8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker here.
I also had a call from Doug inviting me to his Town Hall ( Ward 39). The first question asked if I would vote for Doug - I answered no. Then someone asked what I would have asked - how Doug planned to pay for his subways. After an extremely long prologue about how Scarborough is being underserved and needs Doug to correct the situation, he finally answered with a collection of solutions that have been proven not to work ( development charges, air rights, private investment, govt. money, money from Build Toronto, etc.). At that point I was able to register to submit a question, but after what felt like an eternity of Doug waffling around the next caller's question, I couldn't take it anymore and hung up. Doug uses a horribly hearty voice throughout which compounds the whole dreadful experience.
Anyway, I wonder if I actually might have been given a chance to really ask a question, if I had only said I would have voted for Doug.
Btw, this forum has kept me sane these past months -it's the first thing I check in the morning and the last place I finish with at night. Thanks everyone
Welcome to UT :)
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/514956101893496832

Oh wonderful, Doug is winning...

Also, welcome gov!

I told you video.

Mayor Doug Ford?

So we were talking tonight about a few things.

Doug said Rob is going to join him on the campaign trail if he's able. Imagine the optics of hauling out a Rob Ford who may have lost a significant amount of weight, is pale and drawn looking - and stoned on pain meds. (just speculating on Rob's condition after getting blasted with three days of heavy chemo.). Ford Nation goes nuts, others jump on the sympathy train and stupid Toronto has a new Mayor named Dug on Oct. 27th.

Has Rob even put in for a LOA that we are aware of? Is the Deputy Mayor now fully authorized to handle any emergency that this city could have until early December? Anything could happen at any time, heaven forbid.

It appears Rob's cancer has metastasized, meaning his 40-something percent chance of a five-year survival is likely diminished. Would Lisi possibly reconsider flipping on Rob at trial for less time knowing Rob is likely going to be in the ground in a few yeas? Their friendship is over anyway.

Ford for thought....

Did Doug Ford attend any orientation session when he became a councillor?

The orientation sessions would be where council members learn about the departments, offices, and rules for the city and council meeetings.

Orientation sessions are for orientals who work like dogs. Tug doesn't work.

Not to bring up this woman again but the question asked in the debate mentioned the recent incident in a high school which resulted in "the death of yet another young black man". It wasn't a black kid that died, it was someone from Afghanistan.

I wonder if knowing that would change her position, or if it's all the same to her.

If anyone speaks to someone in the next day or so who is NOT FN, but who WAS impressed with Doug Ford in the debate, please post your recollections and chit-chat highlights. They would be interesting, IMO.

Well that would be me. Dare I say it here? I was shocked at how well he did. I effing hated it but there it is. And I think he's had a little assistance from modern medicine. Maybe a wee xanax?

Regarding candidates ( no names mentioned ) who behave like bullies at debates.

Remember the old quiz shows where they sealed the contestants in a sound - proof booth? They could turn your mic off if you wouldn't shut up, and turn off your A/ C fan to watch you sweat. They made a movie about it.

Wouldn't that make for an interesting debate? :cool:

I would like a debate where they are positioned a bit further apart and in a hall where their voices won't carry, so shouting doesn't do any good. they'd have to rely on microphones, and the moderator can push a button to mute a candidate's mic at any time. The moderator will interrupt you any time you say something factually incorrect or try to sneak away from the question on some irrelevant tangent. you will be muted, refuted and rebuked.

Surely very few candidates would ever agree to such conditions, but it's nice to dream. there needs to be an end to the constant stream of BS in these debates.

Doug said Rob is going to join him on the campaign trail if he's able. Imagine the optics of hauling out a Rob Ford who may have lost a significant amount of weight, is pale and drawn looking - and stoned on pain meds. (just speculating on Rob's condition after getting blasted with three days of heavy chemo.). Ford Nation goes nuts, others jump on the sympathy train and stupid Toronto has a new Mayor named Dug on Oct. 27th.

