News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to say that the only poll I believe is the vote itself, L-D.

As much as we enjoy kidding them, I consider FN a real political force in Toronto.

If he gets in, I can see Doug appointing Rob as Deputy Mayor. I do not see Rob going on sick leave, as long as he can still make telephone calls from his cancer bed.

I hear ya, casita. Sickness will not sway him. (Heck, Mams had his brain removed, and it hasn't made a difference.)

Another scenario I would not like is for Jude's lawsuit to move forward during November, where a judge delivers punishment and removes Rofo from the mayor's office, but without further restriction, enabling him to take up a Ward 2 seat.

ATM, there may be some possibility of an Andray win if Ward 2 feels everyone has had too much Ford. But I think that would go away if Doug is defeated.

If Rob wins and resigns Ward 2 in the coming months forcing a by-election, which younger Ford will step up to the plate? One of them will.

Just to say that the only poll I believe is the vote itself, L-D.

As much as we enjoy kidding them, I consider FN a real political force in Toronto.

If he gets in, I can see Doug appointing Rob as Deputy Mayor. I do not see Rob going on sick leave, as long as he can still make telephone calls from his cancer bed.

I'll bet dollars to donoughts that Rob will be the deputy mayor if both he and Doug win. Also, it's early to start banking on Rob's demise. No reason to believe he doesn't have a few laps left in him. We'll see what the post-chemo scans say. (Well, maybe we will.)

Last edited:
Wow does this thread move fast. There was a discussion earlier on if the Ford lies are just pathological or is it an actual backroom strategy. The lies and scandals are done so often it makes me wonder if it is actually planned. That they think if they lie and scandal so much that we all become numb to the big ones. That's why they lie over big things but also stupid sh*t as well. It reminds me a bit of the Simpsons when Monte Burns went to the doctor and the doctor said he had every germ so no particular germ can get through as all the other germs block each other like the "three stooges getting through the door scenario". Is that like the Ford's lie, they lie so much that nothing gets through?

This also brings me to Doug saying he will go to to the Gay pride parade and would that have a negative reaction to his base. Here's the scary thing, I believe Ford knows everybody knows he lies, even his base inside knows he's a weasel and will lie about anything so I am thinking he thinks/knows Ford nation will just look at that and think "There's sly Doug again, lying to those stupid f*gs just to get their vote, he doesn't mean it". Which is also why he was so comfortable to say DRL to be a priority instead of the suburb subway he always pushed his base accepts his lie and think "Hopefully that fools some downtowners to vote for our guy".

Amen to this.

Unlike many of his age, Doug seems to understand that most people seem to have accepted the idea that "all politicians lie". There is now acceptance, not just cynicism. He gets far on this.

What Doug seems to not understand is that people don't quite yet accept "all politicians lie all of the time". That's his shot in the foot.

However I do think you're dead right that FN knows he lies *sometimes* -- they're not *that* dumb -- but he lies in their best interests. As the IHTWORF quote says upthread "This guy's a pro!"

Oh, Doug is really simple. You only need to know two things to understand him completely.

1. He's an A1, grass-fed, olympic standard, world class bullshitter. He has absolutely no idea what's going to come out of his mouth until he says it.

2. He an A1, grass-fed, olympic standard, world class bully. This has allowed him to skate by on (1) because no-one close to him ever dares call him on his bullshit.

I am sort of in awe of the degree to which he is incapable of telling the truth, EVEN when it's in his interest. He just can't do it. And the combination of 1 & 2 means that he's actually surprised and offended when people don't buy his ridiculous lies.

Not really wanting to Godwin this entire thread but any student of history HAS to recognize the parallels with the rise of fascism in the late 20s and early 30s. The german political class ridiculed AH for years until he finally got some power, at which point they switched to trying to co-opt him and buy him off. At no point until it was much too late did they perceive him as a serious threat. He was always that ridiculous little blowhard with the thuggish supporters.

"Like it or not, the increasingly nasty Toronto mayoral race isn’t about issues such as transit and gridlock, affordable housing program or youth employment.

Rather, this election is all about Rob and Doug Ford."
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/10/08/ford_for_mayor.html

I suspect some will not like this article.

