8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
smallMain_16_638.jpg

Makes a damned fine avatar, too, so I was really torn, but in the end I went with the gum because it helped with quitting.

Attachments

• smallMain_16_638.jpg
    smallMain_16_638.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 569
As Doug said very recently, "He's not in prison."

Yet.

The four Canadian warships I would like to add are:

HMCS Fort Erie

HMCS Ungava

HMCS Lockeport

HMCS Fundy

My name is on the HMCS Huron's christening bell, the bell is now located at the Naden museum in Esquimalt BC. I think it was sad that they used her own guns to sink her. You can watch her being sunk by the HMCS Algonquin
(On YouTube )

"...other had a birthday greeting written in marker on a bedsheet hanging in front of the Wexford strip mall in the heart of Scarborough."

OMG I was just kidding when I said it looked like that!

Who says this thread is mostly crazy speculation? Now we're learning naval history, all facts. Thanks Pud, for keeping this thread interesting even when there isn't any news. I wonder if Doug Sr. had served in the military, if the family myth-making would have made him a decorated war hero who single-handedly saved his entire platoon from enemy fire in Korea or something like that.

Yeah - something like Major Kong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSQAZEp3PA

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

( Was originally Dallas. But, could also be Muskoka. )

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

( Was originally Dallas. But, could also be Muskoka. )

Strictly, it is "two boxes of amanition"! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwW7RaPO_g

My name is on the HMCS Huron's christening bell, the bell is now located at the Naden museum in Esquimalt BC. I think it was sad that they used her own guns to sink her. You can watch her being sunk by the HMCS Algonquin
(On YouTube )

Man, the things that are making their way on-line. From the christening bells project: http://navalandmilitarymuseum.org/resource_pages/bells/bell_details.asp?Shipname=Huron

Can't find "Angelunatic" on the list though!

For centuries, ship's bells have played both a practical and symbolic role in the life of naval vessels and their crews.

One of the most memorable traditions for sailors and their families involves the use of ship's bells as baptismal fonts for shipboard christenings.
Children of the ship's company baptized according to this custom can also have their names inscribed on the ship's bell. Since the shipboard bell is considered such a significant part of the ship's equipment and history, this is both an honour and a privilege.
Unfortunately, an individual searching for her or his name on a specific bell from a ship of Canada's Navy may be in for a time-consuming task. The business of tracking down the actual bell itself can prove difficult.
Since a ship's bell is among its most significant artifacts, when a ship decommissions, there is demand from many quarters for this item. Bells may go to naval and civilian museums for safe-keeping and display. In the case of Canadian ships named for towns and cities, the 'home' community sometimes receives the bell, and shows it off at city hall. For example, the city of Miramichi is now in possession of HMCS MIRAMICHI's bell. On occasion, bells end up in unlikely places like retail stores or even in private hands.
Christening information for a person or ship can be retrieved using the search request form at the bottom of this page.

To simplify things, CFB Esquimalt Naval and Military Museum is in the process of making information on the inscriptions from bells it holds in its collection accessible through this web site. Christening information from the bells held by the Museum is being entered into a searchable data archive that is accessible to any interested web site visitors. The accessible information for each of the bells entered into this archive includes the names of the ship, current location of the bell, and each child's name and date of his or her christening.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.51.54 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.52.16 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.51.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.51.54 PM.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 613
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.52.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 2.52.16 PM.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 607
That Wormingtongue article might be the worst thing he's ever written (which is truly saying a lot).

I bet he thought this was clever:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

Hey Joe---> It Wasn't.

Daniel Dale @ddale8 · 3m
After the Leafs game on April 5, Mayor Rob Ford brought two men he apparently met on the sidewalk to city hall with him. (1/3)

Daniel Dale @ddale8 · 1m
Mayor Ford greeted the two new friends in the city hall parking garage. (2/3)
Bo57rHdIEAA8sn_.jpg

Daniel Dale @ddale8 · 21s
As they waited for elevator, one of Mayor Ford's new friends tried to photograph or film him behind his back. (3/3)
Bo5746LIAAAnEPV.jpg

Attachments

• Bo57rHdIEAA8sn_.jpg
    Bo57rHdIEAA8sn_.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Bo5746LIAAAnEPV.jpg
    Bo5746LIAAAnEPV.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 710
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back