

The Rexdale folk I know love RF because he's "their man next door." :)

I met a former co-worker for coffee recently and he supported Ford in 2010 but wasn't as committed yet to supporting him again this year. He's a professional, mature adult and bought into Ford's "honesty" and the "stop the gravy train" of money waste at City Hall aspects of his campaign in 2010.

He attended a couple of the Ford Fests and talked to a lot of people there. His opinion on Ford's success with the "working class and immigrant" populations of Toronto is that he meets and talks to them (ie. such as these building "inspections"), talks to them as if he's one of the "common folk", in terms they relate with, on issues they relate to (cutting waste, reducing taxes, etc.) and comes across as an "honest, straight shooter" who believes in what they believe in. People know he's wealthy, but he does come off as "their man next door" and fights for their interests at City Hall. This was in contrast to other candidates in 2010 and might apply this time as well who were perceived as condescending and patrician in their dealings with "the common folks" and too focused on downtown issues. His view was that if any of the other candidates put any effort into that street-level approach like Ford's, they could win, but if they don't, he'll keep a lot of those supporters.

One thing about Rob, he does make a good personal impression on people when they deal with him one on one regarding their problems at City Hall. He makes a connection "helping" people deal with the bureaocracy at City Hall, and is against those who would spend their hard-earned tax money on frivolous and dubious causes, hence his extensive phone number list and avid supporters.

I think those are some of the hard-core Ford Nationals, and will stick with their man since they don't trust anyone else, despite Ford doing all the things that we've been discussing here.

when Ford is interviewed, he often responds with his eyes closed or if his eyes are open, he doesn't look at the interviewer. I'm not talking about media scrums, but 1:1 type of interviews. Does he do this when speaking with people? Because if he can't make eye contact with anyone, how do they get this "honest" vibe?

I met a former co-worker for coffee recently and he supported Ford in 2010 but wasn't as committed yet to supporting him again this year. He's a professional, mature adult and bought into Ford's "honesty" and the "stop the gravy train" of money waste at City Hall aspects of his campaign in 2010.

He attended a couple of the Ford Fests and talked to a lot of people there. His opinion on Ford's success with the "working class and immigrant" populations of Toronto is that he meets and talks to them (ie. such as these building "inspections"), talks to them as if he's one of the "common folk", in terms they relate with, on issues they relate to (cutting waste, reducing taxes, etc.) and comes across as an "honest, straight shooter" who believes in what they believe in. People know he's wealthy, but he does come off as "their man next door" and fights for their interests at City Hall. This was in contrast to other candidates in 2010 and might apply this time as well who were perceived as condescending and patrician in their dealings with "the common folks" and too focused on downtown issues. His view was that if any of the other candidates put any effort into that street-level approach like Ford's, they could win, but if they don't, he'll keep a lot of those supporters.

One thing about Rob, he does make a good personal impression on people when they deal with him one on one regarding their problems at City Hall. He makes a connection "helping" people deal with the bureaocracy at City Hall, and is against those who would spend their hard-earned tax money on frivolous and dubious causes, hence his extensive phone number list and avid supporters.

I think those are some of the hard-core Ford Nationals, and will stick with their man since they don't trust anyone else, despite Ford doing all the things that we've been discussing here.

That's why people need to attack him on his voting record. He voted against increasing people at 311, the institution that's meant to help people cut through the bureaucratic red tape. On the TCHC front, he's also voted against many things that would help the people living in those buildings. For every person that Ford personally responds to, there are at least tens of people who are being bumped to the bottom of the list for their issues. When Ford steps in, he's circumventing the process and he's making people who went through the proper channels wait longer for their issues, while voting against increasing the staff to help those people have their issues solved. The whole picture of what he's doing really shows that he's making things worse for people, not better. While that one person may have been helped, many others won't be or won't be in a timely manner because of Ford.

It's been a slow news week for Rob Ford. Any stories of him are relatively minor lately. It feels like the calm before the storm.

I think its obvious he knows the jig is up. Something changed this week for sure. I think received some very bad news. When he appeared at City Hall on Tuesday he looked like a truly haunted man, almost unrecognizable.

The details of politics--eg voting records--are boring to most people, so it comes down to character and charisma. eg: Obama, Clinton, Bush etc.

For example, Tory strikes me as a Bob Dole to say Ford's Clinton; he will lose again. Chow may just become a sideshow distraction. RF is a brand so it will take a strong centrist to beat him--that person hasn't risen to the occasion yet.

I think its obvious he knows the jig is up. Something changed this week for sure. I think received some very bad news. When he appeared at City Hall on Tuesday he looked like a truly haunted man, almost unrecognizable.

He looks spooked. I LIKE IT.

That's why people need to attack him on his voting record. He voted against increasing people at 311, the institution that's meant to help people cut through the bureaucratic red tape. On the TCHC front, he's also voted against many things that would help the people living in those buildings. For every person that Ford personally responds to, there are at least tens of people who are being bumped to the bottom of the list for their issues. When Ford steps in, he's circumventing the process and he's making people who went through the proper channels wait longer for their issues, while voting against increasing the staff to help those people have their issues solved. The whole picture of what he's doing really shows that he's making things worse for people, not better. While that one person may have been helped, many others won't be or won't be in a timely manner because of Ford.

+1

Also, it's one thing for people to respond to his rhetoric about 'cutting waste, reducing taxes, etc.', but the reality is that he hasn't really done that much in that area. It's been more about cutting spending, cutting revenue and failing to account for anything that might have been done with money found through 'efficiencies' and cutting 'gravy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back