It appears Rob's cancer has metastasized, meaning his 40-something percent chance of a five-year survival is likely diminished. Would Lisi possibly reconsider flipping on Rob at trial for less time knowing Rob is likely going to be in the ground in a few yeas? Their friendship is over anyway.

Hah! I'd be more worried about Rob showing up drunk and high. Ford isn't spending his next 16 days lying on the basement couch, I promise you. He may have cancer and less than a year to live, but he's still an addict and addicts get high. As for Lisi, where do you think Ford is going to be copping his supply?

Wong Tam could have just went to the police. No need to tweet it for all to see.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Police are going to do fuck all about it, whereas sharing it has the potential to impact anyone who reads it.

For those who haven't experienced hate personally, it's shocking. We can all talk about hate in the abstract, understanding that hate speech is demeaning and hurtful, and that gay people shouldn't be subjected to abuse. It's another degree of magnitude to have to experience it viscerally by seeing what it actually looks like in practice.

For those who have experienced hate personally, it shows them that they are not alone. Wong-Tam is a well-liked and widely respected public official. She is the only openly gay member of council. Watching her persevere through such attacks with her Pride intact delivers an important message to members of the LGBTQ community.

I would like a debate where they are positioned a bit further apart and in a hall where their voices won't carry, so shouting doesn't do any good. they'd have to rely on microphones, and the moderator can push a button to mute a candidate's mic at any time. The moderator will interrupt you any time you say something factually incorrect or try to sneak away from the question on some irrelevant tangent. you will be muted, refuted and rebuked.

Surely very few candidates would ever agree to such conditions, but it's nice to dream. there needs to be an end to the constant stream of BS in these debates.

Yes! I dream about these things too. It's a dream worth holding on to.

Didn't Robbie also testify that he didn't think he needed to read the handbook because his father had been an MPP?

Something like that, someone should have told him that a MPP and Cllrs follow different rules for several points.

Well that would be me. Dare I say it here? I was shocked at how well he did. I effing hated it but there it is.

I agree. While as a "proper" debate that was horrible, it was great as a "Jerry Springer Extreme! In TO!" episode. However, politics is a game where perception can be the reality, and forgetting or ignoring that people are susceptible to emotional appeal can be a dangerous mirage. Doug IMO had the advantage of not just a rigged goon squad cheering section, but playind the debate newbie card. His bar of standard is lowered, and his success can be magnified, "This is my first time at a debate against two opponents who had a head start, and I held my own!" Thug could even skip all debates from here on forward, and stick to pressers. Thug already has a shield of Rob's cancer if anyone asks why he's ducking out of further debates.

There's two things that I thought was par for the course after the fact, but I find worrying because I forgot about them. One was Doug doubling down on everything. I fell into the Shirley mistake. Shirley, Thug won't double down on being a bully and liar, would he? Second was Rob now Doug changing\ignoring the rules or field to one that suits them better, or one that does not suit their opponents well. Rob now Thug gotten this far for this long with this tried and true schtick. IIRC TO has a weak merryl system without vetoing powers, council is still the main body in charge, yet RoDoFo still managed to bring in this level of circus with those layers of checks and balances in place.

I'm hoping that Thug just won this battle to get to the bottom of the barrel, but his war is petering out. Doug's FNation 2014 may only have the true believer zealots by now, and I'm going to bet that number may not be very large. There's only so much red meat Thug can throw at them, at the cost of driving more moderates away. I'm not sure if Fofam is betting on a "silent majority" that will back them up come october. It's not impossible, but I'm betting\hoping that's a low probability. Then again mental myopia is not limited to one side or faction. If Fofam is sticking with the scorched earth policy, the components are all there it's just a matter of bringing it together. Toxic fuel (divisions, grievances, ignorance) check. Air-waves, CP24 seems to be supplying the Fords pro bono. Heat, Doug has no problem turning it to 11.

Shirley, Doug won't raise the tension and heat to a flashpoint in a city that he says he loves, would he? Shirley..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back