News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's only 2 years into his first term and he's already achieved more than Miller did. Of course John Torry would be great. But he ain't an option anymore. Michael Thompson is a weirdo.

If I were to hand-pick a replacement for Rob Ford from the current list of Councillors, Michael Thompson would be at the top of the list. The reason is very simple. Thompson is the ONLY politician currently active in this city who has had the courage to publicly take on Bill Blair. Every other politician of every political stripe (including Ford) are complete cowards when it come to Bill Blair and the police.

I consider our corrupt and incompetent Police Force to be the number one problem facing this city. Having a Mayor who is not afraid to take on the police is therefore the MOST important qualification for me. Olivia Chow is a favorite front-runner on the left but look at her history with Toronto Police. NOT ONCE in the aftermath of the G20 did she speak critically of the conduct of the Toronto Police Force under NDP appointed Bill Blair. Oh sure, Chow and her late husband railed against Harper for having the audacity to bring a world-class event like the G20 to Toronto but not once did they speak out against the countless abuses against innocent civilians that took place in both their back yards! Of course they had to know that Toronto Police had "the goods" on Jack Layton and perhaps they both kept quiet about the terrible police abuses lest the Police leak up-till-then secret information on Jack's visits to sex-parlors.

On the "right" John Tory is often mentioned as a desirable replacement for Ford but again when it comes to Bill Blair and the Police John Tory is a total kiss-ass. He often has Blair on his radio show and it is sickening to listen to John Tory fawn over Bill Blair.

If we could solve our very serious Police problem a lot of other problems in this city could be solved. For example, how many people realize that Vancouver has policing costs ~$35,000 LESS than Toronto on a per officer basis? If Toronto's policing costs were in line with Vancouver (hardly a low cost city!) the Police budget would be about $200 MILLION LESS per year! Think of all the problems we could solve with an extra $200 Million a year! It could help to finance subway construction and repairs to the Gardiner for starters.

Last edited:
Thank you, Peepers, for getting this thread closer to back on topic, even if I disagree with much of what you say.

Thompson's an interesting wildcard.

Though I don't like all the Layton conspiracies you mention and what the loons in the comment sections always bring up whenever Jack Layton is mentioned (oh noes, he paid market rent in a mixed income residential complex! My gawd! Layton once was caught at a massage parlour!) Seriously, if the police were out to get "St. Jack" they would have - look at the living hell they made Susan Eng's life. Eng (now at CARP) is beyond reproach, but dared to take on the police when she was chair of the police board. By the time of the G20 fiasco, both Layton and Chow were MPs and had no say as to municipal or provincial policing, but as you said spoke against having that held here without long-term planning. The TPS screwed up Saturday and Fantino's OPP made the calls on Sunday.

Last edited:
I consider our corrupt and incompetent Police Force to be the number one problem facing this city.

Well you just lost all credibility with a blanket statement like that.

Really, the number one problem facing our city is the police? Really?

And the force is corrupt and incompetent? Really?

Grow up.

Oh noes, Layton paid market rent in a mixed income residential complex! My gawd! Layton once was caught at a massage parlour!

Well he did and he did.

Either of those show much more lack of moral character than trying to get funding for a high school football charity or oh noes, reading while stopped in traffic.

Layton was a fraud.

Well he did and he did.

Either of those show much more lack of moral character than trying to get funding for a high school football charity or oh noes, reading while stopped in traffic.

Layton was a fraud.

Sorry? How does paying market rent in a mixed income residential complex show lack of moral character? He paid market rent, not the subsidized rent that the low income residents paid. If anything it shows that he's willing to live by his NDP ideals and is more than just talk.

Oh brother, these arguments are getting to be like claiming that a demolition-fasttracking developer has "more moral character" than designation-fasttracking preservationists...

Last edited:
He paid market rent, not the subsidized rent that the low income residents paid. If anything it shows that he's willing to live by his NDP ideals and is more than just talk.
Why did he move when his situation was made public?

Well you just lost all credibility with a blanket statement like that.
Really? There's been plenty of evidence that there is corruption issues within the police force. If not currently, at least recently. And lots of evidence of incompetence as well - look at how they botched that recent SIU investigation (though perhaps that's an example of corruption and not incompetence).

Though I'd hardly say it's the number one issue. I'd put it quite far down the list. The corruption and incompetence in the mayor's office would rank much higher in my opinion.

Please don't insult people just because you disagree with them.

Well he did and he did.

Layton was a fraud.

There's something someone said once about feeding trolls, but I'll bite.

What's ethically wrong with paying market rent in a mixed income residential complex whose goal is to have a blend of incomes in that building? That's what it was designed for! If the "rub-and-tug" business is as bad as dregs like SAL make it out to be, it's still a petty thing to keep bringing up, because we all know politicians of all stripe have perfect, clean, wholesome family values. Like Vic Toews. Or Maxime Bernier. Or Mel Lastman. Or Adam Giambrone. Or Pierre Trudeau. Or Rob Ford for that matter.

How about misappropriating city staff and resources to have the family business cleaned up? Or using city staffers to help with a personal hobby during business hours?

Last edited:
What's ethically wrong with paying market rent in a mixed income residential complex whose goal is to have a blend of incomes in that building? That's what it was designed for! If the "rub-and-tug" business is as bad as dregs like SAL make it out to be, it's still a petty thing to keep bringing up, because we all know politicians of all stripe have perfect, clean, wholesome family values. Like Vic Toews. Or Maxime Bernier. Or Mel Lastman. Or Adam Giambrone. Or Pierre Trudeau. Or Rob Ford for that matter.
What's wrong is that no one is promoting sainthood for "Vic Toews. Or Maxime Bernier. Or Mel Lastman. Or Adam Giambrone. Or Pierre Trudeau. Or Rob Ford for that matter". They have all proven to be mortal and paid a price for their follies, we expect no less of Jack.

Just another Troll I guess.

What's wrong is that no one is promoting sainthood for "Vic Toews. Or Maxime Bernier. Or Mel Lastman. Or Adam Giambrone. Or Pierre Trudeau. Or Rob Ford for that matter". They have all proven to be mortal and paid a price for their follies, we expect no less of Jack.

Just another Troll I guess.

It may be argued that re the "market rent in a mixed income residential complex" thing, Jack Layton *already* paid is price--by losing the 1991 Toronto mayoral election...

Oh, and Toews and Bernier were reelected handily, post-"follies". And Trudeau's arguably still in the "sainthood promotion" camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back