News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's bad enough that he will never work in media again... thus the cash out lawsuit.
I do hope nobody got hurt.

To bring it around to the Fords... again and again we see that there's always something a little bit off with those who seek power and/or fame.

They certainly could have gotten a warrant to search the cars for those envelopes and their contents. But you're right, warrants are very specific - and by the time they got one based on their observations of the covert exchanges, one would assume the envelopes would have been gone.

Mmm, I'll let a lawyer correct me here but if they are observing a potential criminal act in person, they don't need a warrant; that's probable cause. Is a known drug dealer leaving a mysterious envelope in Rob's car probable cause? I suspect it is but I don't know what the threshold is for cops to move in on a suspected drug deal; maybe it needs to be a hand-to-hand exchange?

As for Ghomeshi, I think it's a safe bet Rob Ford has nothing to do with it. Donovan is their best investigative reporter and that suggests some interesting things about where the Ghomeshi story is going....but Fordland is unlikely to be it.

EDIT: I see that base is now well-covered :) Yeah, what Jimmi said about women seems to be the prevailing rumour but the details, that no one seems to know so far.

Last edited:
Mmm, I'll let a lawyer correct me here but if they are observing a potential criminal act in person, they don't need a warrant; that's probable cause. Is a known drug dealer leaving a mysterious envelope in Rob's car probable cause? I suspect it is but I don't know what the threshold is for cops to move in on a suspected drug deal; maybe it needs to be a hand-to-hand exchange?

Seems to me a court might issue a warrant saying the police could search a car or open the specific envelopes they saw being passed back and forth. But I can't see a judge saying, "sure, if you happen see Rob and Sandro passing envelopes again, you can stop them an open the envelopes."

What have you heard? I'm gonna go ahead and guess that he just took the creepy thing a little too far. Given that the lawsuit is about acting in bad faith, I'm guessing it means that he has been/is about to be charged with something and he's upset that he's being fired before being found guilty and convicted. It's all reinforced by the fact that he has hired Navigator, which is a PR firm known to help people manage/rescue their reputations
I wonder if it is connected to the rather nasty profile in Toronto Life? http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2014/01/28/jian-ghomeshi-cbc-q/ Though his dad died recently and he was clearly very distraught about that. He gave a very moving 'eulogy' on Q about a week or so ago.

Edit; I guess not. Just saw this on G&M website:

The CBC has ended its relationship with renowned broadcaster Jian Ghomeshi after receiving information that “precludes” the corporation from continuing to employ one of its biggest stars.

In an e-mail, CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson said “Information came to our attention recently, that in CBC's judgement, precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian Ghomeshi.”

Last edited:

I am a lawyer. :) Probable cause is an American term. If they ARE observing a criminal act in person, you're correct. They can arrest at that point, but still not necessarily search the car. If they're only observing something suspicious, that's not good enough without a warrant.

I'm pretty sure the plan was for two cycles followed by a re-assessment based on new imaging (PET-CT etc). So this seems an unscheduled admission.

The Toronto media will tell you that Rob Ford is all about the unscheduled admission.

Daniel Dale @ddale8
Ford's donor list includes the owner of the company that supplied the Sugar Beach umbrellas the Fords criticized. on.thestar.com/1wzZ9GZ.

Well, how about that!

Hehe. Apparently the dude whose company made the pink umbrellas for Sugar Beach is on Ford's donor list. This amuses me.

Daniel Dale @ddale8
As @ivortossell said, Darius Mosun's company is located beside Doug Ford's Deco. The Fords pushed to get him on the Parking Authority board.

Remember when this was denied?

I am a lawyer. :) Probable cause is an American term. If they ARE observing a criminal act in person, you're correct. They can arrest at that point but still not necessarily search the car. If they're only observing something suspicious, that's not good enough without a warrant.

No one seems to commented on 'envelopes' plural. I suppose the assumption is that "it's drugs for the mayor". But 3 or 4 different kinds? As in Crosby, Pills and Hash?

But if it's just weed from the assumed grow-op, then why multiple bags? Is it like 'one for Kathy, one for Renata, one for me?' Sorta like doing the weekly shopping,really.

I'm actually surprised at the rights the cops don't have in this Rob n Lisi surveillance thing. Back in the day a cop once told a couple of us "you better watch out if you're sharing a cigarette in the car. I could see you passing it and it might look like a joint. Passing a joint to another person is trafficking. If I have reasonable grounds to believe that you're trafficking narcotics, I can stop you and search your car. "

So was he yanking our chain, then?

No one seems to commented on 'envelopes' plural. I suppose the assumption is that "it's drugs for the mayor". But 3 or 4 different kinds? As in Crosby, Pills and Hash?

But if it's just weed from the assumed grow-op, then why multiple bags? Is it like 'one for Kathy, one for Renata, one for me?' Sorta like doing the weekly shopping,really.

I'm actually surprised at the rights the cops don't have in this Rob n Lisi surveillance thing. Back in the day a cop once told a couple of us "you better watch out if you're sharing a cigarette in the car. I could see you passing it and it might look like a joint. Passing a joint to another person is trafficking. If I have reasonable grounds to believe that you're trafficking narcotics, I can stop you and search your car. "

So was he yanking our chain, then?

Technically, he was right, if he actually believed it was a joint rather than a cigarette (which might not pass the smell test in court). But if he actually did think he saw you trafficking drugs in the car, he was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back