News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am flabberghasted! :eek: Say it isn't so!

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 1m
I get emails from many fans of TCHC CEO Gene Jones. Tenants seem to like him. He has some similarities with Ford himself.

I'm not sure but why does the CEO of a major city and the CEO of a major residential real estate management company have time to personally interact with their "customers". They aren't paid the big bucks to mingle, they are paid the big bucks to manage...

Ha, I would love to see him sue because he is fired for cause(s), one of which is firing without cause. Go right ahead, it will be worth it.

AoD

I have never seen an employment contract that stipulates firing people without cause is cause to be fired. Even in Canada you can fire anyone you want anytime you chose if you are prepared to pay the consequence, I.e. Severance. Typically negligence, embezzlement, sabotage might be considered cause if you can prove it. And of course because he is an import, we likely paid for his moving costs and may be liable for moving costs back if fired without cause. All conjecture at any rate as I haven't seen his contract, which if I had I could give you a pretty good idea of what the city is in for.

I have never seen an employment contract that stipulates firing people without cause is cause to be fired. Even in Canada you can fire anyone you want anytime you chose if you are prepared to pay the consequence, I.e. Severance. Typically negligence, embezzlement, sabotage might be considered cause if you can prove it. And of course because he is an import, we likely paid for his moving costs and may be liable for moving costs back if fired without cause. All conjecture at any rate as I haven't seen his contract, which if I had I could give you a pretty good idea of what the city is in
for.

I know, but I am just playing the optics here for than anything.

AoD

Yeah, if he could bring down RoFo down with him, it would be great!
Why was an American hired anyway? I am sure there would have been more than enough qualified candidates from Toronto.
I met him once, and he seemed like a career politician type to me: smiling and shaking everyone's hand, but not real.

In order to bring in an American, they would have had to demonstrate as part of the work permit process that no canadian was qualified based on the hiring specs. With the assistance of a good immigration lawyer, and the facts of the previous ouster, it would have been easy to stack the deck in Jones' favour.

I have never seen an employment contract that stipulates firing people without cause is cause to be fired. Even in Canada you can fire anyone you want anytime you chose if you are prepared to pay the consequence, I.e. Severance. Typically negligence....

This would fall under the CEO's "Fiduciary Responsibilities to the Corporation" to limit the corporations exposure to undue liability.

I'm not sure but why does the CEO of a major city and the CEO of a major residential real estate management company have time to personally interact with their "customers". They aren't paid the big bucks to mingle, they are paid the big bucks to manage...

Actually, mingling with the customer is an excellent leadership tool (if used judiciously) to determine what your customers think, feel and want. Just because senior leaders are paid the big bucks, does not mean they should be aloof and inaccessible. It's a lot easier to develop strategy and plan if you know what goes on at all levels. Where Ford and Jones are concerned, mingling with the customers is just a politicking tool though, and not because they actually want to get any real facts so they can actually solve any real problems. JMHO

Ha, I would love to see him sue because he is fired for cause(s), one of which is firing without cause. Go right ahead, it will be worth it.

That's a nice thought, and God knows I hope he'd get his ass handed to him should he ever try such a stunt, but the events of the past few years haven't exactly made me an optimist. Given how weak and ineffectual our laws appear to be when dealing with the likes of Jones and the Fords, it wouldn't surprise me to see the rotten bastard actually win such a court case if it ever came to be. I hate to say that, but Ford's tenure as Mayor has stripped away any confidence I had in local government.

Seriously, is anyone else absolutely shocked at just how open to abuse our system was? In retrospect, it seemed like only a matter of time before someone like Rofo slimed along, and it's all the more shocking because he's far from a master manipulator. The man's little better than a small-time thug and a moron, and his family's not much higher on the evolutionary scale. But he's gotten away with everything so far through nothing but brute force, while the people supposedly standing against him have been utterly contempible in their weakness, cowardice, incompetence and complicity. It's sickening to watch.

Honestly, what genius came up with the "honor system" as a viable method for keeping our politicians in line in local city government? Was it a batch of particularly naive children who decided City Hall could police itself?

This would fall under the CEO's "Fiduciary Responsibilities to the Corporation" to limit the corporations exposure to undue liability.

Unless you can demonstrate that there was reason to terminate without cause. Trust me, as a former VP HR, I've seen it all and know how easily the system can be gamed if you are so inclined.

JD:

The system was never designed with the expectation of someone so blatantly contemptuous of the rules as Fraud is - it had some expectation of self-respect. I think what this incident has bared is the utter inability of the province to provide any moral leadership in events such as these.

I am afraid there is a rather obvious rot in every level of our governance. Peace and order, maybe...good governance? Good riddance.

AoD

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.23.31 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.23.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.23.31 PM.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 713
par for the course

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.33.23 PM.jpg

...tells media he hasn't read report...

That part has a ring of truth to it, which is rare for Doug Jr.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.33.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 1.33.23 PM.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,034
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back