News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we stop with the stereotyping of Scarborough? These aholes came from around the city. I lived in Scarborough for the first 20 years I was in Toronto and almost no one I associated with would be a Ford supporter. My sons are related to the Thomsons (no p) and had ancestors who owned the land which now hosts Scarborough General. These people are probably spinning in their graves at St. Andrews. Sorry, personal peeve.
To be clear, I felt dirty for spending too much time in Scarborough because of its urban form, not because of the people that live there.

If she's posting and interacting on a public twitter feed then I'd say she's fair game - to a point. Nobody's harassing her or anything.

This isn't addressed to you, Animatronic, you're the just the latest one to use this phrase and it reminded me of some earlier feelings I had: I think part of my problem with what Ford has helped turn us all into can be seen in the way we here in this thread consider whether or not somebody is "fair game". It's as if, by default, we're at-the-ready to mock, make fun of, and criticize any peripheral figure in this whole Ford fiasco as soon as they do or say something that we decide makes them fair game. It's an ugly state of mind that I blame partially on Ford and partially on all of us.

See, this kind of thinking plays right into Ford's hand. He loves division. He loves seeing the City ripped apart into those who support him and those who don't. Having a dust-up between supporters and protestors at the park is great for him. It plays right into the narrative he has created in his head. To him, the city is not a single entity that can be brought together or torn apart - it's just turf. It's real estate to be won or lost. Ford Nation is his football team and the Gravy Train is their opponent. Team Gravy Train of course covers everything Ford Nation stands against, no matter what the actual topic. Toronto is nothing more than the gridiron upon which his Ford Nation vs Gravy Train perpetual Super Bowl is played. He doesn't care about the city because he sees half of its inhabitants as the enemy. We all lose if we simply agree to line up on the other side of the ball and try to "win" in the same way he does. We need to change our way of thinking. Or at least I think I do.

On the other hand, if anyone wants to give me some free hamburgers, I will be happy to chuck this whole notion and carry whatever sign you hand me. :)

Can we stop with the stereotyping of Scarborough? These aholes came from around the city. I lived in Scarborough for the first 20 years I was in Toronto and almost no one I associated with would be a Ford supporter. My sons are related to the Thomsons (no p) and had ancestors who owned the land which now hosts Scarborough General. These people are probably spinning in their graves at St. Andrews. Sorry, personal peeve.

Me too. I didn't want to say anything but yeah man, These are special Torontonians that are Ford folks. Scarborough may have some turf issues but even in those communities there is spirit and REGULAR non political and pretty cool people.
This is and has always been my home and we have a lot of amazing history, community groups, parks and a shit ton of great neighbourhoods with gorgeous gardens. Everyone has pride in their homes.

Seriously guys. Scarborough has a lot to offer and we are not at all Ford Nation. We are just all about a free hamburger. And maybe a bit of badassery but not at all about being dickheads.

Yeah, I live in Scarborough and it is quite nice for the most part. Well, aside from the rather high frequency of bad drivers and car accidents...

There really should be a pilgrimage / meet and greet at Steak Queen or Sully Gorman's.

As far as notoriety, Etobicoke has had more than it's fair share recently! :D

drive-bys are sufficient. no need to fund ford nation supporters.

I think we gotta be careful when talking about drive-bys and the Fords, cause you never know. ;P But your point is valid enough. It did make me rethink of how to do a stupor pilgrimage without giving money to those who actively support Ford. I'm pretty bad with geography, but considering this is a stupor pilgrimage, I think this will actually help instead of hinder. Think 'Family Circus' where's Billy type of map\chart.

-McDees burgers take out, combined with a Jamaican beef patty for a merryl meal. Punching someone for real with said bag of burgers is not recommended, or endorsed.
-Pouring a 'shot' of gatorade at a park, to symbolize the MINO's um, penchant for dropping off empties so to speak.
-Basement with a couple of pops, and a hidden Iphone somewhere, and spinning yourself in place to simulate the 'dranken stupor', should not be done if the pilgrim has medical issues such as vertigo, or rage issues.
-The Robhab experience. Drive by a MoneyMart, pretend kicking a wall, buy a bunch of bananas. And selfies, lotsa selfies.
-The Ford Nation neck massage: get a novelty WERE#1 giant foam hands, another willing participant clad in a rainbow flag, and 'pretend' choke hold the other participant with said foam hands.

OMG the cbc report on Ford Fest made it look like a cute little BBQ....they didn't show the pic of that dude being strangled, only a picture of the dude talking to a cop as they said he "claimed to be assaulted". Then cut to Doug saying 99.9% of EVERYONE had a great time. And then cut to Rob WINKING at the camera.

I am so nauseous now.

I just got home from the Ford Freak Fest and I cannot believe the shit I heard and the f-ed up conversations I had. It was so depressing, it's hard not to lose faith in humanity. I decided to go once I read here that there were going to be gay protesters, I figured that might make some interesting video footage but I never saw any protesters at all. I had intended not to get in any debates with anybody. I figured I'd just film a bit, try one of the hamburgers (which I did not get to taste because there is no way am I standing in line for 90 minutes for a crap burger) and then head home but after about 30 minutes of pure bull-sit, I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up getting into about 10 conversations, that escalated to heated debates. It's interesting what Ford Nationals do when they lose a debate. lol They just turn around and walk away in disgust, still hollering.

