News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Ford be able to gain public support during a strike? It was the last strike that heavily hurt David Miller's support, despite his playing hardball with the union and extracting concessions. Given the union have already offered to accept a 0% wage increase, how is Ford going to gain support by creating another garbage strike - particularly when it's already abundantly clear that it would be happening because he is refusing to negotiate?

Mrs. RRR and I were really in awe as to how many people were livid with Miller during and after the last strike. There's a huge constituency of angry people who just want to be angry. I agree that the union has been more reasonable and a better spinner than Ford, but I don't know how many of Ford Nation are paying attention yet. My sense from the last strike was that tons of people didn't pay attention until their garbage wasn't getting picked up, and at that point they blamed the people not picking up their garbage. I get the sense that Ford is hoping for the same thing -- a lockout will still be spun as 'garbagemen not working', the most cockamamie rules in the current agreement will be trotted out, etc. We'll see if he can pull it off -- Ford's biggest issue in winning this strike is the same one for his budget battles -- the longer he has to defend his plan, the dumber and more intransigent it looks.

My sense from the last strike was that tons of people didn't pay attention until their garbage wasn't getting picked up, and at that point they blamed the people not picking up their garbage. I get the sense that Ford is hoping for the same thing -- a lockout will still be spun as 'garbagemen not working', the most cockamamie rules in the current agreement will be trotted out, etc.
If it was that simple, then Miller's approval rating would not have suffered - and it was the Union that started the strike last time. Based on last time, Ford would suffer badly even IF the union started it. If Ford started it, and given his past failure at getting his message out, I'd expect to see Ford's approval rating drop even further ... if that's even possible. It certainly won't improve his approval rating ... unless there's some kind of miraculous 1-week lockout, and the union simply rolled over.

If it was that simple, then Miller's approval rating would not have suffered - and it was the Union that started the strike last time. Based on last time, Ford would suffer badly even IF the union started it. If Ford started it, and given his past failure at getting his message out, I'd expect to see Ford's approval rating drop even further ... if that's even possible. It certainly won't improve his approval rating ... unless there's some kind of miraculous 1-week lockout, and the union simply rolled over.

People believe what they want to believe; reality has nothing to do with it. Rob Ford has a constituency that hates unions (other than the police union) and wants them to be obliterated. As such, no matter what happens, this constituency (which includes local TV, talk radio, the Sun and the Post) will blame the unions for any ill effects of any labour stoppage. Anti-Miller derangement sydrome operates by a similar mechanism, namely: "I hate Miller and don't bother asking for my rationale".

People believe what they want to believe; reality has nothing to do with it.

A failing many of us suffer from including yourself as illustrated in the rest of your post.

Rob Ford has a constituency that hates unions (other than the police union) and wants them to be obliterated. As such, no matter what happens, this constituency (which includes local TV, talk radio, the Sun and the Post) will blame the unions for any ill effects of any labour stoppage. Anti-Miller derangement sydrome operates by a similar mechanism, namely: "I hate Miller and don't bother asking for my rationale".

Why would Ford be able to gain public support during a strike? It was the last strike that heavily hurt David Miller's support, despite his playing hardball with the union and extracting concessions. Given the union have already offered to accept a 0% wage increase, how is Ford going to gain support by creating another garbage strike - particularly when it's already abundantly clear that it would be happening because he is refusing to negotiate?

i wasnt upset miller was playing hard ball. in fact i applauded it. but i was totally pissed when he settled just so that he could clean up the city and win the Pan Am Games. First of all i dont care if we get the games. 2nd point, I think the union was about to crack and what was the purpose of a huge standoff if we were the ones to cave. i was a miller supporter but this issue made me dang mad. not mad enough to vote for Ford but still mad.

i wasnt upset miller was playing hard ball. in fact i applauded it. but i was totally pissed when he settled just so that he could clean up the city and win the Pan Am Games. First of all i dont care if we get the games. 2nd point, I think the union was about to crack and what was the purpose of a huge standoff if we were the ones to cave. i was a miller supporter but this issue made me dang mad. not mad enough to vote for Ford but still mad.

That was also by far my biggest disappointment of David Miller, and I was a huge Miller fan.

If a labour disruption happens, Ford will have credibility as a guy working for the taxpayer in a way that Miller never could. Just as it takes a Nixon to go to China, it takes a union basher to put us through another protracted strike/lockout. Of course, it could play out very badly for him depending on how long/what result -- or very well for him. I think the result of the 2014 election could be settled one way or another over this.

News flash: Rob Ford may soon be able to walk on a sidewalk near his home. From this link:

Edenbridge Drive Road Reconstruction, New Sidewalk, Watermain and Sewer Replacement

Expected start date: May 2012
Expected completion date: November 2012

This summer the City of Toronto has scheduled road reconstruction of Edenbridge Drive from North Drive to Scarlett Road, including new sidewalks connecting to James Gardens and Scarlett Mills Park.

