News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The polling about Rob Ford's ' " attractiveness" reminds me of my psychology class in high school. We were asked to rate ourselves on a scale of one to ten. All the girls picked numbers like sixes and sevens, all of the guys picked 10. It was very revealing.

basically, THIS.

These types of polls are basically a popularity contest; it's not about actually answering the question honestly. Lots of straight guys voted for Ford because they wanted him to win. they didn't even consider the question on merit.

I'm a fan of tennis player Roger Federer, and on his website forum, some fans kept urging everyone to vote Federer as the 2013 player of the year on some stupid sports website poll. Now I love Fed and will always support him, but no way was he "player of the year" in 2013; he only won one title and dropped out of the top 5 for the first time in 10 years. Was he my favourite player of 2013? Yes. Was he the best? Of course not. But fans don't care -- they support their guy.

However, that doesn't apply to the "hottest women" section of the poll.
Judging women on their appearance is taken veeerrryy seriously in our society. No "let's support the one we like (as a human being) the best," will be found there.

That's a smart assessment Katt.
And thumbs up to the tennis reference. ;) It's Nadal in this household though.

re your last point; I don't think we'll get to that utopia of being judged as human beings in my lifetime. [sigh!]

The polling about Rob Ford's ' " attractiveness" reminds me of my psychology class in high school. We were asked to rate ourselves on a scale of one to ten. All the girls picked numbers like sixes and sevens, all of the guys picked 10. It was very revealing.

That's sad.
Rating people by attractiveness has reached disturbing levels on youtube with young people, mostly females, posting videos for ratings which inevitably leads to the worst soul-destroying comments you've ever witnessed. People can be so horrid sometimes. It doesn't surprise me at all that girls rate themselves low. Sadly that doesn't get better as we age because the message of our lessening value is very clear in this culture.

We ought not to be rating people for their appearance. Even with him I cringe when people attack his weight. Of all his flaws, his weight has no bearing at all on why I believe he is inappropriate for any public office.

Come on people. Ford's a paying client at a spa. If he wants to leave he can just call a cab (or Lisi) to come and pick him up, he doesn't need to "flee" rehab and bust through a fence.

That's sad.
We ought not to be rating people for their appearance. Even with him I cringe when people attack his weight. Of all his flaws, his weight has no bearing at all on why I believe he is inappropriate for any public office.

Perhaps. However my opinion is that his weight carries over to policy issues. For instance his resentment towards cyclists and runners.

I've always found it incongruous or inconsistent that he claimed to be a football coach and yet remained so antagonist toward fitness activities.

Last edited:
Hah, yeah, I'm not going to believe that story for now. Where would Rob get a car anyway? The Caddy's at home, right?

Although it would be amusing if he went out for a few hours, got drunk, stole a car... :D That would really be an amusing way for all of this to end.

This is a comment from a redditor on the Kevin Donovan article that I hadn't heard before:
radickulous 19 points 1 day ago

Holy shit. Back when Ford was running for mayor, I heard from a buddy in the news business that he was a cokehead, his wife was a heroin addict and that he had his friends sleep with her. I can't believe it's all true

I've posted the info a few times since the crack story broke, I should drum up the first time I mentioned it

@goldsbie: SNL: Rob Ford said that "rehab reminds him of 'football camp.' But only because he wanted to quit both after taking less than 12 steps."

Hahaha. We need this SNL clip :D

That's not cool at all. How the hell did they know Lisi was assessed there? Aren't these things medical records?? Kinda scary, hope it came from a source and not the actual place.

Indeed, there are provincial privacy records. But it is highly unlikely VN gave the info out themselves.

Vita Nova is an odd duck program. It has a residential program, but there are also transitional residential programs. People -- former residents/alumni --
would be in and out of there a lot. In addition, there are inquiry groups, after care groups -- if Lisi came in for an assessment and got the tour, it would be a simple thing
for one resident who is there at the time to phone the star and say "that Lisi guy was here!". And an assessment is just a fancy way of saying "hey, come check the place out".

It's probably much less formal than it implies.

On a side note, Vita Nova has a poor reputation in some ways. At one point in history, it was related to Caritas, but donations/politics/theories/personalities caused a split that was never healed. Vita Nova was makrted as the "kinder, gentler" version of Caritas. In fact a lot on their website seems written as if to specifically contradict Caritas' methods.

But the big problem seemed to be that I have met many, many addicts who claimed that drugs were rampant at VN, even in the residential program. Alumni brought them in or something like that. In the words of one client I had, who had done Vita Nova "I needed rehab after rehab because I was high the whole 3 months".

This is not first hand, however, just based on people's experiences that they related to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back