My assessment of Ford Nation after spending 3 hours with them is a combination of mental illness, mental retardation, delusion, hopelessness, very badly informed and very, very angry at the world. It seems everyone is taking what should belong to them. In other words, everyone's a thief or a cheater. The rich are bad and the poor are, well, there is no poor, just well off people who go on welfare to get money.

Here are some strange facts I learned from Ford Nationals.

1 - 50% of rich people get free food at food banks every month.

2 - Most of the people waiting 1.5 hours in line to get a hamburger, are actually wealthy or at least well off.

3 - If you have any allergy, you can get approval from your doctor to receive 1.000 dollars a month from the government. (not sure which level of government) You don't need to get on disability or anything, you just get a report from your doctor.

4 - David Miller stole millions of dollars from tax payers money. Nobody explained how he did it or why he was not charged but he did it.

5 - Rich people like Kraft Dinner and Spam. See, they really are just like you and me!

6 - Bill Clinton did more hard drugs than Ford and nobody cared.

7 - Rob Ford never did drugs or drank alcohol while on the job and whatever he does on his own time, is his own business and does not effect his job.

8 - Canada and ALL Canadian politicians are corrupt and stealing our money, except for Rob Ford, who is an "honest" man. Seriously, people said that with a straight face and I just couldn't help but want to bang my head against a wall. Actually, I felt like I was doing just that.

These people are truly hopeless and helpless. I just don't think they have the reasoning skills to understand how things work. Not one of them even knew what the population of Toronto was. I asked a few simple questions about Toronto, that the average person should know but not a single one of them knew simple things like who was the first mayor of the Megga-City or who was the last mayor of Scarborough, North York or Etobicoke. Nobody could name the 5 cities/boroughs that used to make up Metropolitan Toronto. (before amalgamation) Not one person I spoke to could answer any question I asked them, yet they said they now more about Toronto than I did. lol People kept saying things like "you don't know what you're talking about " or "You don't understand how Toronto is". Almost all these people were not born in Toronto, yet they are telling me I don't know what's really happening in my own city.

If you point out they're wrong, you are in for a fight. I'm lucky I didn't get my ass kicked because a few times I felt things might go that way. Thank god the police were close by.

This is just some of the stupid shit I had people tell me, at Ford Fest.

Another thing I learned is that NOBODY at Ford Fest wants to debate on camera or even be filmed. I had more people ask me not to film them, than I have at the last 50 events I've filmed put together. Nobody would allow me to film our debates, probably because they said some really stupid things. This whole experience just left me feeling sick. The way people were screaming and cheering for him, as if he was Brad Pitt, just turned my stomach.

It was quite an eye-opening but disheartening, experience. It makes me nervous about the coming election.

I will be making a video of the event and I'll post it here, when I can stomach editing it.

Last edited:
When, in Toronto's history, has a mayoral campaign resulted in violence against any group? Throttling a LGBT supporter? Ford is creating divisiveness in our city, just as we were approaching all-inclusiveness. It saddens me to no end.

I just got home from the Ford Freak Fest and I cannot believe the shit I heard and the f-ed up conversations I had. It was so depressing, it's hard not to lose faith in humanity.
It was quite an eye-opening but disheartening, experience. It makes me nervous about the coming election.

<snip>

I will be making a video of the event and I'll post it here, when I can stomach editing it.

I totally agree and this is why I think he will get in again. We are in for a big fight if he doesn't. All these people will stroke the hell out when there is no more Jesus for their messed up prayers.

Also thank you for pushing through. Looking forward to seeing it.

I shouldn't have said that about Scarborough. Not even in jest.

It was from growing up in Etobicoke, even though most of us had never been east of Yonge St.

"Scarborough suitcase" was another.

Like I said, I suspect many of the misfits at the rally were from all over the GTA.

You have nothing to apologize for, Casita. People talk about, or used to talk about, 'Don Millionaires', 'West Hillbillies', 'North Yokels', 'Wrexford', etc. Especially if you were playing competitive hockey (MTHL at the time). 'Scarborough Suitcase' is as much of a denigration as 'Kenora Dinner Jacket' is for anyone wearing plaid and kodiaks. It's part of the 'rich tapestry of Toronto' fergawdsakes. If you don't know it, you maybe haven't been here. So, please, lighten up.

These people are truly hopeless and helpless. I just don't think they have the reasoning skills to understand how things work. Not one of them even knew what the population of Toronto was. I asked a few simple questions about Toronto, that the average person should know but not a single one of them knew simple things like who was the first mayor of the Megga-City or who was the last mayor of Scarborough, North York or Etobicoke. Nobody could name the 5 cities/boroughs that used to make up Metropolitan Toronto. (before amalgamation) Not one person I spoke to could answer any question I asked them, yet they said they now more about Toronto than I did. lol People kept saying things like "you don't know what you're talking about " or "You don't understand how Toronto is". Almost all these people were not born in Toronto, yet they are telling me I don't know what's really happening in my own city.
It was 6 municapalities ;)
Toronto, York, East York, North York, Etobicoke, Scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back