Public Drop-in Event
To learn more about this project, review design drawings and to speak directly with project staff, we invite you to attend an upcoming public drop-in event:

Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Time: 6 p.m to 8 p.m.
View the Public Notice (includes map of work area and water service replacement details) (PDF)

Construction Detail
The construction work will result in:

• Replacement of storm sewer, sanitary sewer and services. Replacement of watermain and water services where required between Knoll Dr. and North Dr.
  • Full pavement replacement from North Dr. to Knoll Dr. Pavement rehabilitation from Knoll Dr. to Scarlett Rd.
  • Minor realignment of Edenbridge Dr. from North Dr. to south of Erinbrook Ct.
  • New curb and gutter for the west side from North Dr. to south of Erinbrook Ct.
  • Replacement of the existing curb with new curb and gutter on the east side of Edenbridge Dr.
  • New sidewalk on the east side from north of Bearwood Dr. (at James Gardens) to tie into the existing sidewalk south of Erinbrook Ct.
  • Repair of existing sidewalks where required
  • End of driveway repairs where required
  • 5 to 7 boulevard trees will be removed
  • Boulevard improvements including grass and new street trees

This project is part of the Etobicoke York District Technical Services 2012 Capital Works program and is necessary to improve the reliability of the water distribution system and the quality of your drinking water.

Completion of Sidewalk Network
As part of the construction work a new concrete sidewalk will be built to join the existing asphalt walkway in James Gardens to the sidewalk on the east side fo Edenbridge Drive. The City also intends to extend the Edenbridge sidewalk to the parking lot at Scarlett Mills Park across from Knoll Drive.

Disruptions During Construction
In order to complete the sewer, watermain and road reconstruction work in a safe manner, it will be necessary to close Edenbridge Drive to all through traffic. Access for local residents and emergency vehicles will be maintained; although access to driveways will be interrupted from time to time during construction. The contractor is obligated to notify residents and businesses of any temporary driveway closures. The City will make arrangements for parking on side streets at times when driveway access has been interrupted. During water service replacement, water supply will be occasionally interrupted with 24 hour written notice given by the contractor.

Many people have planted landscaping, fences, irrigation systems or other physical features in front of their home which are within the City property limits. These may be in the way of the construction. In such cases, residents are advised to remove these items prior to the beginning of construction in order to avoid unnecessary damage. The City will not be responsible for damage to any privately owned items installed on the City’s property.

Before construction starts, a notice will be issued detailing which streets are available for parking as well as construction timing and name of the contractor. Your co-operation and patience during the construction period is crucial and appreciated.

Rob Ford walking... on a sidewalk... near his home...

Just as it takes a Nixon to go to China, it takes a union basher to put us through another protracted strike/lockout.

??? Nixon could go to China BECAUSE he was a cold warrior. A union basher putting us through a long lockout is exactly the opposite -- it's what you'd EXPECT him to do. And he will, because, quite frankly, he's set it up so the union gains nothing by settliing early, so they should dig in. Which sucks for us city dwellers.

??? Nixon could go to China BECAUSE he was a cold warrior. A union basher putting us through a long lockout is exactly the opposite -- it's what you'd EXPECT him to do. And he will, because, quite frankly, he's set it up so the union gains nothing by settliing early, so they should dig in. Which sucks for us city dwellers.

But k10ery is correct that support for Ford is not based on a rational understanding of the issues, but rather is a faux-visceral reaction as scripted by The Sun et al.

Ford hates unions? That's because unions are bad. Ford bends over for the police union? That's because the police union is good. Gosh I hope Rob Ford crushes the unions. But if the unions don't want to be crushed, its their fault if the city starts to fall apart because Ford wouldn't negotiate.

It's like 2008: "Miller should stand up to the unions, but this garbage stinks, and that's Miller's fault. And it's also Miller's fault for doing something about the stinking garbage. And it's Miller's fault that the union only partially compromised on the sick bank."

??? Nixon could go to China BECAUSE he was a cold warrior. A union basher putting us through a long lockout is exactly the opposite -- it's what you'd EXPECT him to do.

America trusted Nixon to negotiate with Red China because of his cold war credentials. I think Toronto will trust Ford to put us through a hellish work stoppage for the same kind of reasons.

In contrast, Miller dug in against the unions and got us a long strike. In the end, did he get the best possible deal or not? None of us really knows, but because the media told us he was in the pocket of the unions, it was easy for people to believe that Miller's deal was a bad one.

America trusted Nixon to negotiate with Red China because of his cold war credentials. I think Toronto will trust Ford to put us through a hellish work stoppage for the same kind of reasons.

In contrast, Miller dug in against the unions and got us a long strike. In the end, did he get the best possible deal or not? None of us really knows, but because the media told us he was in the pocket of the unions, it was easy for people to believe that Miller's deal was a bad one.

Your thought process is not necessarily right, but it could be. Your analogy is so wrong as to imply exactly the opposite to anyone who understands the point of the phrase, 'only Nixon can go to China.'

Your thought process is not necessarily right, but it could be. Your analogy is so wrong as to imply exactly the opposite to anyone who understands the point of the phrase, 'only Nixon can go to China.'

It's different in some ways but similar in all the important ways. That's why it's a GOOD ANALOGY.

Actually, it's an awesome analogy ;-) . Let's put aside the part about credibility in negotiating with the enemy. Here's all the ways Rob Ford reminds me of Nixon.

foulmouthed drug addict - check
paranoid mistrust of political colleagues - check
did he beat his wife? - check
Nixon and Bebe Rebozo = Bob and Doug
resigned in disgrace before his term was up - we'll see

I'm with Riverdale Rink Rat on this one. A "Nixon going to China" moment would have occurred had Miller (the lefty union-sympathizer) maintained a hard line with the garbage collectors.

The equivalent for Rob Ford, I suppose, would be him be suddenly campaigning for an increase in public housing.

Once you've established your credentials with your base, they will follow you (or at least tolerate being taken) to places that once would have been inconceivable to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back