News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is also still expressing aggressive behaviour when he is angry, he should have learned about assertive vs aggressive communication.
Also do you feel that alcoholics are born that way? Or is it caused by a combination of things like environment, family history learned behaviour, poor coping skills etc... Or a combination?
Just like there is evidence that there are genes for cancer, not all people with those genes get cancer.
I know that there have been alcoholic genes identified, But research also shows there are many variables on the cause. What I am unsure of is what is taught in AA.
I think that Rob is doomed because if he truly believes he was born this way, then he has no reason to think he is accountable for anything, because he can't help it.

Are addicts born addicts? Are they addicts forever?

There are two major schools of thought, McGary said: One is that substance abuse is a medical disease and that a person is born with it. Rob Ford most likely went through a medical-based treatment program. The other major school of thought is that substance abuse is a psycho-social condition. This means that it is a learned behaviour and therefore can be unlearned. Either way, McGary says, the person needs to deal with it for the rest of their lives.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1428869/rob-ford-fact-check-are-the-mayors-addiction-statements-true/

reporterdonpeat 7:59pm via Twitter Web Client
"We feel the mayor has said everything" Mayor Rob Ford's staff explaining why he has cancelled his interview with The Toronto Sun.

If Graeme watches Twitter like a hawk, does he watch UT also? Maybe he got the "the mayor has said everything" idea here first?
viz

the age old lyric of "third verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse" runs through my head every time either Ford opens their mouth.

Just watched the same interview twice (with two different interviewers).

Kind of sad, especially if you watch both interviews back to back and see him repeating lines multiple times.

He sounds like a guy who just read up on what rehab is and he memorized some of the key words. He very clearly doesn't actually understand them.

A little convo on CBC radio a few minutes ago. They counted how many times RF said the "disease" in today's interview, and talked about how he can't get away with trying to blame everything on that.

FWIW

Acrossthewater posted a YouTube link to "shirtless jogger" at around 10ish this morning. I clicked it but didn't get around to watching it until now. It had approx 10k views this morning. Now it is at 45k.

He is also still expressing aggressive behaviour when he is angry, he should have learned about assertive vs aggressive communication.
Also do you feel that alcoholics are born that way? Or is it caused by a combination of things like environment, family history learned behaviour, poor coping skills etc... Or a combination?
Just like there is evidence that there are genes for cancer, not all people with those genes get cancer.
I know that there have been alcoholic genes identified, But research also shows there are many variables on the cause. What I am unsure of is what is taught in AA.
I think that Rob is doomed because if he truly believes he was born this way, then he has no reason to think he is accountable for anything, because he can't help it.

Everything he has demonstrated in demeanour and comments since June 30 illustrates a tentative step towards Step 1 - acceptance that he is powerless over alcohol/drugs.

If he practiced a twelve-step program the way I learned it from going to free church basement meetings around Toronto, there is no way he burned through all 12 steps in (maybe?) 60 days and is rehabilitated mentally and physically enough to resume the role of mayor, let alone campaign to be re-elected.

In response to Angelunatic's questions:
Personally, I believe that susceptibility to alcohol abuse/dependence is based a variety of factors including predisposition (genetic) and precipitating factors (stress and frustration due to low executive functioning in the mayor's job).

I think AA is helpful for some people who need a "sober community" but are otherwise able to function well in other aspects of their lives (career, family, health). For some with more complex challenges around staying sober, it is unable to substitute for the professional support needed, but can provide a valuable community support. As a woman diagnosed as an adult with Asperger's/ASD, AA was not, on its own, the best approach to dealing with my alcohol abuse. That said, there is good wisdom in some of the experience-based teachings in AA which can otherwise complement an addiction treatment program.

On topic:
One thing AA emphasizes is taking responsibility for your actions, both past and going forward. For example, Step 4 is to take a moral inventory of all the wrongs you have done, and to make amends to those wronged. Rob Ford has a mighty list, if he did Step 4 honestly, which arguably includes the people of Toronto. A holiday weekend stump speech doesn't count. Personally I did not complete Step 4, so I am unable to comment on whether Rob demonstrates any understanding of later steps.

Last edited:
A Ford supporter at city hall pushed some media people. Just saw it in twitter.

Last edited:

There are two major schools of thought, McGary said: One is that substance abuse is a medical disease and that a person is born with it. Rob Ford most likely went through a medical-based treatment program. The other major school of thought is that substance abuse is a psycho-social condition. This means that it is a learned behaviour and therefore can be unlearned. Either way, McGary says, the person needs to deal with it for the rest of their lives.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1428869/rob-ford-fact-check-are-the-mayors-addiction-statements-true/

Thanks, the link is pretty informative. He shows no sign that he truly understands how unfit he is to be the mayor.
His interview (s) was more of him going through the motions, saying what will get him in the least amount of trouble with his supporters. I hope that they can see through him, but I made the mistake of reading The Toronto Sun comments and it looks like there are a few hangers on in Ford nation. They all seem to be addicted to being angry.

