News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Maybe that's why RoFo was touring the Money Marts of Muskoka. Sandro doesn't strike me as guy who likes to do things through bank branches. (Also, how slow off the mark am I today? Surely someone around here put these dots together long ago.)

Not saying, that people who use Moneymarts are ALL scumbags, just that it's statistically probable.

But it's not. You don't show up late every day to a job you love; you don't take off from a job you love on a regular basis for your own personal reasons while creating a lie that it's somehow related to said job; You don't treat the office of the job you love as a place to get drunk or sleep on the couch and hide away from your responsibilities. You respect a job you love.

He loves the trappings of the office, of being a Big Shot, and (more importantly) of being thought of as a Big Shot. It occurs to me that his idea of being Mayor really isn't that different from his pathetic fantasies of being a gangsta. In both instances, he's a "player." That's all that really matters to him. He obviously doesn't care for all that boring crap that comes with the substance of the position, but the surface gloss is what really appeals to him.

Well, that and lording it over his perceived enemies, and rubbing their faces in the dirt. Looked at from that angle, it's little wonder he wants to hold onto City Hall like grim death; it's the only way he can stick it to all those filthy elitists who are uncouth enough to want to hold him responsible for his actions.

Rob Ford fact-check: Are the mayor’s addiction statements true?

By Laura Broadley Global News

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gave his first interviews since getting out of rehab on Wednesday. We talked to some addiction experts to fact-check the mayor’s statements on his disease.

Does substance abuse make you say racist, homophobic or sexist things if you aren’t racist, homophobic or sexist?

No. Chronic substance users are often exaggerated versions of themselves, meaning that their values are only exaggerated – not created by alcohol and/or drugs, says Dr. Paul McGary, from Lakeride Health’s Pinewood Centre. Substance abusers may say things that are out of line but genuinely felt, meaning those sentiments won’t change with treatment. So while Ford may have been more vocal about his biases as an addict, he can’t blame those biases on alcohol or drugs.

Is lying a symptom of substance abuse, even if it’s unrelated to the addiction itself?

Kind of. Addicts try to shape their lives around their addictions. They often lie about things related to their addiction so that they can continue to abuse, says Dr. Oren Amitay, a registered psychologist. And addiction can also indicate a certain personality type: People with substance abuse problems can have trouble handling internal or external stressors, Amitay says, so they lie to avoid uncomfortable feelings. If treatment helps deal with inner anguish that rids them of their addiction, the lying will often cease as well. And addictions counsellor Mark Elliot says an addict could lie about anything and everything, including corruption allegations or money saved while in office.

Are addicts born addicts? Are they addicts forever?

There are two major schools of thought, McGary said: One is that substance abuse is a medical disease and that a person is born with it. Rob Ford most likely went through a medical-based treatment program. The other major school of thought is that substance abuse is a psycho-social condition. This means that it is a learned behaviour and therefore can be unlearned. Either way, McGary says, the person needs to deal with it for the rest of their lives.

What’s the likelihood of relapse after 60 days of inpatient treatment?

Pretty high. Relapse is the norm, especially for addicts coming out of their first treatment, Amitay said. People attending rehab for the first time often enter at the wrong time in their battle against addiction. The average is six to seven serious attempts at change before a person is successful, McGary says. So that could mean one attempt for some people while others could go through 30 attempts before they’re successful.

Mark Elliot thinks Ford may be overconfident in his ability to stay sober. Elliot points to Ford’s desire to stay in control and remain mayor as evidence he may not be ready. “He’s addicted to being mayor.”

Last edited:
Screenshot 2014-07-02 18.49.37.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-02 18.49.37.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-02 18.49.37.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 737
And to think that Doug Ford is the smart one in the family...

:confused:

Ever since Alcoholia gained independence from Greater Melancholia, those poor Alcoholics have been systematically stigmatized and demonized. The Melancholics, meanwhile, have sided with Eurasia, with whom we have not always been at war.

Well, that and lording it over his perceived enemies, and rubbing their faces in the dirt. Looked at from that angle, it's little wonder he wants to hold onto City Hall like grim death; it's the only way he can stick it to all those filthy elitists who are uncouth enough to want to hold him responsible for his actions.

Those filthy elitists who are also uncouth enough to not want to be his friend, hang with him ya know, accept him on a social or intellectual level.

He's got nothing if he's not the mayor. The best gig in town for feeding a lack of self-worth.

It's always been about his ego, from my perspective. It's always about him. "I love being the Mayor" and "I love the City of Toronto". Me me me. He hasn't shown any love whatsoever. His words are hollow.

Leslie Roberts was just on 640 explaining the circumstances behind the cancelled interviews today.

Doug Ford promised interviews to five outlets ten days ago. This morning Doug called to cancel the of them. Once he was pressed about breaking his word, he passed the buck to Silverstein.

The official answer was that Ford had a busy day and the media should give him a break because he just got out of rehab! Roberts pointed out the absurdity of a man who thinks he can run a mega city but is too fragile to do an extra three ten minute interviews.

Also eventually they agreed to shoot the other three tomorrow. We'll see if that happens after today's fiasco.

Screenshot 2014-07-02 19.03.55.jpg

This after RoFo and DoFo and their staff were huddled for some time in a corner of the Exec Comm meeting room, to the point of missing a vote. Something going on?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-02 19.03.55.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-02 19.03.55.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 816
He left for the day early on his second day back, apparently after the exec voted to extend the meeting.

Ever since Alcoholia gained independence from Greater Melancholia, those poor Alcoholics have been systematically stigmatized and demonized. The Melancholics, meanwhile, have sided with Eurasia, with whom we have not always been at war.

You mean "Euphoria" don't you?

I noticed Rob going into his office wearing his gym clothes. I guess that means he has a private shower?

Anyway, I don't remember reading this, but I came across another story about showers at City Hall from last year that some may find of interest. My apologies to those who may have already seen it.

"Doug Ford: City Hall bike station showers will be 'bathhouse' "
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/10/toronto-city-council-wades-into-pool-debate

He left for the day early on his second day back, apparently after the exec voted to extend the meeting.

You have to admit though, the Fords somehow managed to pack a week's worth of crazy into just one short day.

Last edited:
You have to admit though, the Fords somehow managed to pack in a week's worth of crazy into just one short day.

Too true! I have people from the US sending me the Kimmel links, finding it soooo funny. sigh Sadly, its our reality, not a reality show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back