8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'll admit the error of my ways.

After buying a bicycle and cycling along the lake and up around High Park I admit that Parkside Drive is much too nice to run an expressway down.

We do still need another North/South highway into the city and the 400 extension DOES need to be completed. I therefore amend my propsal and instead say we should run it across Dundas and down the lower section of Bathurst. I've studied these roads extensively and an elevated (or at grade expressway) would vastly improve the community.

Please see attached map:

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-01-03%2520at%25206.27.43%2520PM.png

The connecting ramps to the Gardiner would now happen at CityPlace which everyone agrees is going to be a future St. Jamestown anyway.

:cool:

Would be difficult to do now with the gentrification along the corridor (not to mention pointless with the Union Pearson Express), but I could see a 400 extension along the rail corridor keeping west of Keele, going underground through the High Park North neighbourhood and under High Park itself connecting with the Gardiner. That said, I don't know if the physical geography of the area would support such a road underground, though this is an area where the subway is above ground which might help.

EDIT: And before anyone asks, I don't know how it would connect with the Gardiner. I'm just proposing the alignment.

Last edited:
Best place to get updated news on the appeal? A twitter hashtag? Thx.

#fordcourt or #topoli

Both The Star and the Globe have a pretty good Twitter feed off of their main pages. It'll say "live" next to the headline. The Star did a brief chat during the recent lunch break... it answered some basic questions surrounding the today's appeal.

If Rob Ford can’t be Toronto mayor, Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday ready to seek mayoral appointment

I think council's left-wing should take the Machiavellian route and appoint Doug Holyday as interim mayor, even if he refuses to rule out running for the office in 2014. Doing so would effectively split the right between Holyday (assuming he runs) and Ford (who will almost certainly run) in the next election. All the while, the left will seem reasonable and non-partisan for appointing a conservative.

If Rob Ford can’t be Toronto mayor, Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday ready to seek mayoral appointment

I think council's left-wing should take the Machiavellian route and appoint Doug Holyday as interim mayor, even if he refuses to rule out running for the office in 2014. Doing so would effectively split the right between Holyday (assuming he runs) and Ford (who will almost certainly run) in the next election. All the while, the left will seem reasonable and non-partisan for appointing a conservative.

i would love that to happen. at least Doug Holyday isn't an overgrown high school bully that throws tantrum when he doesn't get his way *cough Frod*

So does anyone have any insight as to Ford's chances of winning his appeal, now that the trial is finished? The most I've gotten was that there was so much legalese being thrown around, that no one wants to make a prediction either way.

The G&M has an article regarding this question - Odds long Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will win appeal, legal experts say.

Now that the arguments have been made, how likely is Toronto Mayor Rob Ford to win his appeal of his conflict of interest conviction?

Not very, say legal experts.

Mr. Ford, who in November was found guilty of violating the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and ordered removed from office, was in Ontario Divisional Court Monday. The three-judge panel reserved its decision.

Alan Lenczner, the Mayor’s lawyer, told the court that City Council didn’t have the authority to ask Mr. Ford to repay $3,150 he collected for his football foundation. Mr. Lenczner also argued it was a mere error in judgment when the Mayor voted on the matter at a council meeting last year.

But Leo Longo, a municipal law expert at Aird and Berlis, said he would be surprised if the three judges found the arguments persuasive.

When asked what the Mayor’s odds of winning the appeal were, Mr. Longo said, “It’s certainly a lot less than 50/50.”

Mr. Longo said he doesn’t believe the evidence is there to support the claim the Mayor made an error in judgment. He said the trial judge, Mr. Justice Charles Hackland, clearly stated Mr. Ford was “wilfully blind,” a fact that is likely to be respected by the appeal judges.

Mr. Longo said Mr. Lenczner’s argument that City Council didn’t have the authority to direct Mr. Ford to pay back the money was a stronger point, but not strong enough.

“I still don’t think that the court will be persuaded that the city was beyond its jurisdiction to direct that the money be returned,” he said.

Mr. Longo was not alone in believing Mr. Ford will lose the appeal.

Steven Skurka, a criminal defence lawyer, called both the point about the error in judgment, and another point about the amount of money being insignificant, “losing arguments.”

He said those points were already addressed in detail by Justice Hackland.

“An appeal is not a new hearing,” he said, adding it’s a time to point out errors in law.

John Mascarin, who also works in municipal law at Aird and Berlis, said he believes Justice Hackland’s decision was correct in law and Mr. Ford has a “very slim chance of success” on appeal.

“I really do think the Divisional Court should come back and should uphold Justice Hackland’s decision,” he said. “And I don’t think they’re going to start looking at a whole bunch of other things, i.e. the upheaval that it’s going to cause, the cost of a by-election,” he said.

What happens if Mr. Ford’s appeal is unsuccessful, of course, remains to be seen.

Eugene Meehan, an Ottawa lawyer, has said it could be possible for the case to reach the Supreme Court of Canada.

Mr. Longo, however, said Section 11 of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act clearly states the Divisional Court’s decision will be final.

Mr. Mascarin said he would be surprised if the case reaches the country’s highest court.

“I always thought final meant final,” he said.

So there's 3 experts weighing in on the appeal trial... all of them agree Ford will likely lose the appeal.

The G&M has an article regarding this question - Odds long Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will win appeal, legal experts say.

So there's 3 experts weighing in on the appeal trial... all of them agree Ford will likely lose the appeal.

And they may all be correct. Ford may lose the appeal however in reading their comments none of these three "experts" have offered any actual reasoning behind their predictions.

Mr. Longo simply says that the arguments weren't "strong enough" . Skurka called the work of the Ford team "losing arguments" but doesn't explain what makes them losing arguments. He goes on to say " “An appeal is not a new hearing,” he said, adding it’s a time to point out errors in law." Did he not read the factum written by Ford's Lawyers? They pointed out what they believed were four major errors in Law. John Mascarin simply says that he believes that Judge Hackland was "correct" and that Ford has a “very slim chance of success”. This is what passes for legal analysis in our media. Asking Lawyers what they think will happen without digging deeper to find out why they think that will be the outcome.

Edit: I just saw CDR's post above after posting my comments. Looks like I am right on cue! LOL

Last edited:
So does anyone have any insight as to Ford's chances of winning his appeal, now that the trial is finished? The most I've gotten was that there was so much legalese being thrown around, that no one wants to make a prediction either way.

What needs to be made clear is that this isn't a re-trial, it's the defendant asking a panel of judges to look at Hackland's ruling for errors. His ruling was very clear and convingly debunked all the arguments made by Ford's lawyer. I think they will confirm the judgement and Ford will be out of office before February.

I agree. Holyday will continue the will of the voters by providing continuity to the "respect for taxpayers" mantra. He is both competent and lacking in a big personality so can keep city hall quiet for the next 2 years. I think he could win re-election if he runs in 2014 but as you point out, Ford will not stay out and will run again. The vote split will bring a progressive to power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back