Everything he has demonstrated in demeanour and comments since June 30 illustrates a tentative step towards Step 1 - acceptance that he is powerless over alcohol/drugs.

If he practiced a twelve-step program the way I learned it from going to free church basement meetings around Toronto, there is no way he burned through all 12 steps in (maybe?) 60 days and is rehabilitated mentally and physically enough to resume the role of mayor, let alone campaign to be re-elected.

In response to Angelunatic's questions:
Personally, I believe that susceptibility to alcohol abuse/dependence is based a variety of factors including predisposition (genetic) and precipitating factors (stress and frustration due to low executive functioning in the mayor's job).

I think AA is helpful for some people who need a "sober community" but are otherwise able to function well in other aspects of their lives (career, family, health). For some with more complex challenges around staying sober, it is unable to substitute for the professional support needed, but can provide a valuable community support. As a woman diagnosed as an adult with Asperger's/ASD, AA was not, on its own, the best approach to dealing with my alcohol abuse. That said, there is good wisdom in some of the experience-based teachings in AA which can otherwise complement an addiction treatment program.

On topic:
One thing AA emphasizes is taking responsibility for your actions, both past and going forward. For example, Step 4 is to take a moral inventory of all the wrongs you have done, and to make amends to those wronged. Rob Ford has a mighty list, if he did Step 4 honestly, which arguably includes the people of Toronto. A holiday weekend stump speech doesn't count. Personally I did not complete Step 4, so I am unable to comment on whether Rob demonstrates any understanding of later steps.

Thank you for this answer, it is most helpful.

Mayor Rob Ford confronted by shirtless jogger

Joe Killoran, the so-called 'shirtless jogger' who confronted Mayor Rob Ford at a Canada Day parade, says that he believes the chief magistrate's term as mayor has been 'disgraceful.' (CBC)

"I think it's demoralizing, depressing for citizens of this city that this sideshow continues, he continues to inflict himself upon us," Killoran said.

Killoran said that he feels for people who struggle with addiction, though he said Ford cannot point to a substance abuse problem to explain all of his behaviours.

"I don't think he was drunk every time he refused to go to the Pride parade, repeatedly year after year. I don't think he was drunk when he made the disgusting comment about having more than enough to eat at home," said Killoran, who believes the mayor must be held accountable for his behaviour.

"The fact that he delivered a campaign speech the other day, after his apology, was outrageous," said Killoran.

"He believes he has done a good job as mayor. Consider that for a moment — he thinks he's done a good enough job to be re-elected as mayor and that to me doesn't speak to a humility or a willingness to ask for forgiveness. That speaks to an arrogance."

It appears that Killoran won't be voting for the incumbent.

"His term has been disgraceful and if he won't realize that, then I don't see what place he has in the race," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...calls-rob-ford-s-record-disgraceful-1.2694608

So clue me in, what's the "indoctrinated" thing everybody talking about. What does that mean? I know what it means, but indoctrinated in what?

DoFo has claimed that Shirtless Joe has been "indoctrinating" his students to hate Rob Ford. Doug is all-seeing and knows what goes on in every classroom in the city.

Rob Ford's Return (June 30, 2014 - )

Rob can't help that he was born blonde. It's a condition that he'll have to live with until he dies unless, of course, he grows grey or bald.

Certainly do not wish it and, in fact, hope for some sane, caring people to intervene and prevent it, but my gut tells me this all gonna go beyond Pete Tong to Bud Dwyer. Obviously, it will not be Doug to play human here. He appears too busy with 'triangumulations' and Sixing the Sigma. But it sure feels like the 'sure-fire redemption narrative' is hitting those opening night shakey-shakes. And if Plan C (V.4) is calling reporters 'jihadists', and losing your shit on TeeVee (WTG, Doug) the play chart is looking all run out. This cannot end well.

Reality TV jokes aside, an intervention - Family? TPS? Spiderman? Ghost of Christmas Future? - should probably occur. Save the man's GD life.

"I was born with blonde hair, I will die with blonde hair". - Rob Ford, 07/02/14

So Ford has reneged twice on an interview with Leslie Roberts now? He was pretty upset the first time, let's see what his reaction is this time.

The Shit Storm is really brewing here. It'll be interesting to see what the next move by the Ford's will be, as they are obviously going back to the starting board. It's obvious that they weren't expecting the overwhelming invective coming from the public and media.

Also this could just signal that another huge bomb is about to drop.

Leslie Roberts was just on 640 explaining the circumstances behind the cancelled interviews today.

Doug Ford promised interviews to five outlets ten days ago. This morning Doug called to cancel the of them. Once he was pressed about breaking his word, he passed the buck to Silverstein.

The official answer was that Ford had a busy day and the media should give him a break because he just got out of rehab! Roberts pointed out the absurdity of a man who thinks he can run a mega city but is too fragile to do an extra three ten minute interviews.

I'm sure the real answer is, they've lost control of the message, and that he's not being hailed as a conquering hero. It comforts me to imagine the thousands the Fords must have spent during that past few months on their "PR" strategy, only to have it derailed by an eloquent jogger, and persistent bunch of enraged East York citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back