I think they avoided using the word itself, but it sounds like they are advocating strategic voting.

"The “Anybody-But-Ford” talk took on renewed urgency this week when Doug suggested that if he wins he might appoint Rob, who is running for a council seat, as deputy mayor."

"If the current election follows a similar pattern, Chow could find herself with barely 16-19 per cent of the votes, as many of her “supporters” abandon her and vote for Tory because they don’t to see Ford win.

That’s because it is, indeed, all about defeating the Fords."

Last edited:
I hear a lot of that from FN, "All politician lie" and that's true. All humans lie (well most of them) But like everything else, when you find out somebody lied you put yourself in that situation and wonder, was that an understandable direction. And sometimes it is, but the Ford thing is so odd that it crosses the line of logic, like lying about having a tumor in your appendix removed or your wife being jewish. That is just not your normal political or even human lie, it's bizarre. It's like comparing Rob drug and alcohol addiction saying "everybody got problems". Which is true, most of us have something that we like to change but again there is levels and standards. Getting high in a BC bar while out there for a friends family funeral, well that's f*cked up and gone way more than "Guy with a sweet tooth" Which Ford Nation compares everything as the same.

So Doug seemed to be really angry with the Sun comparing him to a chicken, then he chickens out of debates with Goldkind.

First Doug Ford is a chicken for dodging debates, then he's a Thanksgiving turkey---ladies and gentleman the evidence is in: This man is for the birds!

[video=youtube;8X_Ot0k4XJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc[/video]

Also, hate to admit it, but I'm jealous of FitMama's bod, especially those arms in the pic on the ATV! :eek:
(can't compare myself with the daughters; too big an age difference. But dammit, FitMama is older than me!)

Yes, she's clearly very fit. One of the many advantages of not having to work a full-time job to pay the bills and make ends meet. You know, just like the common folk.

Last edited:
I have to wonder how many fans there taking selfies aren't able to vote in the election. Leafs Nation is widespread.

It is hypocritical of Doug to attend a Leafs game when he voted against MLSE funding.

Last edited:
This also brings me to Doug saying he will go to to the Gay pride parade and would that have a negative reaction to his base. Here's the scary thing, I believe Ford knows everybody knows he lies, even his base inside knows he's a weasel and will lie about anything so I am thinking he thinks/knows Ford nation will just look at that and think "There's sly Doug again, lying to those stupid f*gs just to get their vote, he doesn't mean it". Which is also why he was so comfortable to say DRL to be a priority instead of the suburb subway he always pushed his base accepts his lie and think "Hopefully that fools some downtowners to vote for our guy".

There are some like that... but there are also true believers, and many of them just can't stomach that. For them the whole point is to proudly say who you are and what you believe in. And Rob is closer to that than Doug. Remember his rant at Sullie Gorman's about Tim Hudak. He was so mad that Hudak didn't say something against the raising of the Pride flag at City Hall during the Sochi Olympics. It wouldn't have mattered... the flag would have been raised anyways. Just like Ford's objections didn't matter -- there and on many other occasions -- because he's outnumbered by councillors who voted for it.

But that's not the point; the point is to register your disapproval. Hence all the 40-2 council votes; he knows he'll be the only one (plus Doug and sometimes some other wing nut) but he doesn't care. That's what some parts of FN love about Rob. They don't really "love" Doug, he's just along for the ride.

^^ By the way, regarding that attitude to try to pull votes from the centre by hiding your more extreme tendencies; the left has really excoriated Chow for doing this: "Olivia, why don't you proudly scream your NDP roots from the rooftops!?!". I don't know, I thought she was smart to try to appear more to the centre. Why does she have to preach to the converted? I wouldn't want my candidate of choice to do anything too sleazy to get elected, but I don't think they have to be pure as the driven snow, either.

Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
Goldkind: "If we had the funds in this city to do all the things that we know we need, they'd be done already."
Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
If that was true, crowd wouldn't be here tonight, Goldkind says. Maybe they'd be at the game "with Doug."

Zing!

Brian Perry @BTP1960
Doug Ford on CP24 just repeated his promise not to attend any debate that involves Ari. #TOpoli

He needs to attend every one of the now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back