News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, income tax could be considered a form of consumption tax, because the obsession with "making money" in our overly capitalist system is something that needs to be reined in to a certain degree.

Yes, by all means 'rein in' the 'obsession with making money' let's make sure more people are middle class and poor. Heaven forbid people make lots of money.

Hey, if you want to move a few miles every few years, it might actually make financial sense. Renters, of course, pay property tax too, just not directly.

Renters actually pay almost 3x the amount property tax that homeowners pay. It's a silent injustice that does not get anywhere near the attention it warrants.

Yes, by all means 'rein in' the 'obsession with making money' let's make sure more people are middle class and poor. Heaven forbid people make lots of money.

What motives a person to strive to achieve beyond the bare minimum if not the pursuit of wealth? Sure personal sense of accomplishment can inspire to an extent but I think the biggest motivator is money.

Whoah.

OK, evil might be a bit strong of a word to use. I'll give you that. I won't give you the idea that consumption tax is worse than income taxation though.

I know how municipalities are funded...doesn't make it right.

Targeted consumption taxes as a replacement for income taxes is what I'm talking about. Meaning that the revenue needed to cover our social services comes from a different place. I'm not for lower taxes at all and I very much appreciate the services that are paid for by those taxes. I just think we need to shift the point where we give the money up.

And, for the record: anyone who would label me a conservative thinker would probably eat more than just their hat if they spent a couple of days with me. I'm more like an urban hippy pirate wannabe anarchist if we need to use labels around here, thankyouverymuch.

And I stand by my opinion of income taxation being feudalistic and wrong.

And yes, hawc, I'm all for income-geared user fees IF replacing income taxation.

Oh, and before anyone gets any bright ideas: I'm not one to complain about my taxes being used to help my neighbour, so to speak. Nor do i complain about my taxes being used on services i never need. I was starting to get the impression that my thoughts on taxation here construed me as one of those types. Just saying.

Last edited:

If you could pry yourself away from that sarcasm party you're having, I'd like to point out that Reaganomics was an utter failure.

And, for the record: anyone who would label me a conservative thinker would probably eat more than just their hat if they spent a couple of days with me. I'm more like an urban hippy pirate wannabe anarchist if we need to use labels around here, thankyouverymuch.

And what makes you think the conservative-thinking mind is relegated to the card-carrying conservative? Most conservative-thinkers certainly don't self-identify as such.

If you could pry yourself away from that sarcasm party you're having, I'd like to point out that Reaganomics was an utter failure.
No, it was a mixed bag. Reagan did quite well taming massively high interest rates and inflation, but he also ran high deficits (his highest was 6% of GDP in 1983).

No, it was a mixed bag. Reagan did quite well taming massively high interest rates and inflation, but he also ran high deficits (his highest was 6% of GDP in 1983).

The gist of the failure was that by lowering taxes & regulations on the rich and the corporations (and Wall Street), everyone would benefit. Of course this will create more money in the economy, but it won't "triclke down"...it will just create more greed and corruption. That's why it will melt down eventually....and did.

Of course there was not less government and less government spending as their ideology says...there was more of both....only instead of things that benefit society, they spend $trillions on military & bailing out corporate greed gone awry by essentially nationalizing the financial & auto industry.

And that's what I mean by "reining in" capitalism.

Great quotes from this article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1159303--mayor-rob-ford-versus-the-lawyers

“I think (Ford) is doing bad, bad things,” Ruby said. “It’s not a left-right thing . . . He came in as a bully determined to demonize anyone who disagrees with him, and is a person whose approach to governance is not what I think is in the Canadian public interest.

“If Mayor Ford gets a pass, for whatever reason he may advance, why would everyone not get a pass, and then integrity doesn’t have the importance that the legislation of Ontario placed on it.”

Thanks for the political science theory lesson, but I'm a free-thinker if anything.

Last edited:
Great quotes from this article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1159303--mayor-rob-ford-versus-the-lawyers

“I think (Ford) is doing bad, bad things,” Ruby said. “It’s not a left-right thing . . . He came in as a bully determined to demonize anyone who disagrees with him, and is a person whose approach to governance is not what I think is in the Canadian public interest.

“If Mayor Ford gets a pass, for whatever reason he may advance, why would everyone not get a pass, and then integrity doesn’t have the importance that the legislation of Ontario placed on it.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhal...uncil-defies-ford-on-contracting-out-cleaners

And now he's lost total control of his council as well. If he can't get them to outsource janitorial services, which demonstrably hits on all of his populist conservative bonafides as it shrinks government, costs less, and there are lots of possible bidders, he won't be able to get them to do anything at all. It could even be more efficient, depending on the operator selected.

This is the cost of his bullying manner and quixotic transit campaign in the face of facts.

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhal...uncil-defies-ford-on-contracting-out-cleaners
This is the cost of his bullying manner and quixotic transit campaign in the face of facts.

Really a good encapsulation of the situation, RRR. As of this point in time, after having read all accounts of this in the various journals, I am left wondering what our Mayor Ford is thinking at this time, given that he's human. He ain't feelin' the love, that's for sure. I wonder why he sticks around. It's going to be pure punishment for Ford over and over. I know that I couldn't take this if I were Rob Ford.

Deputy mayor Doug Holyday, still a Ford supporter, takes the cake today, though. Get this quote (from Globe and Mail), it's just a beauty:

“My advice to the taxpayer would be don’t send us any more activists, don’t send us any more unionists, don’t send us any more cyclists,” Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday said. “Send us some people down here with good common sense who just want to manage the city’s affairs. That’s what’s needed.”​

Last edited:
Well said...+1

“My advice to the taxpayer would be don’t send us any more activists, don’t send us any more unionists, don’t send us any more cyclists,” Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday said. “Send us some people down here with good common sense who just want to manage the city’s affairs. That’s what’s needed.”

Well said...+1

“My advice to the taxpayer would be don’t send us any more activists, don’t send us any more unionists, don’t send us any more cyclists,” Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday said. “Send us some people down here with good common sense who just want to manage the city’s affairs. That’s what’s needed.”

AG, did you just thumbs up in support of Holyday's statement?

^ Let me assure you all I was chiding the above by Holiday. It clearly shows a person who is lost, entirely.

Last edited:
A good quote from Clayton Ruby. I can't imagine how Ford is sleeping nights.

As for Holyday, I've wanted to respect him, but a lot of his behaviour as of late - and now this quote - makes me think he's off to the glue factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back